Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #1
grvdggr

Drives: Yaris 1.0 -00
Question New Spark Plugs, Engine Light Appear

I got new spark plugs from Toyota for my -00 Yaris from Japan.
They are Denso K16R-U as it should be, I gapped them to the old ones (NGK BKR5EYA) which was about 1.8.
But later I read they ought to be 0.7 for my engine, took them out and gapped them to 0.7.
It felt like the engine had lost power and it was hesitant on 1st and 2nd gear.
After about 75 km the engine light came on.
I read that you are not suppose to gap the original spark plugs and Iridium is sensitive so I thought that I had broken them.
Bought a new set, no gapping this time and it again felt like the engine had lost power at some moments.
Sure enough after about 75 km the engine light came on again!
Why I wonder, I did it right this time with original spark plugs but it seems like it wants the old NGK back with the 1.8 wide gap.
The only thing I can think of is if they at some point replaced the engine to the french one which should be gapped to 1.1.
I will check my engine ID and get back.
Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?
grvdggr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
You mean check engine light? What codes are showing? Can't tell why the light went on unless you give us the code.......Po...something.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
tomm9050

Drives: Yaris 2008 HB
I just got new plugs for my '08 HB. Denso SK16R11. Iridium

Did I get the right ones and what should they be gapped at?
tomm9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm9050 View Post
I just got new plugs for my '08 HB. Denso SK16R11. Iridium

Did I get the right ones and what should they be gapped at?
Toyota iridium plugs are pre gapped just install
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvdggr View Post
I got new spark plugs from Toyota for my -00 Yaris from Japan.
They are Denso K16R-U as it should be, I gapped them to the old ones (NGK BKR5EYA) which was about 1.8.
But later I read they ought to be 0.7 for my engine, took them out and gapped them to 0.7.
It felt like the engine had lost power and it was hesitant on 1st and 2nd gear.
After about 75 km the engine light came on.
I read that you are not suppose to gap the original spark plugs and Iridium is sensitive so I thought that I had broken them.
Bought a new set, no gapping this time and it again felt like the engine had lost power at some moments.
Sure enough after about 75 km the engine light came on again!
Why I wonder, I did it right this time with original spark plugs but it seems like it wants the old NGK back with the 1.8 wide gap.
The only thing I can think of is if they at some point replaced the engine to the french one which should be gapped to 1.1.
I will check my engine ID and get back.
Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?
From the factory your car could have had the 1SZ-FE or 2NZ-FE engine. You mention Yaris 1.0, so I assume you mean the 1.0L.

For the 1SZ-FE (1.0L) the correct plugs are 90919-01176 (NGK BKR5EYA) gapped to 0.8mm

For the 2NZ-FE (1.3L) the correct plugs are 90919-01164 (NGK BKR5EYA-11) gapped to 1.1mm
Old 09-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #6
grvdggr

Drives: Yaris 1.0 -00
Sorry about my late response, I've tried to locate the engine serial number which I now have.
However I don't know how to decode it and I can't find anything on google.
Serial number on engine is 0277368 last digit might be 9, hard to see due to rust.
Does anyone know how to decode this engine serial number so I can be sure what kind of engine I have in my Yaris?
Yes, I mean Check Engine Light and the engine is supposed to be a 1.0 liter 68 hp.
Never had a problem with my old NGK sparkplugs which is gapped at 1.8!
Installed new ones Denso K16R-U gapped them to 1.1, check engine light came on after about 75 km.
When I replace spark plugs I pull the battery, then the Check Engine Light will reset.
Replaced them with another set of Denso K16R-U but this time didn't gap them, same thing check engine light after about 75 km.
In other words factory gapped.
I have also tried tried Denso K16R-U gapped at 0.8.
I can't check codes, I don't have a OBDII reader, can you recommend one?
grvdggr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvdggr View Post
I can't check codes, I don't have a OBDII reader, can you recommend one?
I'm using one of the cheapest I could find. Nothing fancy, simply reads stored codes and allows you to reset. Since codes are easy enough to look up online, you don't need one of the fancy ones that will read codes, plus provide textual descriptions of the codes. At $50 Canadian for the one I have, it has paid for itself many times over performing diagnostics on my, friends, relatives, and neighbours vehicles. In fact, since unlike my American neighbours, we do not have establishments that read codes for free, at one use, the reader more than paid for itself.

I'm willing to bet that you are throwing a misfire code which usually points to plugs or coils. If this is the case, once you read codes you will know which cylinder is misfiring. At that point, you can swap that cylinders plug for a neighbouring one and see if the code follows the plug to its relocated cylinder. If it does, bad plug. If code appears, but for original cylinder, perform the same exercise with the coil.

Last edited by WeeYari; 09-21-2015 at 02:00 PM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote