Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Yaris One-make race in Thailand

Gonna try and join next season (2008, too late to enter for 2007 ), but there are some pretty strict guidelines as to car modifications. Engine must be stock (headers, intake and exhaust mods allowed), rollcage and proper bucket seats required, etc...

Anyway found a few nice pics to whet your appetites:

http://www.pbase.com/hughden/image/59419896/original

http://www.pbase.com/hughden/image/59420026

This is the Bira International Circuit track where all the action happens:

http://www.afos.com/admin/event/images/bira_circuit.jpg

Official (outdated) site: http://www.biracircuit.com/

I'll have to find more info after the new year about public access, track days and so on for practice, and will be sure to post update here!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:13 AM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Do it man! You have a wonderful platform to start with already.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:43 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Do it man! You have a wonderful platform to start with already.
Thanks, though at the moment it would be like a Sumo wrestler trying to run a marathon...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
the_saint
50% borikén

Drives: 06 Mazda5, 90 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Thanks, though at the moment it would be like a Sumo wrestler trying to run a marathon...
^^ROFL!

You know, you're gonna have to ditch those beautiful shoes

Garson - D.A.D. aero
Zuenglein Dolci wheels
the_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
in thailand do you need a racing liscense to race wheel to wheel?
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

well... there's a bit of a problem...

All cars need to be modified to a certain specification (as you can see in the pictures, same aero parts, same rims, etc), and have the car approved byt the company which organises the one-make race. This specification is very different from what I have... Sooo I'd need to re-modify the car to those specs, which would be a pretty expensive proposition...

What's another option, though, is to buy a pre-modified Yaris from that same company. It's roughly the same price as a basic model, but is ready to join the race. Only thing is that it's not street legal (no registration/license plate), so that would be the only extra expense, unless I get the car towed to and from the track...

Decisions decisions.... Getting an extra car would allow me to mod my current one to my heart's desire...

But I think the first step would be to get on the track and get a feel for it first Gonna be pretty busy until the end of the year, so we'll have to wait til January...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
in thailand do you need a racing liscense to race wheel to wheel?
AFAIK for this level of racing a normal street license is enough. I'll try to go to the organising company's office next week to get as much details as possible.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
AFAIK for this level of racing a normal street license is enough. I'll try to go to the organising company's office next week to get as much details as possible.
just an FYI ANY racing in the states that is "wheel to wheel" (meaning two or more people on a track actually trying to beat each other) requires a racing liscense (if it's on a road course).

and there is alot of money prepping a car exactly to the rules, buying a pre built car isn't a bad idea, but you'd also want a tow vehicle, not all race cars get to drive home on their own power after an event.
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
just an FYI ANY racing in the states that is "wheel to wheel" (meaning two or more people on a track actually trying to beat each other) requires a racing liscense (if it's on a road course).

and there is alot of money prepping a car exactly to the rules, buying a pre built car isn't a bad idea, but you'd also want a tow vehicle, not all race cars get to drive home on their own power after an event.
Aah I see... well I still only have sketchy details about the license, but I'll be sure to ask.

A street yaris towing a race yaris would be cool, and the track's only about 2 hours away on the highway, so that should not be a problem.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #10
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
A street yaris towing a race yaris would be cool

yeah, that would be SWEET!!
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #11
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
but the Q here is, if you can buy a race car... why not just buy something that is actually fast? :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #12
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
but the Q here is, if you can buy a race car... why not just buy something that is actually fast? :)
WELL he said in an earlier post that he is the kind of guy that you would normally see driving a bmw or a lexus or something like that. And we all saw his house:) and his mods but, he said he likes to be different, so he got himself a yaris and modded it to be expensive and sexy, but unique and fascinating. So it would only be fitting for him to race one as well, and thus completely earn any respect he might be lacking without a higher end car by completing his yaris experience and resume.

I mean, he could buy himself a regular old fast fancy car and sit around with his buddies and be the same old rich bastard as the rest. Or he can show his sexy modded yaris and say he has a racing yaris to boot. Much cooler.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:33 AM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGYaris View Post
WELL he said in an earlier post that he is the kind of guy that you would normally see driving a bmw or a lexus or something like that. And we all saw his house:) and his mods but, he said he likes to be different, so he got himself a yaris and modded it to be expensive and sexy, but unique and fascinating. So it would only be fitting for him to race one as well, and thus completely earn any respect he might be lacking without a higher end car by completing his yaris experience and resume.

I mean, he could buy himself a regular old fast fancy car and sit around with his buddies and be the same old rich bastard as the rest. Or he can show his sexy modded yaris and say he has a racing yaris to boot. Much cooler.
Hahahhaha well that's a nice explanation, and pretty close to the mark.

Yes, for about the same kind of money I could get a second hand impreza (the classic ones, before they got hit by the ugly hammer). That would be a lot of fun as well, for sure! But, what attracts me to these one-make races is that the cars are more less equal, so it's really up to the driver's skill, not a difference in power.

Additionally, even though I may have hundred of hours under my belt in Gran turismo and other racing games, it's a good idea to start with something more accessible... I can handle my own in go-karts, so Yaris is the next step up

Plus I'm European, and for some reason we just have some kind of yearning in the blood for "hot hatches"... I grew up watching Groub B rallying, crazy-ass cars like the Renault 5 Turbo, 205 Turbo 16, I get shivers just thinking about those...

And to clear something else up, I could probably have bought a fancier car like a Lexus or BMW, but then the monthly payments would just kill me, I'd have to eat ramen noodles everyday, and could never afford to mod anything (plus I think I'd be scared to screw around with such an expensive car) So yeah, for a fraction of the cost of one of those, I can have a completely unique and fun car to play with and follow my passion.

Also, that's my friend's house and cars in the pictures, I'm in a much humbler place

And... and... I just wanna be a Yaris pimp!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-13-2006, 01:59 AM   #14
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
AHHHH, you should have just let me keep thinking you were filthly rich :(. Anyway i def agree with the equivalent factor, it means that everyone is starting at about equal footing, and whoever has the best balance of creative and effective modding combined with the driving skills will be the winner. Thus winning will all be a reflection of you and your ability to work with a car. beatiful thing. Though i still wanted you to be a filthy rich crazy french man......
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:19 AM   #15
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Ahhhahhahaha, you kill me man. You are THE Yaris PIMP!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:39 AM   #16
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGYaris View Post
AHHHH, you should have just let me keep thinking you were filthly rich :(. Anyway i def agree with the equivalent factor, it means that everyone is starting at about equal footing, and whoever has the best balance of creative and effective modding combined with the driving skills will be the winner. Thus winning will all be a reflection of you and your ability to work with a car. beatiful thing. Though i still wanted you to be a filthy rich crazy french man......
ahahah sorry to shatter your dreams not quite filthy rich, but a few stains here and there...

Plus there's a pretty decent prize money to be won at the one make races...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #17
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Edit : Never mind what i said
Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #18
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana