Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-26-2014, 01:38 AM   #1
LilyOfTheYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Khameleon Coolant?

Hello everyone, I am new and posted an introduction on another thread. My name is Lily.

A few weeks ago, I did a coolant flush that was suggested by a shot. (I did brakes too and have had nothing but problems ever since).

I recently noticed that my coolant is no longer red like it used to be but is now green. I went to the shop to tell them but they assured me that the coolant they use is suitable for my car since it's a "Khameleon" coolant that adapts to any type of car. After they told me they put in the right coolant, I am still not satisfied and I really feel they should give people the choice or notice about what type of coolant they are going to use. I want my red coolant back.

In the mean time, has anyone had any experienced with this "Kleen Khamelion" coolant?

This shop did some other things and things just did not go well with them. Also, since I got these procedures done, my car has been acting up. When I press the accelerator, I keep hearing a little "rattling" sound, which the shop believes was a bent heat shield that they bent back in place, but the sound is still there. I had to go back 3 or 4 times for my brakes to finally be done right. If anyone wants to know what shop (national chain) I went to, it was Firestone. Just be warned.
LilyOfTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
The first time I hear about Chameleon liquid.
Look at the color of engine oil and transmission
Old 03-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
barefoot_bajan

Drives: 02 vitz rs
sounds like you got the cheapest brand in history of coolant.

rattling noise could be timing chain related
Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Safety-Kleen Khameleon is actually supposed to be a reputable product and is used in many fleet applications.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
The red coolant that you speak of I would assume is the actual Toyota juice. It is a great product and unless mistaken no shop other than a Toyota dealership would carry it. I believe that if you didn't want to go with a dealership then you would need to purchase yourself and have a shop install or a friend. Personally anytime that I have fluids changed from one to another I have a flush done to remove as much remnants of the previous fluid and ensure as clean of a change as possible.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
By the way, there are solid coolants out there other than stock. The Safety-Kleen Khameleon is a reputable product per my understanding. I personally use the AMSOIL Propylene Glycol Antifreeze and Engine Coolant. It is a universal product and is up to seven years or 250,000 miles in passenger cars, light-duty trucks, vans and recreational vehicles. Other than the Toyota product I haven't heard of many that have that type of longevity and protection, but you get what you pay for.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
no shop other than a Toyota dealership would carry it.
^^^^^ This is my understanding as well.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
up to seven years or 250,000 miles in passenger cars, light-duty trucks, vans and recreational vehicles. Other than the Toyota product I haven't heard of many that have that type of longevity and protection,
Toyota and Amsoil. Almost 7 1/2 years and 276,000 + miles on the OEM Toyota fluid and all I've done is add part of a container of new fluild from a Toyota dealership to bring the level (always visible) in the plastic 'overflow reservoir' back up to the level at delivery. I've never had any issues re the car overheating....and that includes having the A/C on during a day in early August of 2011 when the temperature was 107.9 and the heat index with the humidity was over 140 .
Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyOfTheYaris View Post
I had to go back 3 or 4 times for my brakes to finally be done right. If anyone wants to know what shop (national chain) I went to, it was Firestone. Just be warned.
I've had great luck re tread life with Firestone tires, but I wouldn't have them do anything else.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
How many miles on your car ?

I'd go by Toyota and tell them your story they may do a diagnostic which is usually free in hopes of getting your business. If that heatshield is indeed damaged go back to Firestone and talk to a Manager. If you're not satisfied with the work keep on complaining till you either get a refund or they make it right.

If they give you attitude ask for an 800 number and call in and explain the wonderful job they did.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 AM   #11
LilyOfTheYaris

Thank you everyone. My concern with this "khameleon coolant" is that before on my red Toyota coolant, my car was always ready to go. But since getting this new green coolant, I always have the "cool" on my dashboard for about 5 minutes for it to go away. I never had this before.

Today, as I was going to install a cabin air filter in my car, I opened up the place to install my new filter and noticed that there was NOTHING in there. Back in January, they took out my cabin air filter to show it to me (because I refused the service for $60 knowing how cheap I could do it). They took it back but they never put it back in my car. Since January, I have been driving without a cabin air filter.

I feel like an idiot for having gone there in the first place. I should have gone somewhere else, how could they miss this. Yes, I'm complaining. I went back a few weeks ago too for a full inspection, yet they missed a missing cabin air filter. I'm just so mad.

So, driving around with no cabin air filter from January to late March....should I be concerned about any damage done to my car?

For my own sanity, I may just get this khameleon coolant replaced too, since I can't trust anything that comes out of this shop. I just can't trust them anymore. I don't know if khameleon coolant is ok, but I am uncomfortable having this "cool" sign go on for 5 minutes in the mornings with me just waiting for it to go off, when I never had this before on my Toyota coolant.

(PS: I made a mistake and posted in another section the full story of everything that happened at this shop, it's in a another thread so I won't repeat the story and I apologize for the double post. )
Old 03-27-2014, 01:24 AM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
should I be concerned about any damage done to my car?
No. I drove around for years without knowing I didn't have one. I learned the early Yari didn't come with a cabin air filter from the factory via a thread here on Yarisworld. IIRC, 2007 through 2009 Yari were delivered new without a cabin air filter. Some people get debris in the vent system from parking under certain types of trees on a regular basis, but I can't remember if all such people have that vent system issue, or if it is only such people who don't have a cabin air filter. I'm sure someone else will weigh in with that answer
Old 03-27-2014, 02:49 AM   #13
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Them guys are being aholes. Cause you're a woman they're trying to get all the money they can and throw bs claims at you. Get your car checked and if they screwed something up complain more.

Sorry you had such a screwed up experience. But from now on feel free to post in the forums for help.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 AM   #14
frambach

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Sorry you're getting such a run around.

You're fine without the cabin filter. I'd get one in there but don't lose sleep over it.

As far as the Khameleon coolant, you can find info about it here:
http://www.safety-kleen.com/products...ids/ant-freeze

Safety-Kleen (the maker of Khameleon) is a reputable company. Their antifreeze product looks to be on par with 'normal' ethylene glycol products.

Couple of things that are undesirable about it (to me) are:
- it's ethylene glycol (ie extemely toxic)
- it has 'hybrid' organic acids
- it has silicate in it

I'm with fnkngrv on coolant though. I use AMSOIL's propylene glycol product which is:
- propylene glycol (biodegradable & would have to be consumed in mass quantity to be toxic)
- poly organic acid (organic acids have a longer service life than inorganics, blends, or hybrids)
- silicate free
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 AM   #15
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
For my own sanity, I may just get this khameleon coolant replaced too, since I can't trust anything that comes out of this shop. I just can't trust them anymore. I don't know if khameleon coolant is ok, but I am uncomfortable having this "cool" sign go on for 5 minutes in the mornings with me just waiting for it to go off, when I never had this before on my Toyota coolant.
To make you feel better, I have the Genuine Super-duper Red Toyota Coolant and have the cold engine light too.

You don't need to wait, you can drive it, but slower and no rapid acceleration.

If I were you, I would use the green coolant for up to 2 years and then flush it out and put Toyota red back.

BTW, are you single? I would be happy to help you with your car problems for free.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:23 AM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack black View Post
BTW, are you single? I would be happy to help you with your car problems for free.
I was wondering if someone was going to ask.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #17
LilyOfTheYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
But from now on feel free to post in the forums for help.
I will, thank you so much. This shop has made me paranoid. First they tell me I have to replace the drum brakes and the last time they just cleaned and lubricated the brakes and no mention of any bad drum brakes. I'm never going back there.

Thank you so much for all your help :)
Old 04-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #18
LilyOfTheYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambach View Post

Couple of things that are undesirable about it (to me) are:
- it's ethylene glycol (ie extemely toxic)
- it has 'hybrid' organic acids
- it has silicate in it
Exactly my issue with it.