Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
Gear Indicator Manual [Idea]

Hey all,

So I was driving in my '12 Yaris yesterday (it's manual) and I got to thinking (Surprising, I know).

I thought it would be just the bee's knees if the Yaris has a gear indicator for the manual. Why? Because it would look kinda cool. At least; I think it would. A nice set of LED lights that simply displays "R, 1, 2, 3," etc.

I'm thinking that this is possible with micro-switches, an Arduino board, and a bread-board with LED lights. Mount the micro-switches so that when the gear is shifted, they are pressed and send a signal to the Arduino, which then displays the appropriate number/letter. If no input is detected, i.e: neutral, than 'N' is displayed.

It'd be a bit of work, but would be cool if I could pull it off.

What do you guys think?
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I've thought about it too, but I also work for a company that makes automatic shifter assemblies for almost every major car brand. I've seen what goes into something like this, and it's not trivial. The biggest issue I can see with the switches is the 'slop' in the shifter. I've installed cable bushings and an engine-bay short shift kit and there's still an awful lot of play. It has a lot to do with the linkage on the transmission and the tolerance of the joints on both ends.

One option would be to get some weatherproof switches and put them around the shaft of the shift actuator. It has a fairly limited range of travel compared to the in-cabin lever. Another option would be to find a location on the shift cables where you could use a hall-effect sensor to watch which direction they were being pulled/pushed. I think there's too much variation in the shift lever position to use switches without fabricating some brackets or bumpers.

If you're able to get something working, that would be great. You might even want to use a 14-segment LED for the indicator instead of single LEDs.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
TPA5
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I've thought about it too, but I also work for a company that makes automatic shifter assemblies for almost every major car brand. I've seen what goes into something like this, and it's not trivial. The biggest issue I can see with the switches is the 'slop' in the shifter. I've installed cable bushings and an engine-bay short shift kit and there's still an awful lot of play. It has a lot to do with the linkage on the transmission and the tolerance of the joints on both ends.

One option would be to get some weatherproof switches and put them around the shaft of the shift actuator. It has a fairly limited range of travel compared to the in-cabin lever. Another option would be to find a location on the shift cables where you could use a hall-effect sensor to watch which direction they were being pulled/pushed. I think there's too much variation in the shift lever position to use switches without fabricating some brackets or bumpers.

If you're able to get something working, that would be great. You might even want to use a 14-segment LED for the indicator instead of single LEDs.
Thanks for the input! I see what you mean by the slop in the shifter. I may have to get creative with mounting the sensors. I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'll poke around and see if I can figure something out.

What would be the benefit of using a 14-segment LED? Cosmetically nicer looking or easier to work with? I haven't really ever done any work with LED's or such before, so I'm trying to learn as I go. I also would want to try to stick it somewhere it would look like it's supposed to be, not just hanging out somewhere, so I'll have to check that as well.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
the 14 segment LED is kind of like the 7 segments that we are all used to (all lit up, looks like an 8) but with the 14, you can get an R out of it.

I could see simply having 6 proximity switches (one for each gear) and having a condition if none are actuated. the proximity switches can be magnetic and just go off of the metal in the shifter. you can set the sensitivity so the slop may not be an issue. that would require a bracket on the underside of the shifter and not sure how much space there is under there to do all that. I haven't taken mine apart yet. been thinking of it just to put in the metal bushing to try to get some of the slop out of mine and possibly put the "in cabin" short shifter in it as well.

it is a neat little project. I would say to mock up something and don't worry about aesthetics yet. get it working, then make it pretty. doesn't matter how pretty it is if it doesn't work (goes for women too).
Old 06-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Only CTScott can grant your Yaris wishes you desire.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
TPA5
Wait, what?

I was thinking of using this for the display: http://www.spikenzielabs.com/Catalog...roducts_id=588

And this to control: http://www.spikenzielabs.com/Catalog...roducts_id=582

And possibly this as a sensor, with credit to CrankyOldMan for the idea: http://www.spikenzielabs.com/Catalog...roducts_id=189

That matrix display already has a library written for the Arduino, which would make programming easier.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
CrankyOldMan

Interesting choice with the LED matrix. The shortfall with that is you will likely have to do some multiplexing to get the display working properly. Not a huge hurdle, but it will make the program more complicated. The advantage of a single 7-/14-/16-segment display is that each segment has its own control, and only requires multiplexing if you need more than one digit.

After pondering the Hall effect sensor on the cable, you would have to find a place where you could mount a magnet in/on the sliding portion of the cable. There are larger bar-type Hall sensors if you wanted to try and monitor the bottom of the shifter, but they run upwards of a kidney or spleen.

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 06-10-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWxbsopQ8I0

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Have you seen this?
The theory is sound and the breadboard proof of concept looks great, but the reality of getting the sensors in a location where they can consistently detect the shifter position is another matter entirely. In this case, it's not critical that the gear is known to a very accurate degree.

I'm not trying to shoot down his idea, I just want to make sure we all understand the complexity of implementing this sort of thing.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
You could also pick up engine RPM and wheel RPM signals and compare them to deduce gear ratios, no extra hardware necessary but some good logic needed!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
There's a shift knob that does that, it's really cool. I tried to start a Group Buy for it quite a while back.

poor video, but you get the idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKN_r2JN3HY
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
CrankyOldMan

I wonder if they used an accelerometer in the knob body...
Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
TPA5
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
There's a shift knob that does that, it's really cool. I tried to start a Group Buy for it quite a while back.

poor video, but you get the idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKN_r2JN3HY
That's pretty cool, they also have a mountable gauge for your dash. I think though I'm still going to try to tackle it myself, simply for the hobby of it all.

Sure it'll be complex, irritating, frustrating, and probably not work. But hey, if it does I'll be simply chuffed. Especially since I'd be able to do it for cheaper than the almost $200 they want for that Indy-Cator.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
You could also pick up engine RPM and wheel RPM signals and compare them to deduce gear ratios, no extra hardware necessary but some good logic needed!
Interesting solution! This would be the easiest since OBDII port would already have the info (but then you would need to figure way to crack the OBDII protocol). The logic should be fairly straightforward: you would only need to calculate MPH/RPM which will stay constant for each gear regardless of speed or RPM in that particular gear (unless you are drag racing with those flabby sidewall drag slicks)...

but...

Other than the cool factor, why not just glance down at the shifter? I can understand the possible need for a gear indicator for a sequential shifter, though (I often wish my motorcycles had a gear indicator)...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
TPA5
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
but...

Other than the cool factor, why not just glance down at the shifter? I can understand the possible need for a gear indicator for a sequential shifter, though (I often wish my motorcycles had a gear indicator)...
Simply for the cool factor. No other reason haha.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #16
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA5 View Post
Simply for the cool factor. No other reason haha.
Oh, okay. That's what it's all about, having fun wth your car.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote