Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
XM/GPS + Shark Fin

Alright here is my plan.

I currently have a Pioneer Avic-D3 with XM radio & GPS - but I currently have the two satellite antennae on the roof near my hatch.

I just ordered a shark fin antenna with the hopes of running BOTH satellite receivers under the fin (I measures, it will fit). But, I want to run the wires through the OEM antenna base.

Question: Has anyone removed the antenna base? If so, do you have to remove the roof trim inside to route the wires? I've looked at the factory repair manual but it's a bit confusing.

Any help would be appreciated!
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
just put the shark fin over the base
I plan on it, but I'd like to route the wires for the two satellite receivers through the factory antenna mount so that I don't have to route them through the hatch (like I currently have).
Old 03-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I have XM in one car, and Sirius in the other two. In all cases, the satellite antennae is either on or under the dash. Have never had any problem with reception. My point is that they don't have to go on the roof or even outside the car.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I have XM in one car, and Sirius in the other two. In all cases, the satellite antennae is either on or under the dash. Have never had any problem with reception. My point is that they don't have to go on the roof or even outside the car.
I was thinking of doing that but I have no idea if I would be able to remove the dash to put something under there. The roof method doesn't seem that difficult ... except removing the roof trim.

I'm kind of torn as to what to do. The only reason I am doing this is because both satellite receivers are on the roof and have scratched the paint.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
I was thinking of doing that but I have no idea if I would be able to remove the dash to put something under there. The roof method doesn't seem that difficult ... except removing the roof trim.

I'm kind of torn as to what to do. The only reason I am doing this is because both satellite receivers are on the roof and have scratched the paint.

Another option is to put it in the driver's glove box. I just installed an Eclipse AVN2210p and I decided to put the GPS antenna in the drivers glove box. I popped the trim to the right of the ignition switch and cut a notch in the lip that's under there. The GPS antenna cable and ipod cable are completely invisible when the glove box is closed and I like the idea of keeping the GPS antenna out of view. The third picture below shows the GPS signal strength with the antenna in there and the car in my garage with the steel garage doors closed.

Cable routing:

Trim back on:

GPS signal strength:
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
devinlamothe

Thanks for the pics CTScott. I wonder if XM would get a good signal under there? May as well find out! lol
Old 03-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks for the pics CTScott. I wonder if XM would get a good signal under there? May as well find out! lol
I would think it would. High frequency radio waves (GPS is 1.2GHz and 1.5 GHz and satellite radio is 2.3 GHz) go through plastic with no problem.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

Drives: 2009 5spd LB
I also have both my GPS and XM module antennas under the dash - mine are to the right of the gauge cluster tucked between the dash and the air duct (without restricting anything) secured with a little silicon caulk, and they work beautifully and are fully hidden
pariahdecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
devinlamothe

Sounds good, I will try and find a spot under the dash for them. Do you think 3M adhesive would be fine to secure them and not fall off? Or maybe some velcro?
Old 03-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
I dropped my headliner to remove the antenna completely. In short, there isn't any room to route wires through the hole. It is a square hole that fits the square antenna mount/bolt, with no room to spare.

Do the under the dash thing.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
devinlamothe

I put my GPS under the dash - works great. Put XM under there - it cuts out way more than it used to. Any suggestions? Both receivers have the same line of sight so I'm not sure what the issue is.

EDIT: Would putting a metal sticker under the XM antenna help? Mine came with a small sticky pad that is metal, but I haven't tried it.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I put my GPS under the dash - works great. Put XM under there - it cuts out way more than it used to. Any suggestions? Both receivers have the same line of sight so I'm not sure what the issue is.

EDIT: Would putting a metal sticker under the XM antenna help? Mine came with a small sticky pad that is metal, but I haven't tried it.
Cammell's solutions is pretty slick.

Putting the metal sticker, or better yet a flat piece of metal larger than the antenna might help, as it will give the antenna a ground plane.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
devinlamothe

Just as an update even though the thread is oldish now - I had to remove the XM antenna from the dash. It was cutting out way too much. Seems the GPS 'locks' onto satellites whereas the xm needs a constant line of sight or else it goes wonky.

I tried an experiment and it was cutting out moreso when I was travelling in a Southern direction. If I was going North, it would be fine. So it leads me to believe the satellites are broadcasting from the north and the top portion of the car is cutting of some of the line of sight.

Anyhow ... I moved it back to ontop of my hatch and everything works fine again. I'm still thinking of getting the sharkfin to hide the antenna, however.