Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
thepliosaur1

Drives: toyota yaris 2007 h-back 5spd
My Yaris compatible with Ecometer?

Hi, I have a 2007 Yaris 5spd hatchback and am interested in getting something that will give me a tachometer and a mpg meter. I was looking at the Ecometer because it is within my budget, but I just want to make sure it is compatible. Thanks for the help.
thepliosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
Yes you can use it and it's awesome I've had mine for a year or so and I love it. funny part is I originally bought it for the same reason..now I mainly use the speedometer mode

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
thepliosaur1

Drives: toyota yaris 2007 h-back 5spd
Ok, awesome, thanks for the response. I have to ask though, what do you mean by speedometer mode? Just shifting by the speedometer? That is what I have been doing, but I have made the mistake on a number of occasions when I have music on in the car and merge onto a highway using third gear, because I will not hear that my RPMs are so high and it goes unnoticed for a few minutes. It must be horrible for the car, and is the main reason that I am getting this. Thanks again!
thepliosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I have these in stock, will price match.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
when I have music on in the car and merge onto a highway using third gear, because I will not hear that my RPMs are so high and it goes unnoticed for a few minutes. It must be horrible for the car,
It's not bad for the car, but your mileage will suffer.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
Qmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepliosaur1 View Post
Ok, awesome, thanks for the response. I have to ask though, what do you mean by speedometer mode? Just shifting by the speedometer? That is what I have been doing, but I have made the mistake on a number of occasions when I have music on in the car and merge onto a highway using third gear, because I will not hear that my RPMs are so high and it goes unnoticed for a few minutes. It must be horrible for the car, and is the main reason that I am getting this. Thanks again!
well see there's a 4 modes: Speedo, Tach, Average MPG and instant MPG. Belive it or not the stock speedo is off a few mph, and I trust the "lil" one as it pulls info straight for the computer. I got a auto lol so I don't shift obviously.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Why not join the crowd waiting for the YarGauge?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmobile View Post
well see there's a 4 modes: Speedo, Tach, Average MPG and instant MPG. Belive it or not the stock speedo is off a few mph, and I trust the "lil" one as it pulls info straight for the computer. I got a auto lol so I don't shift obviously.
Is it underrated or overrated? Whenever I pass by an electronic posted speed limit sign, it reports that I'm driving slower than what the speedometer on the Yaris reports.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Qmobile

the speedo on the ecometer is slightly faster than the stock one......I 9/10 chances trust the ecometer like I said cuase all the info is pull directly form the computer

Old 08-11-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Just remember to unplug it from time to time or it will eventually kill your battery. I replaced 3 batteries before I realized it was the Ecometer.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:44 AM   #11
birdman

I sent mine in and they replaced it free. The second one had other issues so I sent it back and am awaiting number 3. If this one doesn't work then it looks like some Yarises aren't compatible.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #12
birdman

Got my 3rd one installed and seems to be working OK though the fuel consumption on this one shows only 22 mpg combined while my 1st showed 34. Perhaps it will take some time for the average to increase over time. If not then I'll get a Scangauge 2.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
birdman

It finally leveled off at 31 mpg. That's 3 mpg less than my first one showed. They sent me another free one and I'm going to plug it in to see how its figures vary from the other ones. I now see why some people get high readings while others get lower ones. It's made in the USA by "skilled craftsmen". Skilled for American standards or what?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #14
KrazyDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
It finally leveled off at 31 mpg. That's 3 mpg less than my first one showed. They sent me another free one and I'm going to plug it in to see how its figures vary from the other ones. I now see why some people get high readings while others get lower ones. It's made in the USA by "skilled craftsmen". Skilled for American standards or what?
Did you calibrate it over time by adjusting the EFF values? One of the members here stated they didn't have to adjust the value when using stock tires, stock wheels, stock tire pressure, and the stock air filter. I have mine set to 94 but I also run my tire pressure at 44 PSI and I use a K&N air filter.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
so is this type of stuff just for the ecometer? Does the scanguage 2 have these type of issues?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #16
KrazyDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
so is this type of stuff just for the ecometer? Does the scanguage 2 have these type of issues?
I've read that the ScanGauge also requires calibration. The cost of the Ecometer is cheaper than the ScanGauge if you don't require a diagnostic tool and don't care for the extra information that might help a serious hypermiler.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
birdman

I've had 2 older Ecometers and 2 new ones and they all drain down the battery the same. I think Autometer fibbed when they said they fixed the problem. Perhaps you might luck out and get a new one that doesn't draw down the battery. It usually takes 3 to 4 months of driving to kill a battery with the old and new units I've had. If you can remember to unplug them or install a kill switch when parked then it will probably be OK. It says right on the box "IN THE USA BY SKILLED CRAFTSMEN". The printer made a mistake and left off the first word "MADE". Obviously Autometer was aware of this little slip up but they probably said "who gives a sh--". This half assed mentality is why American manufacturers are plagued with so many shoddy half hearted products like this thing. If it were me I wouldn't gamble on these cheapo gauges. I haven't heard anything bad about the Scangauge ll other than they're spendy. After you replace a couple of car batteries killed by your cheapo Ecometer the Scangauge ll starts to look like the real bargain.

Last edited by birdman; 03-15-2011 at 08:08 PM.