Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
naix

Drives: Yaris S Sedan
Mods on an automatic sedan?

My parents bought me a brand new Yaris 4 door sedan for my graduation. They got me an automatic since they know I don't know how to drive a manual. Is it worth it or even possible to do any sort of mods on my car to say boost some hp? I know its probably to early to do anything even if it could be done, seeing as I haven't even broken it in, but I wanna know my options so I can save up now. So if there are some things I can do please list some, I'm very interested in performance mods for my car. Also if there are mods for auto, is it cheesy to have them on an auto?
naix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
eggyolk808

Drives: White S Sedan
Hey! I'm in the exact same position as you!! I also recieved a 4d auto S for my grad. except my car is pretty much broken in already. I just joined the forums and i've skimmed through most of the performance section and decided to buy a AEM CAI. Ordered it yesterday but i live in HI so it may take more than 1-2 days :-( i can't wait! But yeah, lots of the posts that i saw were for the LB's and there were a few here and there for sedans.
eggyolk808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
naix

Yeah, I was considering a CAI, I was looking at the Fujita F5, but the specs say for manual only like a lot of other mods I've seen so I'm confused. Also I too noticed a lot of mods seem to revolve around the LB and not sure if they're also capable with the sedan. I don't know a whole lot about cars so I'm hoping I can get some help in this thread. I guess I might also get the AEM you got since I heard the F5 has some fitting issues. I'm glad I'm not alone with this problem :P
Old 06-24-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
acdaazn

Drives: Toyota
Ooo.... HI *the 363 days of sunshine and that 2 day of super-mega pouring rain*, why did I move to NJ.... sigh.....

Back to topic. There isn't much for the yaris if you are talking about HP/Torque mod. The most you could do is intake and pulley. I have been thinking about the pulley but then some people say the idle is rough. As far as power is concerned, that's about it; unless you are going to put a turbo/supercharger in.

Suspension-wise, lowering springs and rear sway would get your car to feel snappier. That's a completely different section of the forum so I will leave it at that. :)
Old 06-24-2007, 01:29 AM   #5
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Welcome to the forums. I would suggest reading a bit more and looking at what other sedan owners have done, as well as checking the sponsors sections.

I would personally start off with lowering springs, light weight wheels and tires, and a crank pulley from NST if I were you.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:09 AM   #6
naix

Thanks for the replies acdaazn and YarisGuy, really helps me a lot. Yes I do plan on lowering my sedan, I've been reading about Tanabe NF210s and have some friends that can help me with those. I'll check that NST crank pulley. Maybe one day I might have enough money for a turb kit, hehe. Oh, do grounding kits apply to automatics too?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:54 AM   #7
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Drives: Yaris S Sedan w/ Aero Package!
Yes i agree with acdaazn ...not much can be done in HP/Torque wise...unless you go extreme..like supercharger..
I would do what Yarisguy said....focus on suspension mods..wheels, lowering springs and maybe pulley

I have a Sedan also..auto...and i've only done Suspension handling mods..
Terrorize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:51 AM   #8
naix

Yeah, I know my Yaris will never be a crazy street demon, but a few things just to make driving a little more fun is always cool. I'll probably start off with the NF210s, find some good wheels, and then other stuff.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:54 AM   #9
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
There is all sorts of goodies. ZPI makes a turbo there are also lightweight pulleys, cold air intakes, exhausts from TRD and ZPI. Lowering springs are also available. I also have an S Sedan lowered with NF210's, AEM cold air intake and will get my TRD exhaust by Tuesday. Let me know if you guys have any questions.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #10
noraebong

Drives: 207 yaris sedan
I am very new at performane mods..when I got my Yaris it was the frist car I had ever purchased, and I was looking simply for a reliable, fuel efficient econobox that would get me from A to B. My 07 Sedan (C package) has done well so far..evenin winter driving conditions.

Can anyone tell me what kind of HP a CAI and/or pulleywould add?

Thanks!
noraebong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:43 AM   #11
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by naix View Post
Yeah, I know my Yaris will never be a crazy street demon, but a few things just to make driving a little more fun is always cool. I'll probably start off with the NF210s, find some good wheels, and then other stuff.
that's the same plan i have so far just taking it easy for now
Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by noraebong View Post
Can anyone tell me what kind of HP a CAI and/or pulleywould add?
cali yaris reported a 12 WHP increase with the NST pulleys, CAI, DC Sports exhaust manifold and Tanabe axle-back exhaust.

I have the same setup and I can definitely say the car is more fun to drive than before. The pulleys make the engine a bit more responsive, and the other mods free up the air flow a little so the engine can breathe more easily. I noticed an improvement in power above 3,000 rpm. Also in my case, all these mods improved my gas mileage a bit... Light-weight wheels also help, as do good tires. And then you can improve the handling by lowering it and installing a sway bar. That won't give you more power, but it will feel like it, because the car will handle better, will be more stable, faster when turning, etc.

As for automatic vs. manual, I'm pretty sure the AT will handle a few extra ponies just fine
Old 12-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
new rims

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Id say for what you get back for the amount you spend on the yaris its best to put money into mods first that improve handling verses engine performance. Such as swaybar and trd springs. It will make the car much more fun to drive. Even with lots of performance mods it will cost you about a thousand to max out what you can do on a N/A motor and only gain about 12hp or you can spend that thousand in mods such as springs/struts swaybar tie bars etc and get much more gain in my opinion.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #15
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
From what I've heard, I've heard that superchargers on automatics are a bit faster than manuals..

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #16
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by naix View Post
Yeah, I know my Yaris will never be a crazy street demon, but a few things just to make driving a little more fun is always cool.
That's my mindset EXACTLY......your gonna have it for a while why not have a lil fun with it?? Mines a DD BUT I also show mine....will I ever beat a old Mustang or Camero? no prolly not but I have fun. I've got a '08 3dr auto, so I know 'bout where your comin' from....take care, welcome and have fun with your car!!!

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #17
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Dude.. I beat a Camaro.. and I took on an STi last night too.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #18
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I got some stuff in my car and its an auto tranny
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote