Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Does my Yaris really have a clutch problem?

I am not sure if my Yaris has a clutch problem or not. It seems to chatter sometimes when going from a complete stop (on level ground or uphill) to moving in first gear. But other times, especially if I concentrate on letting the clutch out slowly, it does not chatter.

QUESTION(S): Does my Yaris really have a clutch problem or not?

Is there anything I should do to further explore this question?

Thanks,

R.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:36 AM   #2
rayfloyd170

Drives: Yaris 2016 1.3 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
I am not sure if my Yaris has a clutch problem or not. It seems to chatter sometimes when going from a complete stop (on level ground or uphill) to moving in first gear. But other times, especially if I concentrate on letting the clutch out slowly, it does not chatter.

QUESTION(S): Does my Yaris really have a clutch problem or not?

Is there anything I should do to further explore this question?

Thanks,

R.

Add more details if possible, like total mileage of your car is very important,

I experienced a similar case but thinking my yaris was new at that time just roughly 35K KM so i assume it couldn't be a clutch problem.

I re-adjusted the clutch lever myself since it was adjusted by Toyota during the preventive maintenance on 30k, there was a tight tolerance "play" (feels a little engaged every time and always chatter) but after re-adjusting it everything went well and no more chattering.

I also cleaned the clutch linkages and added some lithium-based lube to the pivot point and everything was smooth.
rayfloyd170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Yes, providing us with mileage on the vehicle is very important. Unless you barely drive it and mileage is low, the clutch in an 11 year old car has got to be getting tired.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The first sign I've seen of my clutch going out is slippage in 5th or 4th gear when accelerating. But that means that there's already a serious problem with one or more mating surfaces of the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel and a replacement is imminent. I don't have experience with chattering though, could be some other cause.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfloyd170 View Post
Add more details if possible, like total mileage of your car is very important,
Very good point, sorry, I should have realized that. It has 105,000 miles on it and is almost 11.5 years old. I have not noticed slippage in 4th or 5th gear.

Thanks,

R.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
Very good point, sorry, I should have realized that. It has 105,000 miles on it and is almost 11.5 years old. I have not noticed slippage in 4th or 5th gear.

Thanks,

R.
QUESTIONS:

Does anybody have an opinion as to whether or not I have a clutch problem?

Is more information needed to determine whether or not I have a clutch problem?

Is there any advice you have as to what I should do at this point?

Thank you,

R.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris clutch chatter bleed master cylinder

By bleeding the clutch, I got a couple bubbles, some particles in the fluid, a slightly higher engagement point and a bit less chatter. (Chatter seems a little more likely in reverse gear. Keeping revs up enough seems to prevent chatter. Can't say my original motor/trans mounts are getting soft.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
RMcG

Like I said in my original post, the clutch sometimes seems to chatter when going from a complete stop to moving in first gear. It does not happen if I let the clutch out slowly enough, but the chattering seems to be worse than in the past. On the other hand I can live with the problem as it is. The car has 105,000 miles on it and is 11.5 years old.

QUESTION: When should I begin to worry that I have enough of a problem to try DIY troubleshooting/maintenance for the clutch or seek professional help for the clutch?

Thanks,

R.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #9
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
If you can get it up on a lift or jacks, there's an inspection window in the engine block that lets you look at the back side of the flywheel. You might be able to get an idea of the amount of wear by the amount of dust or debris in there, but you won't be able to see the surfaces without pulling the transmission. That's not a small job.

It's kind of a catch-22 for getting a professional to look at it. If they're going to pull the transmission to inspect it, you might as well pay for the parts since they're doing all of the labor anyway. If they pull it apart and it's fine, you might as well preemptively replace it since you've got it apart.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:38 AM   #10
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
If you can get it up on a lift or jacks, there's an inspection window in the engine block that lets you look at the back side of the flywheel. You might be able to get an idea of the amount of wear by the amount of dust or debris in there, but you won't be able to see the surfaces without pulling the transmission. That's not a small job.

It's kind of a catch-22 for getting a professional to look at it. If they're going to pull the transmission to inspect it, you might as well pay for the parts since they're doing all of the labor anyway. If they pull it apart and it's fine, you might as well preemptively replace it since you've got it apart.
Thanks you C.O. Man,

I will keep your advice in mind. What are automotive signs/symptoms that may eventually show up that you (or others) think that it would be definitely advisable to get a professional to look at it?

It's been the way it is for months now, but I am concerned that eventually if there is a problem it may become essentially undrive-able at an inconvenient time or place.

Any further comments from you or others will be appreciated.

R.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #11
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I've only seen the end of lifespan of 2 clutches. Usually, you will experience slipage under heavy load. At that point it can usually still be limped around for a couple hundred km keeping I mind to be easy on it. I doubt you'll have a complete failure leaving you stranded.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:59 PM   #12
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I've only seen the end of lifespan of 2 clutches. Usually, you will experience slipage under heavy load. At that point it can usually still be limped around for a couple hundred km keeping I mind to be easy on it. I doubt you'll have a complete failure leaving you stranded.
thanks very much MyFirst,

Any comments from anybody else will be welcomed as well.

RMcG
Old 12-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #13
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Relax, enjoy the car.
If the clutch goes, fix it.
" What me Worry" Alfred E. Newman
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:53 PM   #14
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
My clutch is extremely stiff and there is no point where you can feel it starts to engage.
But it is not slipping at all.
Once I borrowed 10 years old Skoda Fabia (with original clutch) and I was amazed how incredibly light and precise the clutch was. It was enjoyable driving.
I have heard that the throwout bearing might be the culprit here. As it does not make sense to replace only the bearing (160,000km/100,000 miles) it would mean also pressure plate and flywheel replacement.
It costs 440 USD all inclusive. I am really not sure if this makes sense for 2500 USD car. Unfortunately, no chance for me to do it myself (I can replace suspension and everything but this job seems like too much).
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #15
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Low or no engagement position and chatter both indicate possibility of air in the system.
A first step might be basic bleeding of the clutch cylinder.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, problem, questionable