Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-29-2006, 12:58 PM   #91
d2dailly
Roar?

Drives: 07 White LB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to d2dailly
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
I pressed mute and started laughing until my sides hurt!
Here is the link to Amsoil PI. https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx
lol
d2dailly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #92
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Hey d2daily, I was just in Morristown, NJ. I went to a Jets game. Had VIP brunch at the stadium and front row seats. It was incredible! We took my Odyssey on that trip though. Got 25MPG round trip.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #93
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
You can order Amsoil online or I can put you in touch with my Amsoil guy and either he can ship it to you or know of someone or another place to order Amsoil from. Redline is also An excellent lubricant. Royal purple is decent but has had quality control issues in the past that I have seen first had with lab test results. Things like high copper levels, water and even grades being off. I would stick with Amsoil or Redline.
The rest like Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Motul, Qstate, pennzoil synthetics etc are all just highly refined crude/mineral based oil. IMO not worth the prices they charge

A 0w-30 wont hurt in any temp however if you live in a tropical climate a 5w-30 is all you really need. Stick with the 30W oils, 20W oils are super light. While they can help mileage ever so slightly too light of an engine oil on a car under heavy load orextremem temps or high rpm operation can shorten the life of the engine.

I'm from Costa Rica and we don't have Amsoil or red line oils.
These are the brands represented here:

Penzoil
Castrol
Shell
Mobil
ELF
Qstate

Do you have any experience with any of those brands? Which one would you recomend?
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:32 AM   #94
d2dailly
Roar?

Quote:
Hey d2daily, I was just in Morristown, NJ. I went to a Jets game. Had VIP brunch at the stadium and front row seats. It was incredible! We took my Odyssey on that trip though. Got 25MPG round trip.
hey, never been to a game myself but i would have went if i had VIP tickets ! i live in central nj so if you were on the turnpike, exit 8a is literally 1.5 miles from my house. too bad you didnt have the yaris maybe i would have saw you
Old 01-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #95
d2dailly
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
I'm from Costa Rica and we don't have Amsoil or red line oils.
These are the brands represented here:

Penzoil
Castrol
Shell
Mobil
ELF
Qstate

Do you have any experience with any of those brands? Which one would you recomend?
if they have mobil there then just use mobil 1 synthetic or if you wanna go the extra length just go onto amsoils website and order it
Old 01-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #96
Yaris305
Banned

Drives: Black
So is amsoil the best syntheic oil for our car then?
Yaris305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #97
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
As far as i have read in diferent websites, Amsoil is the bes syn Oil out there. Including for our cars.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:55 PM   #98
jouslee

Drives: White 2007 2 Door hatch Yaris
I don't know man... I like the purple stuff (Royal Purple) but I guess it's because Royal Purple burns clean therefore works well in rotaries, man I miss my rotary. But looking at Amsoil, and 35,000 mile oil changes, it is quite tempting.

I've also heard of this oil called Schaffer's oil (Not sure if I spelled it correctly) you guys might want to look it up. Basically, there are metal molecules in the oil and it pretty much helps seal the oil by filling the tiny gaps in the part of the block that the cylinders are moving up and down (Sorry for my lack of correct terminolgy, I'm from rotory world) therefore better preventing blowback (When exaust gasses go past the oil rings and into the oil). You must see the diagram to fully comprehend this illustration. I personally am quite suspicious because of the metal molecules in the oil but perhaps one of you may be bold enough use it in your yaris. If so PLEASE testify of the products effectiveness.

Thanks
-Josh
jouslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #99
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouslee View Post
I don't know man... I like the purple stuff (Royal Purple) but I guess it's because Royal Purple burns clean therefore works well in rotaries, man I miss my rotary. But looking at Amsoil, and 35,000 mile oil changes, it is quite tempting.

I've also heard of this oil called Schaffer's oil (Not sure if I spelled it correctly) you guys might want to look it up. Basically, there are metal molecules in the oil and it pretty much helps seal the oil by filling the tiny gaps in the part of the block that the cylinders are moving up and down (Sorry for my lack of correct terminolgy, I'm from rotory world) therefore better preventing blowback (When exaust gasses go past the oil rings and into the oil). You must see the diagram to fully comprehend this illustration. I personally am quite suspicious because of the metal molecules in the oil but perhaps one of you may be bold enough use it in your yaris. If so PLEASE testify of the products effectiveness.

Thanks
-Josh

Those types of oils / additives I think are made more for engines high mileage, loose rings and worn cylinders to increase compression etc.

as far as 35000 mile oil changes... that cant be serious is it? Ill never change my oil on that schedule.

Just put mobile 1 synthetic in this afternoon and noticed the engine runs smoother, hopefully thats not just a placebo effect of trying an expensive oil.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #100
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Amsoil is great and all but no api/starburst which means not kosher for warranty.
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #101
sleey0

Holy old thread, batman! My noobness says sorry..
Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #102
nsmitchell

Hey everyone. I still have my 07 Yaris. I've been using synthetic Mobil-1 and my last few have been with Valvoline Synthetic. My Yaris still runs perfectly. Almost 65K miles. Zero engine problems. Valvoline Synthetic with Napa Gold Oil Filters are a match made in heaven! I've been using 5W-20 or 5W-30. I just did a trip with my wife and 2 kids from Richmond, Va to Morristown, NJ and got 39MPG. We had the air conditioning going the whole time. Not bad at all.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #103
nsmitchell

Quote:
That was a long time ago... weird and funny at the same time. My 2 posts are still on the same page. Kinda like a little time capsule! hehe
Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #104
nsmitchell

Quote:
Hey everyone. I still have my 07 Yaris. I've been using synthetic Mobil-1 and my last few have been with Valvoline Synthetic. My Yaris still runs perfectly. Almost 65K miles. Zero engine problems. Valvoline Synthetic with Napa Gold Oil Filters are a match made in heaven! I've been using 5W-20 or 5W-30. I just did a trip with my wife and 2 kids from Richmond, Va to Morristown, NJ and got 39MPG. We had the air conditioning going the whole time. Not bad at all.
I also have Michelin HydroEdge tires! They are very grippy and safe, even in heavy rain!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #105
sleey0

Nippon ENEOS is all that goes in my engine, FWIW.

Just my .02 on an old thread:D
Old 08-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #106
sergo

Drives: yaris
Hi
Can anybody suggest which 5w20 oil is better and why, especially if they both made
by Shell

Pennzoil Platinum
http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum

or Quaker state advanced Engine?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Pennzoil is 4.73L and $1 more than 4 quarts Quaker state Advanced engine,

Since Yaris engine takes only 4L(btw, a bit more than 4 quarts) it seems to be a waste to buy a Pennzoil, unless it replaced often and .7L leftovers are accumulated to 4 L?
or Pennzoil Platinum significant better than QS.
QS Advanced Engine is no longer listed on QS website, and Pennzoil writes on a jug that
it cleans engine well, and when I did use it last time, it became dirty pretty quick which
means it did its cleaning job well?
sergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #107
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Both are very good oils as is SHELL Full Synthetic 5w-20 . All are from the same company . No bad choices , just which one is least expensive .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #108
The Sin

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I recently started a new job as a courier. I drive about 10,000 miles a month. I'm getting my oil changed every two weeks. I want to make the switch to synthetic. I'm thinking of going with Amsoil SAE 0W-30 Signature Series. According to the manufacturer, I can go 25,000 miles on each oil change. Does anyone have any input on this? Anyone else travel high miles like me? If so, what do you use? When I make make the switch, should I do a flush? I have just a little over 50,000 miles on my 2010 Yaris.
The Sin is offline   Reply With Quote