Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
S1L3N7 D3A7H

Drives: 2003 Saturn Ion-1 Sedan
TRD Options

I'm planning on buying a 2009 Yaris Made to order in a few months and had a couple of questions regarding TRD performance parts.

First let me explain my situation.

I've just gotten hired on by the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) as a telecommunication technician. I will have to be traveling from SoCal to Oklahoma city quite a few times a year for training throughout the seasons, and they do get bad weather over there. And I need a car with a setup that is safely able to make it there with all the various weather conditions and still get good fuel economy.

Here is my configuration as I will probably have ordered for me unless my mind is changed on a few options:

2009 Toyota Yaris - 3 Door LiftBack 5 Speed
Packages:
- All Weather Guard - Power
Options:
- Cruise Control - Remote Keyless Entry - Integrated Front Fog Lamps
- Carpeted Floor & Cargo Mats - Door Slit Enhancements - Interior Light Kit
- Sport Pedal Covers - VIP Security - TRD Shift Knob - TRD Clutch Assembly
- TRD Performance Air Filter - TRD Rear Sway Bar - TRD Lowering Springs
- TRD Shock Absorbers

I have already test driven a Yaris and enjoyed it very much, except for the really shallow clutch that left a lot to be desired.

Mods I'm going to do right away:
- 17x7 Enkei Racing RPF1 Bright Silver Paint
- 205/40R17 XL Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position Blackwall

Now for the questions.

Will the TRD Springs and Shock absorbers lower the vehicle enough to get an even spacing between the tires and the wheel well?

Can someone attach or link a picture of a yaris with 17" wheels and TRD Lowering Springs?

Will the TRD Rear Swaybar and suspension options help in the snowy, rainy, windy weather of Oklahoma?

Will the TRD Clutch improve the stiffness and responsiveness?

Thanks a whole bunch folks!
S1L3N7 D3A7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
clutch, imo is a waste of money....i dont think anyone on the site has one, but im sure that itll feel close to stock

trd springs will lower the stance and likley help to lessen the amount you get pushed around in the wind. trd shocks/struts will help control body roll. rear sway bar will tighten up the rear end, but not something you'd notice commuting on the highway from CA to OK

what kind of winter weather are you talking about!? its like 60 or 70F there right now....

a trd drop will make the yaris look like it should stock - - and even out the wheel well gap

imo, just get the TRD springs. forget the shocks as it will make the ride a bit stiffer (which might get to be a pain driving on the highway for long periods). trd filter you wont feel anything, and a k&n drop-in is likely cheaper. skip the rear sway bar because unless you corner hard a lot you wont likely feel it enough to make it worth your $. skip the clutch cus its 500-1000$ you wont need to spend, especially if youre driving highway.

however, if youre an enthusiast.....i say get all of that AND the trd exhaust....(but i still think the clutch is a waste of money)
Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
S1L3N7 D3A7H

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
what kind of winter weather are you talking about!? its like 60 or 70F there right now....
Well its not just the winter weather I'm concerned about. I'm talking all season. They do get tornadoes in spring and summer, and lots of ice during the winter.
Quote:
a trd drop will make the yaris look like it should stock - - and even out the wheel well gap
So the TRD Springs will give a nice drop (equal spacing in wheel well) with the 17" wheels?
Quote:
trd springs will lower the stance and likley help to lessen the amount you get pushed around in the wind. trd shocks/struts will help control body roll. rear sway bar will tighten up the rear end, but not something you'd notice commuting on the highway from CA to OK
Well, I'll be doing much more than highway cruising. I'm going to take my time traveling up and down the west coast on my way their or back for sight seeing. So I'm just worrying about my, and the cars safety. And I do like a car with a very stiff suspension. I like to feel the road.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3N7 D3A7H View Post
So the TRD Springs will give a nice drop (equal spacing in wheel well) with the 17" wheels?
the drop will be the same no matter what wheels you have....but ya, itll look nice w/ 17's[/quote]

Quote:
Well, I'll be doing much more than highway cruising. I'm going to take my time traveling up and down the west coast on my way their or back for sight seeing. So I'm just worrying about my, and the cars safety. And I do like a car with a very stiff suspension. I like to feel the road.
ya, then id just go trd springs w/ trd shocks/struts...no need for the rsb or clutch and junk....just a waste of money if youll be doing lots of highway time
Old 01-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
S1L3N7 D3A7H

Awesome, awesome. Thanks for the help man. Now the ultimate question.

Should I just wait for the 2010 models to come out the 2nd half of this year?
Maybe that new 1.33ltr engine with start/stop tech and a 6 speed manual will be released.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
first is the TRD rear sway bar and the springs and struts from the rear... ill get a pic of the front sometime tomorrow or tonight.. the second picture is with 17x7 215/40/17 tires. keep in mind i took the rear seats out so it took some weight off the rear otherwise it would be the same all around
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
skip the clutch as the trd one is slightly better than stock and more expensive then others that are available. id also forgo the dropin filter, as their are better versions such as K/N......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
frodos

Drives: Yaris hatchback
i don't think that you will have the option to get that engine i live in panama city in central america, here the liftback is only 4 doors with a 1.3 engine and i ask our dealer if they will be getting that model but they said that no because the engine is more expensive as it is not a regular VVT-i that engine is a dual VVT-i and in the us they never introduced the 1.3 engine but if you can get the 1.33 will be really nice to hear the opinion about how it runs in comparison with a 1.5 engine as they have the same HP
frodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
S1L3N7 D3A7H

Awesome info guys, very helpful.

So I think I'll do as suggested and drop the filter and clutch but keep the springs, shocks, and RSB.

Now I'm mostly going for high MPG and to have a very stable and safe ride.
So what would I be better off with as far as aerodynamics are concerned between the Base and the Sport for what would get the best MPG?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Awesome info guys, very helpful.

So I think I'll do as suggested and drop the filter and clutch but keep the springs, shocks, and RSB.

Now I'm mostly going for high MPG and to have a very stable and safe ride.
So what would I be better off with as far as aerodynamics are concerned between the Base and the Sport for what would get the best MPG?
get whichever one comes with a tachometer ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #11
S1L3N7 D3A7H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
get whichever one comes with a tachometer ;)
Lolz, I can always add one with a shift light on it for MPG. I'm more concerned about aerodynamics and MPG. I want the lowest drag coefficient possible.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
Tamago

Quote:
Lolz, I can always add one with a shift light on it for MPG. I'm more concerned about aerodynamics and MPG. I want the lowest drag coefficient possible.
i can guarantee you won't see a mileage decrease because of some flowery skirts/lips on your bumpers..

the tach on the other hand... will make the car worth more in 6 years when you go to sell it.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
S1L3N7 D3A7H

Quote:
i can guarantee you won't see a mileage decrease because of some flowery skirts/lips on your bumpers..

the tach on the other hand... will make the car worth more in 6 years when you go to sell it.
Well than I can take a simplistic approach, and overall less expensive approach to just get the base and add on a RS styled front bumper and side skirts.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
Tamago

Quote:
Well than I can take a simplistic approach, and overall less expensive approach to just get the base and add on a RS styled front bumper and side skirts.
is that really cheaper?

does the base model come with a tach?
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #15
S1L3N7 D3A7H

Quote:
is that really cheaper?

does the base model come with a tach?
Don't necessarily need a tach. I come with one built in, its just a luxury item to have an externalized one.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #16
Tamago

Quote:
Don't necessarily need a tach. I come with one built in, its just a luxury item to have an externalized one.
RICER ALERT RICER ALERT!!!!!

ok so you have a built in tach...

what else is built in? airbag?
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #17
andruboz
boohachimono

Drives: 07 hb
Send a message via AIM to andruboz
this is the ground clearance with trd front suspension and 15" rpf1s

if it were any lower i would have heard that horrible scraping sound..
couldn't get my finger between the bumper and the curb.

I have to remember it is lowered now.

crappy cell phone pic.
Attached Images

andruboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #18
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post
this is the ground clearance with trd front suspension and 15" rpf1s
what size tire though? that's what decides the car's height, not the wheel diameter (generally)
you nailed it sir.