Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
gabriel2012

Drives: 2011 Base Sedan
Help me pick a trip computer + a question about gas miles per tank bar

Hey guys first of all I would like to know if there are cheaper options to the scan guage 2 that work with the 2007 yaris hatch.

second and randomly, how many miles do you get for each bar of gas on the guage? I get around 42 avrg and mines an automatic. (my driving habbits are mostly city here in Puerto Rico, no more than 60mph and I always start off smoothly after a stop, using mobil1 5w-20 synth with mobil1 filter and the weather is mostly hot so the a/c is on most of the time on 3 and sometimes 2 when it gets to a decent temp, replaced airfilter recently aswell)
the last time I calculated my MPG was when I got the car around 3 years ago and I really don't remember so I'll start to count the next time I fill up.

Last edited by gabriel2012; 05-21-2012 at 09:06 PM.
gabriel2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel2012 View Post
Hey guys first of all I would like to know if there are cheaper options to the scan guage 2 that work with the 2007 yaris hatch.
I recently purchased a ScanGauge E for about 100$ Canadian and I just love it. I didn't think I needed all the items that the scan gauge 2 did, so I chose the E model. I am quite happy with my purchase. I also have a 2007 Yaris hatch .. so I can tell you that the ScanGauge E works just fine in that model. It will also do rpm, voltage and many other things that the ScanGauge 2 will do.

Last edited by edmscan; 05-21-2012 at 10:40 PM.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
There's the Ultra-Gauge for about $70-$80 (depending if you get the rebate).

Bigger, brighter display which shows much more info than Scan Gauge II.

I just ordered mine over the weekend and will be getting it in a couple days.
I will be reviewing it in the next week. Can't wait to get it.

There was no way I was spending $160+ for the SGII which seems old fashioned against the Ultra-Gauge.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Let us know how accurate it is . Especially the number gallons left when nearing empty . We've considered one of these for the '08 sedan . Thanks .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I've got both a scangauge2 and an ultragauge (I keep the SG2 in the cavalier and the UG in the yaris). they both do the job very well but the UG was not out when I originally bought my SG2.

the accuracy is in the calibration. follow the procedure and check it a few times. amazing how accurate it is. the SG2 does have a few features I personally like. the cable disconnects. this is huge when I am helping out friends with their trouble codes. I have mine routed through the car so it is "pretty". with the UG I really can't take it out (not easily) with the SG2 I have an extra cable and I just unclip it.

all that being said, the UG is a very functional device. I am more biased because I have had my SG2 for around 4.5 years or so. they both work and work well. if money is the issue, go for the UG.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
403RS
#yyc

Drives: BSP '07 RS 5dr LB
Sweet, noticed that UG finally has the unit with mount back in stock!

Expected ship date, May 28th. :p
403RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
bars per gauge will be different because the Yaris' gas tank has a rubber inner bladder that readily expands and contracts with variations in weather. Also the first one will always be more because the in tank gauge does not go all the way to the top.

People have reported running out of gas with the gauge reporting 2 bars empty. Has not happened to me though.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I recently purchased a ScanGauge E for about 100$ Canadian and I just love it. I didn't think I needed all the items that the scan gauge 2 did, so I chose the E model. I am quite happy with my purchase. I also have a 2007 Yaris hatch .. so I can tell you that the ScanGauge E works just fine in that model. It will also do rpm, voltage and many other things that the ScanGauge 2 will do.
I also have the ScanGauge E & really like it.
Plus it fits perfectly on top of the steering column.
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #9
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Happened to me, just once. Since then, I have operated on the odometer, and the fuel gauge just goes on telling lies. 2 bars? Out of fuel? What a surprise THAT is...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
403RS
#yyc

Damn, arrived at home already! Talk about a quick turnaround.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
People have reported running out of gas with the gauge reporting 2 bars empty. Has not happened to me though.
Scary! I tend to watch my odo anyways, just to gauge my own "real-time" economy. I'd probably flip if mine did that! *knocks on wood*
Old 05-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
jay cobbs

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan 4 speed auto
Arrow TRied Ultrameter didnt work....might for you

Just bought a Ultra meter direct from web site Looked good with multi display and small size but 5 dash warning lights came on when pluged to the OBDII port right off. had to unplug and shut off engine and drive around to clear warning dash lights. not to happy. was pluged in for 10 mins and wouldnt find prper code on yaris sedan. I guess what Im saying is stay with scan gauge or found a KIWI MPG METER at frys and amazon that looks easy. Good luck. Thats from Jay...Gotta go Play....Have a great one today.....
jay cobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
jay cobbs

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan 4 speed auto
Arrow the scangauge is good, also the kiwi mpg mini meter will do the trick

Hello. just bought a ultra gauge direct and made 5 hazard lights on the dash go on...STAY AWAY FOR THAT ONE. havent tried the kiwi MPG meter but has small size and great reviews and under 100.00. can mount by steering colum or by tach and speed gauges on top. read all on-line manuals before installing and a fill up to set the mpg meter part. .youll be glad you did then panicing down the road really if it malfunctions.....not worth a accident.
jay cobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
Chuck G

Jay, get the ScanGauge E.
Trust me, it was made for you car
Old 05-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck G View Post
Jay, get the ScanGauge E.
Trust me, it was made for you car
I have a ScanGauge E .. and it is a great unit. I am very happy that I made the decision to get one. I use it mainly for my instantaneous and average fuel efficiency, but like the ScanGauge II it will also do other things like RPM and Coolant temperature among other things.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
403RS
#yyc

No issues with the UG thus far. Haven't go into the calibration modes and whatnot yet, so my average mpg is in the 1000+ range, haha.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
Chuck G

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I have a ScanGauge E .. and it is a great unit. I am very happy that I made the decision to get one. I use it mainly for my instantaneous and average fuel efficiency, but like the ScanGauge II it will also do other things like RPM and Coolant temperature among other things.
I've really just scratched the surface with mine.
My main screen is coolant temp / speedometer
I really like having a digital speedometer in front of me for some reason.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #18
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck G View Post
I've really just scratched the surface with mine.
My main screen is coolant temp / speedometer
I really like having a digital speedometer in front of me for some reason.
I use my ScanGauge E for monitoring my mileage. The only thing that I wish is that there was a way to have to the average mpg be calculated per tank as compared to per trip. If anyone knows if this is possible please let me know.