Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Experiencing Torque Converter Issues

It's my turn to post my griefs/problems for your dissection:

I have a 2009 Yaris AT that I feel is starting to exhibit problems with it's torque converter.
I'm experiencing occasional slippage under heavy acceleration, lower acceleration speed, (did a comparison between my car and another stock AT Yaris and mine had some trouble keeping up; had to rev the engine more I feel) and shuddering that comes and goes at iddle speed.
Also checked the transmission fluid dipstick and found some black-powdery contaminants on the stick. Fluid colour is a slightly dark red.
The car has just over 65,000km and I don't recall if the previous owner ever did a transmission oil change.
Should I just start with changing the ATF and have someone take a look at it?
I have an oil change scheduled in a few days so that would be a good time to do it.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I would go ahead and do the fluid change and would probably also drop the pan and change the screen filter and check to see how much is stuck to the magnets.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
invader166
Pumpman

Ok. I'll start with that. I've scheduled the transmission job for Tuesday. Will update on findings after.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:00 PM   #4
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Sounds as if the clutches are shot; it is very likely time for a full rebuild especially if the oil smells burnt.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
invader166
Pumpman

It's possible they are! Either the ATF was never changed (likely since I don't have the full mainenance history of the car), or the wrong ATF was used.
If it turns out to be that, than I don't see any other way they would get worn out so quickly...
Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
65,000 KM? That seems rather low mileage for a Toyota transmission to be having problems. Let us know what happens.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
invader166
Pumpman

Ok, service is finished. I had the oil pan removed and cleaned. The oil filter was also changed.
System was then filled with new ATF and flushed.
Also had the computer checked and no transmission codes were found.

Findings:
Original fluid had a purple tint to it.
Very small amount of metal found on magnets and pan - normal wear;
Opened old filter for inspection: very minor bits of aluminum found - normal wear;

Result:
I definitly feel a difference in how the car handdles! It's more responsive and feels like it pulls harder than before the service. I'll be doing some acceleration tests in the next few days to see if there is any more slippage. So far so good though.
I also don't feel anymore shuddering at iddle either.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #8
invader166
Pumpman

Ok! After a few tests, I'm happy to report I'm not experiencing any issues with slippage anymore. In fact, the only time I felt a lack of pull was because the tires themselvs had started heating up, giving me wheels-spin.

I'm a happy guy now!!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
What Trans fluid did you use. I'm starting to experience a similar feeling in my Echo. I'm hesitant to change the fluid as it has 365,000km on it (ha it changed when I bought the car at 287,000km). But it's time is gets done. I don't think i'm going to drop the pan though, i'll just drain and fill.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #10
RutherfordmanX

Drives: 2017 Yaris Hatchback
tmontague know the feeling. At 314,000 miles I have only did a pan dump and used Toyota fluid. I am even afraid to crack the pan open at this point. Still have the original filter in it but should change it and do another pan dump. Fluid is a reddish brown. Shifts fine but every now and then it will shift just a slight bit hard at low speed. I really think the engine will go to 500,000 miles but the auto tranny not sure. Engine still accelerates great and oil stays pretty clean between changes, only use Castrol GTX and do my own changes.....alot.
RutherfordmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
invader166
Pumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
What Trans fluid did you use. I'm starting to experience a similar feeling in my Echo. I'm hesitant to change the fluid as it has 365,000km on it (ha it changed when I bought the car at 287,000km). But it's time is gets done. I don't think i'm going to drop the pan though, i'll just drain and fill.
Can't remember the brand off the top of my head. All I recall is that it was Synthetic. I'll check and give you an update when I get home.

I would say there's no real need to drop the pan, I just did it for my own peace of mind and to have a clean slate with a new referance point, since I had no idea when or if the ATF change was done. Now I can keep better track of the maintenance schedule. :-)
Old 11-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #12
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I went to the dealership on the weekend and grabbed their Trans fluid @ $7-8 per liter. The Echo takes 3.1L so I purchased 4 and ended up returning the last bottle.

The price was actually decent so I just stuck w/ Toyota fluid. I didn't drop the pan, the front bolt heads are pretty rusted so I just drained the old fluid and added new.

The old fluid was in pretty good condition it seemed. I never really had bad shifting or noises so nothing new changed there, maybe slightly smoother shifts over all.

The one thing I noticed was a quicker warm up engine temp than before. This seems odd and unrelated except that I noticed on super cold mornings last winter that the transmission would take an extra 5 mins to shift out of 3rd after the blue coolant light turned off.

I'm hoping the new fluid helps the trans/engine warm up quicker and get out of 3rd gear faster.