Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Key doesn't work

Got a spare key made for the ignition and although it opens the door and will crank the car the car wont start,i suspect there is a computer chip in the original key that sends a signal to the ignition and my copy key doesnt have that chip,so i'm wondering what happens when the battery in the original key dies and can no longer send the code
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
so i'm wondering what happens when the battery in the original key dies and can no longer send the code
Quote:
Originally Posted by me searching on google
A transponder system comprises two primary components being the processor/interrogator and a microchip (transponder) embedded within the head of the key. The processor usually interacts with the fuel injection and varied other vehicle electronics systems.

When an attempt to start the vehicle is made, the interrogator sends a burst of Radio Frequency (RF) energy - at a defined frequency - to an antenna which usually surrounds the face of the ignition cylinder. As the transponder contains a tuned circuit matched to the frequency of the RF burst, a small voltage is generated by induction within the transponder chip. Whether this charges a capacitor I don't know, but the result is that the induced voltage causes the transponder chip to emit, by RF, it's individual code number - a thirty two (32) digit number, which can also contain alfa numeric characters.

If the processor recognises the returned code number, it then allows the starter motor, fuel pump and/or fuel injection systems to function, and allow the vehicle to start. A common sign of a faulty or absent transponder is that the vehicle will start but will only run for a few seconds.
so, it may not HAVE a battery
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
doublewam

Drives: 2009 Yaris
That's the Theft Deterrent System working. No chip, no crank.

There is no battery in the key, just a chip; so no need to worry about it 'dying'.

If you ever need a new key, you have to get it from the dealership. More expensive but worth it. THE DTS makes the Yaris a tough cookie to hotwire as it locks down the engine when the 'chipped' key is not in the ignition.

Quote:
Got a spare key made for the ignition and although it opens the door and will crank the car the car wont start,i suspect there is a computer chip in the original key that sends a signal to the ignition and my copy key doesnt have that chip,so i'm wondering what happens when the battery in the original key dies and can no longer send the code
doublewam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
you should've known by law, all new cars sold since 2008 must be equipped with such thief deterrent system. ie, chip in the key.

And others said it already, chip needs no battery. It is like petro-Canada's paypass needs no battery to use, or Esso's speedpass :)
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Both of the 09’s I have had did not have a chip in the key.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebob View Post
Both of the 09’s I have had did not have a chip in the key.
how do you know there's no chip? look for a small dot molded into the plastic :)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
how do you know there's no chip? look for a small dot molded into the plastic :)
that small dot is located on metal part of key by key head. key has to be programmed to vehicle......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
that small dot is located on metal part of key by key head. key has to be programmed to vehicle......
thank you, i'd forgotten if it was on the plastic or metal. haven't worked at toyota in 2.5 yrs lol
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
firebob

I’m sure they did not have a chip because both of the cars I went to a lock smith place and got 2 extra keys cut for them. Both times it was right at $5 for 2 keys and it took under 5 min for him to copy the keys.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
I’m sure they did not have a chip because both of the cars I went to a lock smith place and got 2 extra keys cut for them. Both times it was right at $5 for 2 keys and it took under 5 min for him to copy the keys.
The "engine immobilizer" is an option on the 09's. It is part of the power package I believe.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Tamago

Quote:
and the car runs and drives with said keys? or did you simply check to see that they turned the ignition?
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
basically i bought the spare key to put in my wallet in case i lock my keys in the car so it doesnt really matter if it cant start the car as it just needs to open the door,but the spare key will crank the car it just wont start it,getting a spare key from the dealer sounds expensive...
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
firebob

Yes the keys I got for about $2.50 each will start and drive the car.

Different states have different requirements for new cars they put on the lot. Not all states need the engine immobilizer. It is not standard on the Yaris and if you look at the options page it will say you need the power package to get it. Why don’t you look? I would put up a link but I can not get a link right to the page.

But we talked about it with my first car in this tread. You might want to go look. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=key
Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #14
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
basically i bought the spare key to put in my wallet in case i lock my keys in the car so it doesnt really matter if it cant start the car as it just needs to open the door,but the spare key will crank the car it just wont start it,getting a spare key from the dealer sounds expensive...
That's good.. But you should have had 3 keys that came with your car. 2 master keys(one with remote) and one valet key. All 3 will start the car, with the only exception, the valet key will not open the trunk.

The master key will lock the trunk by turning LEFT

Quote:
Yes the keys I got for about $2.50 each will start and drive the car.

Different states have different requirements for new cars they put on the lot. Not all states need the engine immobilizer. It is not standard on the Yaris and if you look at the options page it will say you need the power package to get it. Why don’t you look? I would put up a link but I can not get a link right to the page.

But we talked about it with my first car in this tread. You might want to go look. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=key
The immobilizer is not a requirement in the States. It is probably possible (sure it was in your case then) to get a 09 yaris without immobilizer in some countries.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote