Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
msmitka

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 2 DR LB
Driver's Side Front Roof Pillar & Visibility

I've had my Yaris now for 2 weeks. Love it. But, comparing the driver's seat visibility (when looking to the left - turning for example) to my Mustang, I feel like I'm wearing an eye patch in the Yaris. The sloping pillar seems too wide, and in exactly the wrong place. Maybe it just takes some getting used to. Anyone else feel the same way?
msmitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Marfulion

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
In time you will forget about that.
Marfulion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

It takes getting used to, but DON'T forget about it! There is a blind spot on each side that can hide cars. You have to be aware and look around carefully at intersections.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
msmitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
It takes getting used to, but DON'T forget about it! There is a blind spot on each side that can hide cars. You have to be aware and look around carefully at intersections.
Absolutely. I'm used to having the "typical" blind spot, but this is a bit like having "obstructed view seating".
Old 10-24-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I think it's a matter of being used to something and adapting. I've heard other people complaining about the visibility in the Yaris, but when I switched from my Jeep Cherokee to the Yaris, I had the feeling that the visibility improved considerably...
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:03 AM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Just be glad you dont have a sedan. You cant see anything. Extreme blind spot. I had to buy one of those broadway convex mirrors. Now i have no blind spots =)
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
msmitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Just be glad you dont have a sedan. You cant see anything. Extreme blind spot. I had to buy one of those broadway convex mirrors. Now i have no blind spots =)
I think I'll be picking up a few of those stick-on blind spot mirrors for the outside side-view mirrors, but it's mostly just the thickness and position of that down-slanting pillar that drives me nuts. That, and if I could get one more backward travel notch out of the driver's seat. But, these are things I'll live with. If that's the only things that come up, I'll be thrilled.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
msmitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
the Yaris has one of the best visibility of recent cars, i love it. just make sure you actually move your head around when checking your blindspots. mirrors plus turning your head will make it a snap
Uh oh. So now, I'm wondering: What's wrong with *me*? I have started to move/turn to look, etc. I'm sure it'll be fine. I appreciate the info/suggestions from you and the others as well.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The danger with the roof pilar is making a left hand turn. It can very easily block off a pedestrian crossing the street. You really need to makean effort to look a few times.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
BaknBlak

Drives: Black '07 HB A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The danger with the roof pilar is making a left hand turn. It can very easily block off a pedestrian crossing the street. You really need to makean effort to look a few times.
That is so true. There is 1 company adressing this problem, I think its Volvo. They put in 3 small solid metal supports(in a triangular shape) with 45 degree bracing between them, and wrapped it in a clear plastic. You can see right through it.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
msmitka

Quote:
Yes, the left turn scenario is where it's the biggest issue.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:

You're driving a vehicle a ton. You should probably "make an effort to look a few times" regardless of the pillar situation.

I agree with PK. Move your head, sit up straight(you'll be able to reach the steering wheel that way too.....) and there isn't a problem.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
2009BBPliftback

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB in Blazing blue
Send a message via AIM to 2009BBPliftback
I've noticed with cars with side curtain airbags that the front a pillars seem to be larger. I'm guessing this is to hide all the hardware that comes with the side curtains. just move your head around to look I've found it easy to adapt to.
2009BBPliftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Yep, the airbags make the pillars bigger out of necessity. All cars have blind spots. You need to learn where they are and be cautious about them. As mentioned, head movement lets you look around them. If you're not careful, people and cars can be hidden in them.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Do you have neck problems? I don't find my sedan any worse than other 4 door vehicles. Perhaps this is because I'm accustomed to driving heavy trucks which of course have now centre rear-view mirror view. This forces one to use the side mirror properly and be more aware of the surrounding traffic.
That said, there is one off ramp / left turn where my vision to the right is obstructed by the passengers head rest and door pillar. Not a biggy as I'm stopped there anyway. Aside from that one case I really don't find any other glaring vision shortcomings. I do enjoy our sedans extra large side mirrors. Almost truck-like.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:18 AM   #16
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
with the '98 honda civic lx i had before my yaris, i really felt the way the OP does but rather than the pillar, it was the placement of the side view mirror that made me feel like i was driving with a left eye patch on...i think (and as others have mentioned) that it has a lot to do with seat positioning because i don't feel that way with the yaris...the large front window really opened things up for me after having been used to the view in my civic...
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post

You're driving a vehicle a ton. You should probably "make an effort to look a few times" regardless of the pillar situation.

Toyota is making millions of vehicles weighing over a ton. Itd be a lot better if they made them so you can see out at all times. Probably more effective than pillar air bags. (being able to easily and intuitively see peds)
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #18
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Overtime you'll get use to the blind spots on the Yaris and learn to work around them.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote