Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
How To Remove Trunk Torsion Rods?

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove the trunk torsion rods. I want to replace the OEM non-spoiler rods with the ones that came with my Thai wing. I never installed them because I can't figure out how to remove the two rods. Does anyone know how to remove them? TIA.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Hmm thats a interesting question. I remember when i put a spoiler on my 240sx the trunk would never stay open i had to keep a broken broom stick handle in the back of my trunk hah. And the hood release wouldnt work either. You had to go to the back of the car and pull up on the spoiler while you turned the key to unlock it at the same time it was rather annoying.

And then after some time the rods started to get weak i guess and rattle as i would drive.

I am assuming you are encountering a simular situation hehe.

If no one has a answe I would suggest just swining by a local body shop and ask one of the guys if they can help you out. And just throw them a few bucks tip it shouldnt take but a few minutes.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
hahaha, everything is fine. It opens just fine, but needs to be guided down when closing. The weight of the wing (almost nothing) makes it slam hard if unguided. I just want to use the beefier tension rods. hahahaha. I guess I'm OCD. LMAO.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE

^^^^^ try taking a socket on a handle like above that fits on the end of one of the torsion bars and pry either forwards or back to slip it out of its detent.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote