Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
schume

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
Horrible sound on startup

Yesterday was the third time I heard it. The first two times, I thought maybe I was imagining the sound or something. Basically, when the car starts, the first few revolutions at idle sound like the engine has no oil and it makes a loud piston slap/rod knock type noise. It's pretty unnerving to hear a new car with 3000 miles go <CLACK> <CLACK> <CLACK> when the engine first starts.
schume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Take the car to the dealers ASAP
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
schume

Quote:
Originally Posted by big lo View Post
Take the car to the dealers ASAP
It does it so infrequently, (the other day was probably 3rd time in 3 months) I can only imagine what the dealer would do.

"Sorry sir, we couldn't hear anything."
Old 03-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
... you forgot: That will be $95 for researching a customer hick-up.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by schume View Post
It does it so infrequently, (the other day was probably 3rd time in 3 months) I can only imagine what the dealer would do.

"Sorry sir, we couldn't hear anything."
The car is under warranty, so don't give up on anything they need to check it out no matter what, and with 3000 + miles I would see the Manager and make them change the car or fix the problem, let us know the outcome, and remember be positive, but with an attitude
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
schume

Quote:
Originally Posted by big lo View Post
The car is under warranty, so don't give up on anything they need to check it out no matter what, and with 3000 + miles I would see the Manager and make them change the car or fix the problem, let us know the outcome, and remember be positive, but with an attitude
They can't change the car, I just installed cruise control!

I'm just not sure how to approach this. I've seen it a million times where someone complains of a sound/noise/etc only for the mechanic not to hear it. In my case, it's quite obvious when it happens, but it only happens on start up about once a month (if that). I'm afraid of being classified as another one of those "I hear a sound" customers. I was hoping someone else on here has experienced something similar to a piston slap or rod knock type sound on start up.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
I would do it just to get it on record while the car is still under warranty. If something craps out after the warranty expires it may? help to have proof that the problem started while the car was still under warranty.

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
yeah that needs to be looked into. low oil level or even parking on a severe angle might do that, but i'd at least go talk to a toyota service advisor about it.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote