Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
BAD TICKET!

Yesterday I got a speeding ticket. Uhhhhhh... 87MPH in a 55MPH zone. Reckless! I know I need to slow down, and believe me this convinced me to slow down from now on. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions on anything to do with court. I am in the process of getting a lawyer. I feel really stupid for going that fast. I was just fininshing a long trip where I had been doing the actual speed limit the whole way, like 400 miles worth, then just as I reached the home stretch, I put the hammer down and got clocked on radar. I feel sick constantly now. Uncertainty looming until mid May.

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
What is your record like otherwise?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
nsmitchell

Luckily, I haven't had a ticket in about 7 years.

BTW - I don't think I will be getting that ZPI Tubo now... then I would have no car and no license.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Holy crap... 30+mph over the posted limit?! I'm surprised you're not already in jail! Your license is gone for sure... or it would be if you were in GA. They snatch your license for 20 over around here. I never run more than 15 over, and even that will earn me a nice ticket should I ever run across an officer w/ a radar. I seriously need to invest in a detector.

~YR
Old 04-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge View Post
Holy crap... 30+mph over the posted limit?! I'm surprised you're not already in jail! Your license is gone for sure... or it would be if you were in GA. They snatch your license for 20 over around here. I never run more than 15 over, and even that will earn me a nice ticket should I ever run across an officer w/ a radar. I seriously need to invest in a detector.

~YR
Now I feel much better!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Now I feel much better!
Oops, sorry 'bout that!

However, if your record is that clean, you may be able to plead temporary insanity!

Actually, there IS a state called "highway hypnosis" (you probably know about this) that can occur when you've been driving at high speeds for extended periods. Your sense of speed becomes distorted because your brain has re-tuned itself, and if you're not paying attention to your gauges, you don't realize how fast you're going. This becomes a problem after you exit the interstate into lower speed zones. Your lawyer will probably already be aware of this, but you might wanna' mention it.

Hope that helps!

~YR
Old 04-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
SailDesign

Drives: .
Tell 'em you thought it was a Canadian edition, and the speedo was in kilometres....
That worked for me ONCE in the early 70's, but hopefully the cops are smarter now.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
lie ,play stupid ,go ahead and get the lawyer, those guys are usually pretty cheap for traffic court, you'll be getting lots of mail offers, sometimes the cops don't even show up, i don't think you'll lose your license but you will prbably pay a hefty fine, 15 over here in town and I pay 350+
Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

oh yeah, slow the hell down
Old 04-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #10
ChinoCharles
Banned

A guy I work with got pulled over in Virginia on the way to Disneyworld with the family and he got hosed. Speeding tickets are expensive there.

You're in a bit of a pickle, no doubt. However, if you haven't had a ticket in 7 years then you might have a prayer. Get your lawyer and tell him you will do anything to circumvent losing your liscence. Classes, community service, anything. Try to plea out. If not, bring a pillow to court, because you're going to be on your knees.

Good luck man, I'm pulling for you.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Now I feel much better!
jst say you are not used to the center mounted speedo yet, and you though you were "moving along with traffic", and you are really really sorry and you will never do it again and bring a wife or GF wearing a real tight shirt to show a lil boob
Old 04-06-2007, 11:14 PM   #12
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
jst say you are not used to the center mounted speedo yet, and you though you were "moving along with traffic", and you are really really sorry and you will never do it again and bring a wife or GF wearing a real tight shirt to show a lil boob

Yes, boob hypnosis is almost as bad as highway hypnosis
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #13
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
These are all really great ideas and everything. The only problem is that I really doubt that the highway speed limit was up to 90mph...probably about 70 or even 60 at times. That would mean that he was doing at least 17 mph over the speed limit for 400 miles? and then didnt realize it and kept going that same speed in a 55....im pretty sure thats not going to cut the cheese.
I say just be brutally honest about the situation and about what you have learned from it. No BS about a speedo in the center, I imaigne judges have heard alot of stories, thats only going to piss him off and make him think you will probably do it many times in the future.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:36 PM   #14
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
Do like I did a year ago.

I was doing 82 in a 55.

Plead not guilty, after that go to ur court date, before u go to court u will be asked few questions by a (prosecutor or something) tell him what you told us, ask him to please lower the ticket price. bs him, u didnt have ticket for 7 years, u were few minsa from home, u were tired of driving etc etc, make bs story and he will lower ur price by half.

But if you don't want the ticket at all...were there any car around u while going that fast?
if not ur fuked, if yes than say maybe the cop capted a car that was following u, or u were trying ot pass a car or etc..make some bs stories..
I say just pay the ticket at a very low price but it will go on ur record..

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #15
ChinoCharles
Banned

I talked to my buddy at work about it again today. Funny thing, he got busted doing the exact same speed in the same zone you did. He said his ticket was only $230, but he did get his license suspended in the state of Virginia. He wrote a letter to the courts explaining his situation. He was in a minivan, too, so it isn't like he was street racing. However, he didn't have any luck lowering his fine or sentence and his license is currently suspended in the state of Virginia.

Get a good lawyer and go to court looking dapper and on top of your game... and cross your fingers.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #16
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
We have xcops, who guarentee the win or you don't pay them. Maybe you got something like that in your parts. I say fight it all the way, and research the kind of radar they use. Maybe someone else has fought a ticket and won and has posted results/findings on it's inacuracy. Remember OJ Reasonable doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #17
MrJester

Drives: homo
you can always send in the payment with like $20 extra bucks then when they send you a refund check trash it and the ticket shouldn't go on your record something screwy with the ticket system has worked for me a few times.
MrJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #18
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

so how much was the fine?