Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
New (used) Yaris and a few Questions

Hi, I am brand new here and have been searching and reading for hours. Lots of good stuff on this site! I bought my 08 Hatch a week ago and was driving pick up trucks for the past several years. So yes...this is a totally new thing for me. I am grateful to have this forum for information since my Yaris seems to have a few quirks...or does it??

First off, it starts great, runs great and stops great and does all this using very little fuel and looking great!

Here are my 2 observations and one question.

1. The A/C does not seem to be a powerhouse. It comes on and blows cold air but it does not freeze you out like some a/c units in some cars. I pretty much have to run it on high to make things comfy here in San Diego Does this sound about right? I think a sunshade in the windshield might help out quite a bit when it is parked in the sun.

2. The brakes stop the car just fine. It is a 08 and does not have ABS. Occasionally when braking at high speeds I feel a little more movement in the brake pedal (very slight) before it seems to begin stopping the car. Not sure how else to say it...like it has a bit of free play travel when using them quickly or when the car is moving at high speed...does this seem normal?

3. I stupidly put my spare change in the little triangle shaped storage bin on the side of the front/center console (beside the climate controls) and it has managed to work it's way thru the cracks around the edges and is now trapped between the storage area and whatever is under that. Black hole? I know how to remove the trim strips on the sides of the climate controls but after that am lost. Might be 40 or 50 cents in there that I could buy some gas with so hopefully someone can help me get in there.

Thanks all for any enlightening.
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

Now for your questions:

1. no, the a/c is not a powerhouse, tinting the windows helps a ton. If you can do it yourself it is cheaper, but paying for a pro to do it makes it look better. You generally want to tint the windows near whatever the legal limit is, but giving 5% or so room at least if you have to deal with inspections.

2. It sounds normal to me. The idea is if you are on a highway you probably don't want to slam on the brakes. Mine function similarly.

3. Link to the online manual. There are diagrams in there for literally everything. On the left of the steering wheel there is a little drawer type thingy below the cupholder (well below) that is meant for holding change. There are lots of little hidden cargo spots around the car.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
Thank You!
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote