Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
lollersham
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 yaris
2007 yaris clutch wont disengage

A little background.

Just purchased this car a few months ago. Put 2000 miles on it for a total of around 46k. It was previously a one owner car and was well maintained.

All of a sudden recently my clutch has started not disengaging on up shifts. The pedal doesnt stick but the clutch itself seems still engaged after the shift. An on the road fix seems to be pulling out of gear and re shifting a few times at which point everything is fine for the duration of the trip.

I guess my question is does this sound like impending doom on either the clutch or the hydraulics? I also have the cold grind going into reverse issue but i feel thats unrelated. Just need some insight before I run to the shop to be butt raped.

Thanks for the help.
lollersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
First thing to do is bleed the hydralics. Like bleeding brakes. You may have air in the line.

Definately!

Not sure where the bleeder on the clutch slave is but if you get the car up on ramps you should have access to it.

Or take it to the shop. I wouldnt be saying WHY you want the line bled as this may lead to pressure for them to replace the clutch!

Hopefully you have a mechanic you trust.

If you need help DIY just ask and we will prepare step by step directions!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
jason214

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpxS4VsxRs0

I found this on youtube. A guy explains and shows how to bleed your clutch.

Clutch shares the fluid with brake system so it could damage painted surfaces.
I would use a clear plastic tubing on the nipple and a bottle to collect the fluid. Use a 5/16" or 8mm box end wrench.
jason214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Chances are either your clutch master or slave cylinder are leaking, causing for not enough pressure to disengage the clutch. Look for, and repair any leaks and try again.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Chances are either your clutch master or slave cylinder are leaking, causing for not enough pressure to disengage the clutch. Look for, and repair any leaks and try again.
Definately a possibility a leak somewhere in the system. It sounds though like the OP isnt mechanically inclined and fears ass reaming as the hands of those who are.

I would like to help him avoid that! If he can find a leak great. Then he could point to the leak and say "Fix it!"

If he could get the car up on ramps and have a helper push the clutch in and out while he looks in the engine compartment for something moving that would go a long way. If nothing is seen to move look under the eingine for drips of fluid. That would confirm a bad component.

If no drips check in later!