Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
UndefinedDesign

Drives: 2002 SVT Focus
Question How strong is this engine?

Has there been any Vitz/Yaris with bolt-ons? I've seen a BestMotoring International with a supercharged Vitz RS... which would be sweet to have. Can this engine take performance mods well?
UndefinedDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
VitzBoy
Administrator

Drives: Yaris
Yup, TRD has a turbo Vitz

http://www.trdparts.jp/parts_vitz-carbon.html

And here's the C-One Vitz (not sure what engine mods it has)

http://www.c-one.co.jp/C-ONEPARTS/vitz-rs.html
VitzBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #3
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
The US spec uses the same engine as the Scion Xa/Xb and there are supercharger and turbo kits for them. The greddy turbo kit is also mounted so that if you dont want to run a fmic you can run a tmic since the turbo aims up towards the top of the engine and the intake is on the other side.
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:06 AM   #4
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
The engine handles boost ok, as long as boost is kept around 6 psi...EL Prototypes did a lot of testing trying to boost the 1NZ-FE and found the internals weak above that...

Toyota Canada has done up TTE (Toyota Team Europe) Supercharged versions of the Gen 1 Yaris, and is currently showing a current Gen 2 Yaris with a TTE supercharger in it as well...

TTE has done superchargers in europe on the Gen 1 Yaris...

TRD used to do a factory turbocharged Gen 1 Vitz, as well as a bolt on Supercharger, which is the same as the TTE/Blitz unit...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:48 AM   #5
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
well the car is super cheap so upgrading internals wouldn't be that bad
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
Mess11

Drives: Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy
That's why I'm interested in it.. it comes cheap stock so I'll have plenty of money left to mod it to my liking :)
Mess11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
ekafgsr

Drives: honda civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy
true dat
ekafgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #8
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I've never delved much into the realm of forced induction, so I'm ignorant on the subject. A guy at work says the difference between turbo and SC (aside from setup) is that SC tends to be faster off the line, while turbo has more punch at higher speeds. Anyone want to clarify? Oh, and do you use fuel management with SC like you do with turbos? I'm assuming you must, I just haven't heard them mentioned together (turbos seem to be more popular for some reason, so that's all I ever hear about).

I'm dying to get my hands on one of these and play around with it!
Old 02-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Turbo's are more popular because they are used to get max horsepower and they can get bigger numbers.

Superchargers are usually pulley driven, while turbo's are exhaust driven.

There have been many discussions as to which is better, but in general if you want max hp go with a turbo, if you want max acceleration go with a supercharger.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
el yaris
boost all the way

Drives: supercharged matrix,trb tercel
Well I am one of the guys from the el prototypes shop. I drive a supercharged matrix and a turbo tercel. The 1nz motor is not good with handeling boost. The engine will last maybe 3 months or 9 months at 6psi depending on driving it is pretty much a time bomb. The rods are no bigger than a pencil in thickness. We plans for a yaris as soon as they come out. We will probley make a header and intake. There may be other stuff for the hard core to come.
el yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
Yippee Ky Ay!!
Old 02-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #12
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
http://www.greddy.com/

There's a supercharge kit for the Scion xB from GReddy. They have the same engine and I've heard of people getting them for the xA already. Not sure if that's just a rumor, but.......

"Chosen vehicles with limited space for modification and vehicles with close-coupled catalytic converters are idea for GReddy supercharging. State-of-the-art Magna-Chargers with internal by-pass minimize drag while fuel tuning is optimized for smooth linear power, with our pre-programmed e-manage and hi-flow cast intake manifolds. Included GReddy belt and pulley systems make this a complete bolt-on upgrade."
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #13
AutoTech1

Drives: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge
I've never delved much into the realm of forced induction, so I'm ignorant on the subject. A guy at work says the difference between turbo and SC (aside from setup) is that SC tends to be faster off the line, while turbo has more punch at higher speeds. Anyone want to clarify? Oh, and do you use fuel management with SC like you do with turbos? I'm assuming you must, I just haven't heard them mentioned together (turbos seem to be more popular for some reason, so that's all I ever hear about).

I'm dying to get my hands on one of these and play around with it!
Superchargers tend to see less gains in hp... They are belt driven, mostly by the crankshaft. This means that they use part of the engines power just to make them function... Sometimes it takes 60 horsepower (or more) to drive the SC. The plus side is the airflow helps it create more power than what is losts in the first place... But SC's do tend to make less power than Turbo's.

Turbo's use exhausts gases to drive them, which would otherwise be wasted by NA cars and Supercharged cars. Since it uses exhausts that do not benefit the engine, it sees no horsepower losses as the belt driven SC does.

Since the turbo has no gears, it tends to run more quietly. Turbochargers are also smaller and wieght less than SC's. Therefore, I'd go the turbo way...
AutoTech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #14
evolutionist03

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to evolutionist03 Send a message via MSN to evolutionist03 Send a message via Yahoo to evolutionist03
One question! The supercharger is more mechanical driven right? If you are concern with reliability, would you get a supercharger, or get a turbo?
evolutionist03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

If you are concerned with reliability get neither.

If you must get one though, just make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing and spend a lot of time on the fuel curves so they are right.

The majority of aftermarket pressurization fails because the tuners did not spend enough time adjusting the fuel maps. Oh, getting a new ecu etc is also the way to go.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #16
w1ngzer0

Drives: Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
If you are concerned with reliability get neither.

If you must get one though, just make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing and spend a lot of time on the fuel curves so they are right.

The majority of aftermarket pressurization fails because the tuners did not spend enough time adjusting the fuel maps. Oh, getting a new ecu etc is also the way to go.
. Don't need a new ECU but a piggyback should do the trick.
w1ngzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #17
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0
. Don't need a new ECU but a piggyback should do the trick.
A new ECU would be safer. Better off to tune it to your specs then have a piggyback that kinda sorta maybe does what it should.

Especially if you're looking for reliability and future tuning growth.

Piggybacks are just stop gap measures.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #18
w1ngzer0

Drives: Subaru Impreza
Huh? kinda sorta do what it should? I've never herd any problems with piggybacks comming from the nissan and subaru community. There is the e-con and the AFC from apex.

Thats why when you get the piggyback you program it :)

Last edited by w1ngzer0; 05-11-2006 at 07:02 PM.
w1ngzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote