Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #55
oliveskate

Drives: Toyota Yaris
My brother has a 07 Yaris with Stock battery (94000kms), and my 08 Yaris with 78000kms still has the stock battery.
oliveskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #56
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
When my original battery was not going to make it through the day (at just over 138k miles) I took it to Wal-Mart to have the battery replaced (they had the best price/warranty fulfillment scenario at the time). They went to put in a #35 battery and it wouldn't fit. I said I didn't care if a #35 was installed or not, just put in a size (at that price and warranty) that fits. They said 'their book' says #35 and they aren't allowed to put anything except a #35 in, which they couldn't do because it wouldn't fit. I didn't trust that they were paying enough attention to detail, so I went out to look at the car to make certain what they were saying was the case, and it was....so I had to go elsewhere. I went to Sears and got their Plus Start 1 year battery (49 dollars and change) and 76K + miles and 2 years and 8 months + later it is still working. THE REP AT SEARS SAID #35 IS THE WRONG CODE, THAT 26R IS THE CORRECT CODE---THEY PUT A 26R IN MY 2007 Yaris 3-Door 5MT AND IT FIT PERFECTLY. I'm not saying that my experience would follow for Yari different than mine (different transmission, body, etc.), but if anyone is putting in their own battery, and a parts store is telling them to use # 35, I would measure the battery in the store and then go out and measure the battery that is currently in your car.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #57
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
....ooops, actually 78k + miles later ( >216k, - 138k = >78k not 76k).
Old 05-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #58
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
that is really messed up. 35 fit in my car perfectly, no idea why it wouldn't fit in yours.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #59
nookandcrannycar

Ahh.. battery code 'puzzle' solved while I was attending to unrelated Yaris items. I went into an AutoZone today for several non battery reasons. While there, I thought it would be interesting to know which battery code they show for my car, so I asked. It turns out their system shows more than 2 codes for my car, with two of the codes being 35 and 26R. The rep said the different codes showing will all fit and work just fine in my car. This led to a bit more discussion. It turns out that a particular code is not synonymous with a specific size, that there are multiple sizes within the same code. I shook my head. I asked (somewhat rhetorically) if it's possible that both a service writer and a technician at Wal-Mart would not know that there are different sizes within the same code re batteries. The AutoZone rep laughed and said it is entirely possible. I didn't write down all of the possibilities (nor have him scroll down to show more correct codes), because when I need to replace my battery I'm just going to get another Sears Plus Start 26R. However, If anyone needs a new battery and is in some location where they can't get a code 35, call or visit an AutoZone and they can tell you what else will fit and work properly.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #60
David C.

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3 door, blue.
Just a thought, I bought a 92 Toyota PU in 97 and added some sort of battery additive to the cells and that battery lasted at least 9 years. I was remembering recently and did some searches and found a thread where a poster said epsom salts would do the same thing to a battery. Well, my truck has been mostly sitting for a long time (especially since I got my Yaris) and last fall the battery gave up. Realizing that I needed to start and run the thing at least 15 minutes every couple of months or so the seals wouldn't dry out, I jumped it recently a couple of times to run the motor and on a whim, added water and about half a teaspoon of epsom salt to each cell in the old battery (it's pushing ten years old). I figured if it died, I'm way overdue getting a new battery anyway so a scientific experiment if you will.

Well lo and behold and glory be, after driving about four miles (over to a gas station to air up the tires, let it idle while doing so), this battery has cranked just fine ever since for maybe three weeks now. Thinking of adding some epsom salt and distilled water to my 2007 Yaris stock battery now!
David C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #61
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Ahh.. battery code 'puzzle' solved while I was attending to unrelated Yaris items. I went into an AutoZone today for several non battery reasons. While there, I thought it would be interesting to know which battery code they show for my car, so I asked. It turns out their system shows more than 2 codes for my car, with two of the codes being 35 and 26R. The rep said the different codes showing will all fit and work just fine in my car. This led to a bit more discussion. It turns out that a particular code is not synonymous with a specific size, that there are multiple sizes within the same code. I shook my head. I asked (somewhat rhetorically) if it's possible that both a service writer and a technician at Wal-Mart would not know that there are different sizes within the same code re batteries. The AutoZone rep laughed and said it is entirely possible. I didn't write down all of the possibilities (nor have him scroll down to show more correct codes), because when I need to replace my battery I'm just going to get another Sears Plus Start 26R. However, If anyone needs a new battery and is in some location where they can't get a code 35, call or visit an AutoZone and they can tell you what else will fit and work properly.
Yes, there can be some differnces between batteres with the same number .
In other words..... consider a #35 for example.......
All the #35 means is that the terminals will be in the right position and it falls within the #35 specs for max hight, width, depth, etc which allows for some variations. So, not all batteries of a given number are all exactly the same but, they should still all be interchangeable. BTW, I believe that 26r and 35 are interchangable but, the 26r has less capacity. I don't know why Walmart said a #35 would not fit.... perhaps they had no idea what they were doing.

Since the Yaris is only made in Japan and is shipped intenationally to different climates, perhaps that is why a 26r is listed also.

BTW, just about all batteries brands sold in the US are made by only two companies, "Exide" and "Johnsons Controls" .

Last edited by RedRide; 05-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #62
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

3 actually, you missed East Penn, which makes Deka, Braille, and happens to have the largest single battery manufacturing site in the US.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #63
nookandcrannycar

I was looking at the house brand 'red' Duralast battery while doing some general shopping at my local AutoZone store, as I mentioned in a previous post. The code was located on the Duralast and many of their other batteries. The Duralast 26R and the Duralast 35 series were both, at the time of my recent visit. a few pennies under 100.00 bucks -- the same price. The 35 saw had 500 CCA and the 26R was either 525 CCA or 535 CCA....not a good value -- I'll take the Sears Plus Start (that I mentioned in previous posts -- my current battery) over the Duralast at half the cost. I asked the AutoZone rep why anyone would pick the 35 when the red Duralast battery in 26R has more CCA. He said because the particular red Duralast 26R I was looking at and the particular red Duralast 35 I was looking at might not be meant to go in the same car -- this is what led to the different sizes under the same code discussion. I just looked on the AutoZone website just to see what information would happen to be there. After clicking on Batteries you must go through a 5 stage process of filling out information re your car (not a long process) and then a screen comes up where you can enter a zip code or click on the link next to that field that allows you to browse without a store. I chose to browse without a store. The next page then appeared with the Yaris engine details, a picture of the red Duralast battery, and several links Batteries, Battery Cables, etc. I clicked on Battery and 5 choices came up.....and not a one of them was the red Duralast! I returned to the homepage to choose a store to see if this would make any difference re which batteries were displayed --- it didn't. The only change was that the prices had been populated into each choice. The rep, when I was in the store, accidently scrolled just a small small bit while showing me the screen from his search --- just enough to see from the arrow that the scroll list was long. ALSO---THE FIRST CHOICE OF THE AFOREMENTIONED 5 ON THE AUTOZONE WEBSITE IS A 35 AND IS SANS ANY NOTES RE SIZE, BUT THE REMAINING 4 CHOICES STATE THAT A HEIGHT ADAPTER IS REQUIRED AND TO CHECK FOR HOOD CLEARANCE -- (!!!????!!!) -- these remaining 4 include 2 code 35 and 2 code 26R --- all state check for hood clearance and the 26R choices state a top height adapter is needed and the code 35 choices state a bottom height adapter is needed (these 2 code 35 choices are both Optima).
Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 AM   #64
RedRide

Yes, the Optima #35 is shorter than a "stock" #35. I had an Optima #35 in my Celica and used the hight adaptor to use ther stock hold down "J" rods which would be otherwise too long.

However, some Celica owners installed a tower brace and the shorter height gave some additional clearance for the braces that would normally be a very tight fit with a stock battery height. One just needed to get shorter hold down rods.

Anyway, the height adaptor is just a plastic base that the battery sits on.
I do not know what the "top" height adaptor is all about.

BTW, I know of some Celica owners who installed a Duralast #35 "red" and it fit perfectly. So, I have to assume it will also fit a Yaris as they both come stock with a #35.

Last edited by RedRide; 05-20-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #65
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
3 actually, you missed East Penn, which makes Deka, Braille, and happens to have the largest single battery manufacturing site in the US.
I refered to battey "brands". Exide and Johnson Controls do make the majority of all the brands as I said.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #66
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

lol. =p

The battery in my car came from sears too. They were even less expensive than Wal-Mart. And probably enough CCA to start 4 or 5 Yaris.

And the top of the line from sears has 700+CCA. Totally insane.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #67
Vioz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Vioz
I have 120k miles on my 2008 sedan with the original battery, car only died once because i had the radio playing while the car was off for sometime but I just left it off for 30 minutes and went to try to turn it on and it turned on, besides that no problems so far :)

Vioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #68
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
R.I.P
November 2005 - July 2013

186,746km
Old 07-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #69
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
110000 km still working but it might be dying on me coz if i dont use the car for 4-5 days car had hard time cranking..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #70
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I had ~113k on my 2007 Corolla's battery and never had any problems. Even started right up on those near -20F mornings.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #71
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
07 85k miles original battery and still going strong! If you guys are having issues, I'd recommend a battery MINDer plus. I got mine from Amazon.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #72
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Toyota battery

I have heard a lot of good things about the Toyota battery.
The dealio is that the price is very competitive if not cheaper than others.
Next battery will be a Toyota.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote