Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
DIY: Heated Seats for 2006-2011 Yaris

Attached is my DIY for installing seat heaters on a 2006 to 2011 Yaris. The DIY includes installing and wiring the seat heaters both with aftermarket seat covers and under the OEM seat fabric.

I installed a set (both front seats) in my 2009 Yaris Liftback, under my Clazzio leather seat covers (purchased from MicroImage). This installation was incredibly easy and would have been even easier if I was installing the seat heaters and seat covers at the same time.

I also installed one seat heater on Crashy's OEM driver's seat (2008 Liftback) under the OEM fabric. Fortunately, as a budget car, the Yaris seats are quite simple, so removing and reinstalling the OEM seat fabric was not difficult.

I have not removed the OEM seat fabric on a Yaris with the side airbags in the seat, so I would not recommend doing so. For seats with side airbags, I would recommend using seat cover like the Clazzio ones (which are designed to be used with seat mounted airbags). The other option for airbag equipped seats would be to install a single pad style seat heater, where just the lower cushion receives the heat pad.

The power circuit used in my DIY is more than capable of supplying power to four or five seat heater kits, should you choose to also outfit the rear seat. My kids are arguing that it is unfair that my wife and I have heated seats and they do not, so I believe that I will soon be adding rears to my installation to prevent a mutiny.

I purchased my seat heater kits from http://www.warmseats.com. Upon receipt I was very impressed with the quality of the pads and the wiring harness, so I would definitely recommend them to others.

As a final note, you will notice in the DIY the significant rust on the OEM seat which I perform the under OEM fabric installation. If you are wondering how a seat frame gets this rusty; It was Crashy's seat. After her demise and before I bought her, she spent over a year parked outside with all but her left rear window missing. There was actually moss growing on the front seats.

Yaris - Seat Heater Installation.pdf

Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
SWEET! CTScott, you are freaking awesome!

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
CTScott, you are truly a great asset to the Yaris community and your efforts are very much appreciated. Thanks for everything you do!
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Hard_Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris
+3 thanks for being so awesome!
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Eatoman

Drives: '07 Yaris 5dr HB
Wow! Excellent write-up! You da man CTScott! I sure hope this has been stickied!
Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
A+ Write up yet again Scott! This definitely needs to be stickied.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
henry33

Drives: yaris1.33
scott you are sick
is something you can't do ? :)
great stuff you are posting here
thanks
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
As always Scott, you rock! Do you have any pics of the OEM seat covers finished with the heating pads under them? I'm curious if you can see the heating pads under the OEM fabric or not. I don't see foam on the backside of the OEM fabric, so it makes me think you can see the marks where the heat pads are at.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I'm still kinda grossed out by using seats that had moss growing on them,lol
Seems kinda......squishy
Old 12-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
I'm still kinda grossed out by using seats that had moss growing on them,lol
Seems kinda......squishy
I was pretty grossed out myself, but I was amazed as to how well they cleaned up. The car also had a couple of inches of water on the floor, when I went to pick it up, and the spare tire well was completely full. The amazing thing with the seats is that the foam did not actually soak up the water, as opposed to the carpet and the thick sound isolating padding that was under some areas of the carpet, which were completely saturated.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
As always Scott, you rock! Do you have any pics of the OEM seat covers finished with the heating pads under them? I'm curious if you can see the heating pads under the OEM fabric or not. I don't see foam on the backside of the OEM fabric, so it makes me think you can see the marks where the heat pads are at.
Here's a picture of the finished product. The pads are so thin that they really don't show, even with the lack of foam on the OEM fabric. The only thing that is noticeable is a small bump near the back of the seat bottom, where the thermostat is located.

Crashy Seat.jpg
Old 12-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
2-3 minutes warm-up time. How much do you estimate you spent in parts all said and done? I'm wondering if it is worth it, seeing as the Yaris gets warm quickly and my tolerance for freezer-burn pain is quite high...
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
2-3 minutes warm-up time. How much do you estimate you spent in parts all said and done? I'm wondering if it is worth it, seeing as the Yaris gets warm quickly and my tolerance for freezer-burn pain is quite high...
The heaters are $75 per seat shipped (if you buy them from their ebay listings, rather than their website), including their harness, and the rest of the parts (relay and socket, butt splices, etc.) I had on hand. I would say that for someone to do 2 seats it would be $150 + about $15 for the relay and parts.

With the 2-3 minute warm up, that is very similar to the heater coming on, and I really had no interest to putting one in for myself, but now that I have it, I can wait to go out in the car. There is such a difference in directly heating your buns and back, as opposed to having dry hot air blowing on or around you. I could drive with my moon roof open on a below freezing day now.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #14
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Scott,
I have been pulling out my hair trying to find a 20 Amp relay along with the socket like you used. I went to AutoZone, O'Reillys, CarQuest, and another auto parts and wasted 3 hrs to no avail. Can you assist? Also, none of them actually carried a 18-22 AWG top splice either....please help me not waste another evening getting nothing accomplished! Thanks mang!

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Scott,
I have been pulling out my hair trying to find a 20 Amp relay along with the socket like you used. I went to AutoZone, O'Reillys, CarQuest, and another auto parts and wasted 3 hrs to no avail. Can you assist? Also, none of them actually carried a 18-22 AWG top splice either....please help me not waste another evening getting nothing accomplished! Thanks mang!
For the relay, you want a "universal automotive relay", which is typically rated for 40A. Here's one from Autozone's website, but they definitely carry them in their stores as well:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=437420_0_0_

Here's the 18-22 AWG tap splice (the red one in this kit of three):
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=421789_0_0_
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #16
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
For the relay, you want a "universal automotive relay", which is typically rated for 40A. Here's one from Autozone's website, but they definitely carry them in their stores as well:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=437420_0_0_

Here's the 18-22 AWG tap splice (the red one in this kit of three):
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=421789_0_0_

Ouch...they are showing nothing below 22 bucks per relay for some reason...the 40 amp that you link to they want 30 bucks...not sure that I want to swallow that type of investment on the relay, but then again it is much better than a dead battery possibly. What about the socket though?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Ouch...they are showing nothing below 22 bucks per relay for some reason...the 40 amp that you link to they want 30 bucks...not sure that I want to swallow that type of investment on the relay, but then again it is much better than a dead battery possibly. What about the socket though?
That sounds way too high. Radio Shack even carries them for $8:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=145898269

Typically, places that sell them will also have the harness or socket for them. The other option is to use fully insulated female spade connectors, if you can't find the harness.

I bought a bunch of relays and sockets a while back for doing remote starter installs. I remember paying about $4 each for the relays and less than $2 each for the harnesses. Here's a place selling the harnesses for $2:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...RELAY/-/1.html
Old 12-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #18
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
epic write up. this is beautiful. this should be a sticky. i will be trying this for next year (mine has seat airbags but i gonna try it anyways)

Tags
diy, electrical, heated, heaters, seat