Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Cheap Racing Seats installation

Hey guys, I was looking into installing a performance oriented seat. I'm happy with the mod I did to my stock seat, but I fine I don't sit far enough in it and would like more og a hugging feeling from the seat.

I've narrowed my searching down to this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-PVC-LE...item58cb5b5458
as it matches the white interior of my Yaris and will be easy to wipe clean. I find it not too aggressive so getting in and out of it shouldn't be too much of a hassle like some of the dedicated racing seats.

I know there are much better seat I could get but I don't have the funds nor am I going to do any serious racing in this seat. It is more for comfort and appearance. I am not installing a passenger seat as my fiancee likes it as is and I don't want to have to buy another bracket and deal with the airbag light. From my understanding as long as the drivers seat belt is plugged in then the light goes out. Is this correct? Or do I also have to do another modification to ensure there are no other dash lights on?

Does anyone know of a universal bracket that will work with these seats and allow them to mount to my Yaris? I know there are a couple bracket options out there but I'm not sure if they will only work with a specific brand of seat.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #2
Frank the Tank

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Don't celica seats bolt right up?
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
tmontague

I believe so, but the ones I posted are a bit more aggressive than the Celica ones and I don't think it's easy to find Celica ones
Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Personally I wouldn't buy this seat. It doesn't have to do with whether or not you plan on racing much. If you end up in a freeway speed accident for example you have no idea that the seat will maintain its integrity being at a $128 price point. To give you a point of reference the Land Speed ruling body has been able to prove with actual accidents at less than 150mph that cheap seats especially fiberglass ones can literally explode during impact. So in theory if you collide with especially another vehicle at say 70mph the combined speed could be fatal.

As for seat bracketing if you do choose to purchase and install an option would be to buy the base of a seat from a junk yard for I would think less than $100 and then modify with welded plates. That is what I did for my Kirkey racing seat. I actually paid $65 for mine and that was shipped. Finding universal ones will still require some modification anyway so why not stick with what you know will work 100%.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
tmontague

Thanks for the info, definitely something to seriously think about.

I don't own a welder and prob won't be getting one for a couple years. I figured using yaris specific brackets sold online would be easier since the worst i'd have to do is drill or dremmel holes to fit the purchased seat.

I can't see myself dropping just under a grand for a seat for my dd Yaris, no when I have a future wrx build to save up for. I figured I could find a short cut but I don't think a shattered seat is worth it. Nor do I want to deal with welding a what not. I'll save it for the future sreet legal track build
Old 02-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Have you tried any RS seats? for a factory option
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
tmontague

Those things are like unicorns, they're impossible to come by

Anyone know of a brand name seat that is priced below $300? That may be wishful thinking but figured i'd ask
Old 02-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Check kijiji
Old 02-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #9
sv650steve

Drives: accord (for now)
I've bought stuff from speed daddy before on ebay. They sell pretty decent no name stuff. My catback exhaust on my accord is from them. I got rear ended and it was the cheapest option to fix my exhaust which was bent down, i pocketed 2 grand from that accident because my repair was so cheap. It's held up good, all the welds were really nice. The thing about seats is you never know how they will work until you crash. They do look really tempting.
sv650steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
07YarisUS

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
check NRG at http://getnrg.com/products/seats/car...ket-seats/feed that's going to be my option in my yaris but first have to do a couple of other things
07YarisUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #11
tmontague

My main issue that I want to know before droppin cash is will a certain seat fit with a certain seat bracket? The bracket had to fit the Yaris (easy to find online) but will the seat fit the bracket.

So far I haven't been able to answer that Q w/ any non brand name race seats.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #12
JessMess

Drives: 08 Yaris hatch back
Which gen(what years) celica has seats for direct bolt on??
JessMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessMess View Post
Which gen(what years) celica has seats for direct bolt on??

Non of them. You have to change the sliders.