Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
bronson drives his Yaris out west from NJ, 2010

The pictures start on a back road across Colorado and approaching Pikes Peak which is the mountain in the background. Then the pics go up PP.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
bronsin

This picture taken from the top of Pikes Peak shows the road I drove across CO to get to PP. The 1st two pics were taken on this road...
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Memories............!

I turned 5 yrs. old in April of '66 and that Summer of '66 we drove to Disneyland in California from suburban Chicago. It was a 2 week car trip. We drove up Pikes Peak on the way out or back. My brother was going on 7 that following November. What I remember at the top was it was barren, just rocks all over. I also remember my brother and I sitting down, pushing rocks over the side of the 'peak' with with our little tennis shoe clad feet, trying to start an avalanche (of course...!) Ah, memories...!

Your photos are awesome, so cool! That Yaris has been MORE places then most people in this country have been.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Yaris record laptime at Pike's Peak lol. What a view

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
I turned 5 yrs. old in April of '66 and that Summer of '66 we drove to Disneyland in California from suburban Chicago. It was a 2 week car trip. We drove up Pikes Peak on the way out or back. My brother was going on 7 that following November. What I remember at the top was it was barren, just rocks all over. I also remember my brother and I sitting down, pushing rocks over the side of the 'peak' with with our little tennis shoe clad feet, trying to start an avalanche (of course...!) Ah, memories...!

Your photos are awesome, so cool! That Yaris has been MORE places then most people in this country have been.
The road must have been all dirt then and much scarier to drive. They were in the process of finishing the paving when I was there. Its much easier to control the car on pavement than dirt!

Yes the Yaris has been to Alaska (10,400 miles) and around the west (8,000 miles) and it just turned only 37,000 miles!

Last edited by bronsin; 07-20-2014 at 08:43 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
bronsin

After leaving the Colorado Springs area and Pikes Peak I drove across Colorado and stopped in Montrose for the night. In the morning I drove through the Uncompagreh National Forest on dirt roads. I came to a sign just before entering that showed the maze of roads I would have to navigate to get to the other side of the forest. The orange dot is "You Are Here". I had to go all the way across. Good way to get badly lost! But I made it and when I did, I asked the two construction workers "Im from NJ. Where am I?" This got lots of laughs!

After clearing the forest I was on my way to Monument Valley in Utah.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The road must have been all dirt then and much scarier to drive. They were in the process of finishing the paving when I was there. Its much easier to control the car on pavement than dirt!

Yes the Yaris has been to Alaska (10,400 miles) and around the west (8,000 miles) and it just turned only 37,000 miles!
Yes, it must have been unpaved then. My dad was a Chevy dealer & I know we were in a station wagon, Impala I am strongly guessing. The photos are so cool, it's neat seeing the road/highway you drove in on from on top of the peak!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Great pics . Just curious.....make and model of camera used to take them ?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Wow great pictures! Love road trips myself.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:39 AM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Great pics . Just curious.....make and model of camera used to take them ?
Really just wondering if my current camera ( a Fuji FinePix S8200 16.2MP with a 40x optical zoom) that I bought last year could take those pics (really, the last one)....or would I need my next camera (a Canon 70D DSLR).
Old 07-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #11
bronsin

Canon G9. I also have a Nikon D200 with the 18-135 lens...a really SHARP lens...amazingly so. But most of the pics were taken with the G9.

Almost ANY digital camera takes good pictures. The only thing is a lot of people are buying prime (fixed) focal length lenses now. (like 50mm fixed) You really want a zoom lens. Zoom lenses in the past werent so hot but the ones today are supereior.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Canon G9. I also have a Nikon D200 with the 18-135 lens...a really SHARP lens...amazingly so. But most of the pics were taken with the G9.

Almost ANY digital camera takes good pictures. The only thing is a lot of people are buying prime (fixed) focal length lenses now. (like 50mm fixed) You really want a zoom lens. Zoom lenses in the past werent so hot but the ones today are supereior.
Thanks. Good to know I could take similar pics (with my Fuji) if I ever make it to Pike's Peak. My cheap point and shoot went on the fritz (the battery (2AA) door broke) last year (IIRC) and I replaced it with a new ZTE Flash Cell Phone (12.1 MP) that I got new (on sale) for $99.99 and bought just for the camera (not to activate)....easier than even the point and shoot to take into places where a regular camera is inconvenient or too conspicuous.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #13
bronsin

Hmm interesting.

I checked out the Fuji S8200 and I think you should have no problem at all taking great pictures with it.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
Slitwrist Smile

Drives: 2008 yari sedan/2007 sc'd tC
Quote:
The pictures start on a back road across Colorado and approaching Pikes Peak which is the mountain in the background. Then the pics go up PP.
What is the 3rd picture of, where all the cops are? Some sort of state checkpoint in Colorado or something?? Please give me details! :)
Slitwrist Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Hmm interesting.

I checked out the Fuji S8200 and I think you should have no problem at all taking great pictures with it.
Thanks for taking the time to do that. I really like the camera. Sometimes I like to take pictures of the outside of a building (and the area around it) when the building doesn't allow picture taking inside (some museums have this policy). Cell phones aren't usually prohibited, so I just take the ZTE Flash rather than having to make another trip back to my car...which might not be convenient. Also, sometimes you don't want to be 'that person with the camera around your neck'....sometimes doesn't lend itself to the place or event. When I got the ZTE I thought it was a cheap way to get 95% of the ability of the camera on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. At the time, I was aware of the 41MP Camera on some of the Nokia phones. I thought it must be a gimmick...that the pictures couldn't be very good. A few months later I noticed the manager of my local Panera Bread had a Galaxy Note 3 and asked him how he liked the camera. We started talking about cell phone cameras. He likes his Note 3, but he started telling me about his friend's camera. His friend is a professional photographer in Florida. He has a $4,000 DSLR and happens to do a lot of shoots near or on water. Occasionally he feels that a situation is too likely to expose his $4k DSLR to damage, so he sought out an alternative. He bought one of the 41MP Nokias and was utterly amazed at how close it comes in quality (only uses it in those applications) to his $4k DSLR. If I find the right deal, I might get one of those and give the ZTE Flash to a relative.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitwrist Smile View Post
Some sort of state checkpoint in Colorado or something?
...Does it really matter? As of May 6, 2014, the US Military can capture and detain US citizens indefinitely anywhere on planet Earth without due process. Also, 2/3 of our population have no Fourth Amendment rights re living within 100 miles of the U.S. Border.

http://americablog.com/2014/05/post-...zens-ndaa.html

http://blogs.computerworld.com/priva...rotections-dhs
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitwrist Smile View Post
What is the 3rd picture of, where all the cops are? Some sort of state checkpoint in Colorado or something?? Please give me details! :)
Its the entrance to Pikes Peak. I think the road opens at 6am I got there half an hour early. When I drove out the gate after summiting and returning an hour or two later the line of cars was a mile long and they only allow so many cars an hour onto the road.

Moral of the story get there early if you want to drive it!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #18
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do that. I really like the camera. Sometimes I like to take pictures of the outside of a building (and the area around it) when the building doesn't allow picture taking inside (some museums have this policy). Cell phones aren't usually prohibited, so I just take the ZTE Flash rather than having to make another trip back to my car...which might not be convenient. Also, sometimes you don't want to be 'that person with the camera around your neck'....sometimes doesn't lend itself to the place or event. When I got the ZTE I thought it was a cheap way to get 95% of the ability of the camera on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. At the time, I was aware of the 41MP Camera on some of the Nokia phones. I thought it must be a gimmick...that the pictures couldn't be very good. A few months later I noticed the manager of my local Panera Bread had a Galaxy Note 3 and asked him how he liked the camera. We started talking about cell phone cameras. He likes his Note 3, but he started telling me about his friend's camera. His friend is a professional photographer in Florida. He has a $4,000 DSLR and happens to do a lot of shoots near or on water. Occasionally he feels that a situation is too likely to expose his $4k DSLR to damage, so he sought out an alternative. He bought one of the 41MP Nokias and was utterly amazed at how close it comes in quality (only uses it in those applications) to his $4k DSLR. If I find the right deal, I might get one of those and give the ZTE Flash to a relative.
I have an old Apple something or other that does stills and HD video which is like your cell phone camera. Its about half a megapixel. The only bad thing about cell phones as cameras is no flash and the touch screen sucks for control but I guess you can adapt. Also you want a viewfinder for action photography.

Really off the top of my head I would have spent the $99 on a used or new point and shoot instead but you may have other good ideas about it.

Oh and my Nikon D200 is 10 MP and Ive never taken a picture more than 5 MP with it. I had a 24x36 aluminum print made of one of the pictures to give my mom in the nursing home in Houston and its freakin awesome.

Megapixels don't matter. You certainly don't want massive files. 10 MP is plenty!

Ive got ten minutes of video on the ipod touch for a helicopter flight over the Camadian Rockies around Banff. Also awesome1

But I don't know how to post it.

Last edited by bronsin; 07-21-2014 at 09:42 PM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote