Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
AC Delete?

Well long story short, I replaced the original alternator today (Lasted until 221,000 miles!!) due to the thing losing power and the bearing noise getting unbearable. Put in the new alternator, the noise is almost all completely gone and trace what's left of the sheening/whirring noise to the AC condenser. So I call up the local parts place, average is about $400 for the thing. I'm a little light in the wallet due to the alternators being so expensive as it is (got a lifetime warranty one and it was nearly $200), so I need to see if it's possible to run a different belt and sidestep around using the AC condenser/pulley overall. I can do without AC and if I can buy a $10 belt instead of a $400 part, by all means I'd much rather go that route.

If there is a belt that I can use, can someone please provide the belt number. And is there any drawbacks or things I need to be aware of by bypassing the AC condenser, aside from having no AC?
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You can run the non AC belt without an issue. The part number is in a couple of threads, but if you go to your local autoparts place and drill down the belt and say no AC, they can supply you with the correct one. There are no issues with bypassing it, other than not exercising the compressor once in a while (but that is not an issue with yours being on its way out).

I have a spare compress sans pulley that I could let go real cheap if you are interested.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Considering the car has 221,000 miles on it...AC isn't an issue too much. I do appreciate your offer and most certainly will keep it in mind! I'm actually shocked that even still, the engine currently doesn't use or burn a drop of oil. I'll have to say that Toyota did one hell of a job when designing and building the Yaris.

I'm curious, will the fan still kick on when it gets too hot? What about when using the defrost setting, will that still work when using heat on the defrost setting? I know that one kicks the fan on when you use it, so I'm wondering if it will still work or not...or will it still blow hot air at that setting and then the fan will just kick on when the thermostat opens up?

BTW, those TRD strut/shocks are great. I recently got around to putting them on. Very comfortable and sporty enough to keep in fun.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Considering the car has 221,000 miles on it...AC isn't an issue too much. I do appreciate your offer and most certainly will keep it in mind! I'm actually shocked that even still, the engine currently doesn't use or burn a drop of oil. I'll have to say that Toyota did one hell of a job when designing and building the Yaris.

I'm curious, will the fan still kick on when it gets too hot? What about when using the defrost setting, will that still work when using heat on the defrost setting? I know that one kicks the fan on when you use it, so I'm wondering if it will still work or not...or will it still blow hot air at that setting and then the fan will just kick on when the thermostat opens up?

BTW, those TRD strut/shocks are great. I recently got around to putting them on. Very comfortable and sporty enough to keep in fun.
The fan will still work and in defogger mode it will actuate the compressor (which of course will not spin). Without the AC, on humid days the defogger will blow, but will not have much effect unless you add some hot air.