Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2007, 06:00 PM   #73
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
thanks guy ill try take another stab at it...if it moves or not.....i had to reassemble everything cuz it was like 10pm when i posted my concern....arrhg
Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #74
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
yea I just tackled mine right now. Great DIY, the only thing I would like to add on is loosening up that bottom bolt holding the alternator in. It allowed the alternator to pivot a lot easier. I wasn't to keen on beating at it with a rubber malet. That bottom bolt (14mm) was a PAIN IN THE ASS to loosen up. Once I got that off everything else was a breeze.
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #75
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
The DIY has been edited with this information. Thanks for the replies guys.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:43 AM   #76
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

For fook sake...is it me or my damn car....nothing is going right for me....

i cant take the crank bolt off.....damn stupid bolts why dont they make it simple.....

any tricks of gettin it off without an air ratchet thing?

Last edited by hasher22; 04-20-2007 at 05:24 AM.
hasher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #77
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22 View Post
For fook sake...is it me or my damn car....nothing is going right for me....

i cant take the crank bolt off.....damn stupid bolts why dont they make it simple.....

any tricks of gettin it off without an air ratchet thing?
Go to Kragen, Napa, or other lenient return policay auto parts store. Buy an electric impact gun. Gently unpack it. Take off bolt. Put on pulley. Install bolt to proper torque specs. Clean impact gun. Return electric impact gun in original packaging as if never used?!! and yes, I've done it before.

ps. if you buy one with adjustable torque, you can put the bolt back on with the gun too. And remember to use loctite.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #78
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
You might see if autozone has something like that (if they are in your area). They offer a free loan-a-tool program. You pay for the tool, then when you return it they refund your $$ 100%. I've used it quite a bit for tools that I don't often need.

Last edited by Astroman; 04-20-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #79
MudBug

Drives: 07 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
You might see if autozone has something like that (if they are in your area). They offer a free loan-a-tool program. You pay for the tool, then when you return it they refund your $$ 100%. I've used it quite a bit for tools that I don't often need.

They have the same thing at Checker Auto. I just used it for a set of strut spring compression clamps.
MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:17 PM   #80
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

yea over here in australia i tried lookin for an electric ratchet (other words impact gun?) nothing....stupid stores has sold out...

and too much money for a air ratchet thingy....arrg...

u know what, the pulley is pissin me off cuz of the 14mm crank bolt......next time i get my car serviced im gonna tell them to install it...har har dont care if it costs me $50 or so....bleh
Old 04-20-2007, 11:31 PM   #81
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
breaker bar should only be like $15 bux
Old 04-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #82
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

I official hate the pulley. There is no way i can take that bolt off. I have snapped 2 wrenches and bent one.....

I have been to hardware shops and they dont sell breaker bars on its own.

Im forced to pay a mechanic to do it for me.....arrrg all becuz that one bolt.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #83
07typeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22 View Post
I official hate the pulley. There is no way i can take that bolt off. I have snapped 2 wrenches and bent one.....

I have been to hardware shops and they dont sell breaker bars on its own.

Im forced to pay a mechanic to do it for me.....arrrg all becuz that one bolt.
lol dude dont give it up. you are pulling the right way right? I know that sounds stupid, but I have done it before. The bolt is very tight, but I dont think enough to be breaking wrenches.
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
Old 05-06-2007, 04:34 AM   #84
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Well I got mine installed today at my favorite workshop

The mechanics had a very hard time taking out the crank bolt too, even with an air tool, but their solution was quite different (and crazy)

One guy put a ratchet on the crank bolt and held it in place TIGHT
Another guy then cranked the engine for half a second. and POP went the crank bolt...

Don't try this at home, thought, it looked like a very easy way to break your arm in two, and cause much damage to the engine bay

No driving impressions yet, though, I left the car there to check the alignment (it veers a bit to the left at highway speeds), and get a nice wash and wax inside and out

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #85
07typeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post

The mechanics had a very hard time taking out the crank bolt too, even with an air tool, but their solution was quite different (and crazy)

Another guy then cranked the engine for half a second. and POP went the crank bolt...

Don't try this at home, thought, it looked like a very easy way to break your arm in two, and cause much damage to the engine bay

No driving impressions yet, though, I left the car there to check the alignment (it veers a bit to the left at highway speeds), and get a nice wash and wax inside and out
LOL man thats a crazy way to get that bolt off. Actually the problem most of us have been having problem with, is the lower alternator bolt. I actually did not have any problem with the crank bolt, and I used an electric impact wrench.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #86
07typeS

I picked the zpi pulley up for real cheap and decided to give it a go. I pulled it off lastnight because the noise was starting to bug me. I was getting a "ting" noise.....so it was removed.......I have pulled it off multiple times and put it back on with the same noise. lastnight i put the original one on and had no noise.

so no more zpi for me.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #87
Galavoxx

What kind of "ting" noise? Like when the motor is colling down? Mine definitley makes a whining noise if you listen to it. You have ot be outside the car though. It's really high pitch. Probably from the aluminum resonating from the belt friction. I've looked to see if it has caused any issues and checked the belt tension and bolt. Everything is fine. It might just be a side affect of the pulley being aluminum.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #88
07typeS

yea its not really a constant tinging, more like a "ting ting".....and its very noticable inside the car even with the radio on and even worse outside. Its actually embarrasing having that noise come from a car thats 5 months old.........

im wondering if the nst pulley would be different........

but i actually think there may be a design flaw in the pulley somewhere....
Old 05-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #89
Galavoxx

Mine is NST.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #90
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post

Haha... same way I did to install mine. That crank bolt refused to came out even with the air tool.

x2... don't try this at home!
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote