Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-17-2015, 12:32 AM   #1
SteelB12

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
2007 runs rough when put into gear but idles fine

So my girlfriend has an 07 Yaris sedan with auto tranny and between 100-110k miles on it. She told me today that the car would no longer go over about 25mph. The same thing happened a year ago and the shop where she took it replaced one of the ignition coils. Well, since the symptoms were the same, I figured the problem was the same. Doing some searching I found how to determine that one of the coils is bad. I replaced that coil. The car starts fine and idles fine.
Putting the car into reverse or drive causes the engine to stumble. Putting it into neutral has the engine return to a nice idle. The check engine light and service needed lights are on (were on before I changed the coil).
Replacing the coil was very easy. Did I miss a step? Is there something else I need to check? I drive a 4sp manual 87 Vanagon so her Yaris is a bit more complicated than I am accustomed to working on (I have replaced the water pump and transmission filter on her car last year)
SteelB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:59 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Take the car to Auto Zone or someplace that will read the code for free.

Then tell us what the code is and well go from there.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
I agree, in this type of situations the error code is key to find what's wrong. First thing that came to my mind when I read the title was a bad coil. It happened to me once, somehow water was getting into the coil's cylinder, causing misfire but no check engine light. I'd clean the MAF sensor, maybe installing the coils to a different cylinder or replace spark plugs.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
SteelB12

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I'll see if I can get her to have that done. Hopefully won't be something too serious
SteelB12 is offline   Reply With Quote