Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Towing

I want to tow a paddle boat and camping gear this summer. Has anyone had any personal experience towing with the Yaris....especially an automatic?
churp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
The owners manual has some info about towing.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
The owners manual has some info about towing.
Yeah, it said you shouldn't. But for the canadian Yaris it states you can safely tow up to 700 lbs. Perfect for a utility trailer or a small fishing boat, or a bike rack. I have found a site (but since forgot) that does sell a tow hitch for the liftback. I have found more for the sedan though... If you keep the tow weight low (no camping trailers, look up youtube for a pretty good video of a small car towing a camping trailer up a big hill.) and not climb any mountains you should be fine. If I stumble (or anyone else for that matter) upon the link for the liftback/sedans tow hitch, I will post it here.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:49 AM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I tow my lovely lady lumps eevvveerryyy day.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
churp

hiddenhitch.com has 2 types ...one that is hidden from view when not in use. They aren't listed on their site under Toyota you have to search 'Yaris' from their site. I'm going to go for it, but was just wondering if anyone had realtime experience. And since the rest of the world allows towing figured it should be ok in the US,,,just the stupid warranty issues.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAfZ1N56qjY
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
churp

Old 04-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vervepipes View Post
SWEET! You found the exact video I was talking about. You should never tow anything larger than your vehicle, unless you have a good truck! lol
Old 04-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #9
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
I found the video pretty quick, I just had to see it, and I'm getting pretty good at finding the "I once saw a video on..." ones on youtube lol
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Gonna revive a thread for warranty question.

So considering the US doesn't have a tow rating...how does this work on the warranty...considering you are doing something which isn't "recomended?"
rningonfumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #11
Nelson

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Re Warranty: So long as towing something does not cause the problem that you are trying to get covered under warranty, then there should be no problem with your warranty.

I have installed a hidden hitch on my '08 Yaris hatchback automatic. It was completely painless and took about 20 minutes. We're talking way easy here.

Both Hidden Hitch and DrawTite make serveral hitch options. They are typically between $100 and $200. They are all Class I hitches which have a 2000 lb gross trailer weight and 200 lb tung weight limit.

The Yaris is rated for NO towing in the US, 700 lbs gross & 70 lbs tung in Canada, and I think 900 lbs gross and 90 lbs tung weight in Australia. Probably because there is less gravity in Canada and Astralia than there is in the US.

The Yaris tows light trailers just great. With an automatic, I wouldn't do much mountain travel without a transmission cooler, but heck, you can probably max out the hitch limits for short flatland towing.

The hardest part of setting up towing for a trailer is the wiring for the trailer, but even that is pretty straight forward. You have to buy a little converter box for $15 - $50 and they don't make T-connectors for the Yaris that I could find, so you have to tap into the tail light wiring using QuickSplices (probably took about an hour all together).
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:29 AM   #12
drbilal

Drives: BELTA SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
SWEET! You found the exact video I was talking about. You should never tow anything larger than your vehicle, unless you have a good truck! lol
Oh f**k lol. I try not to laugh as that looks quite dangerous but I cant help it.
drbilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
Curt and hidden hitch both make hitches for the LB and the sedan. Run around 130 bucks with both the hitch and the draw bar.

U.S. yaris are not to be towed with via the owners manual but the canadian models can tow up to 700 lbs. Don't know why the difference.

If you tow and have a drive line issue with warranty toyota will probably laugh at covering it. Chance you take.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
Callisto

Drives: '08 Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vervepipes View Post
"He's burning a bit rich." Tee Hee
Callisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:34 AM   #15
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
I want to tow a paddle boat and camping gear this summer. Has anyone had any personal experience towing with the Yaris....especially an automatic?
I think you're gonna regret it over the long term.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #16
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Don't diss the paddle boat!

You'll be fine as long as you don't have too much back there, and you properly balance the load. I towed a ancient small utility trailer I bought on craigslist (because it was cheaper than u-haul) about 1,000 miles to california and I averaged 30mpg and the car performed great, even on hills. You'll be fine as long as you use common sense.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #17
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I got the DrawTite Class I hitch from AutoAnything.com, and the only problem I had was that one of the bolts was impossible to get a wrench on. I ended up putting in from the other direction and using a locknut on the outside.

I don't tow a trailer yet, but use it for a hitch basket and bike rack nearly every other weekend without any trouble. Even though it is not tow rated in US, I was pretty confident as it rated for towing in Canada and UK.

I would suggest keeping with a trailer less than 6 feet long, but otherwise you should be OK.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #18
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
As it is snowing here now, I am thinking of this spring and biking. I am thinking of
getting a tow hitch mounted bike rack, as I think the Saris Bones model might scratch
the back. I didn't care about scratches on the old car, but do care about the new one.
I usually just have one bike on there, but want the ability to carry at least two.

Has anyone found out why they don't recommend a tow hitch on the US model, even
for a bicycle rack??
Is there anything underneath that would need to be reinforced for a hitch?
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote