Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
Just started to CF my own parts.....

I build Mini Matrix's for the people on Matrixowners.com to look like their own cars. I just recently purchased a roll of CF mat and a crap load of resin. Since I have a Mini-junkyard in my closet I decided to practice on some 1/18th parts first. Here is my first shot at it:

I'm doing a gas door for a Matrix soon so I will post pics of what that looks like.

If you have some smaller not so complicated parts that you would like CF wrapped I can do it for you for a reasonable price :)
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
looks nice.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
KwonSau

Drives: 2007 LB Meteorite Metallic
Looks good! I did a ton of carbon work on my university's racecar, and here are some things I wish someone would have told me ahead of time. I hope someone finds this helpful:

- you can usually get much better fabric saturation if you pull the resin THROUGH the weave, rather than slathering the resin on top of it.
- For flat pieces, lay them up on a piece of waxed (don't skimp on the wax!) glass
- after the intitial layup, you can apply another thin layer of resin to fill in the unavoidable pits (be sure to sand first)
- For the showroom finish, sand surface prefectly smooth (resin is very hard to sand) and clear and buff the final surface, just as you would any other painted accesory or body component.

Great work, though! I'm sure everyone really looks forward to seeing your pics.
KwonSau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Drives: 06 Cobalt SS/SC, 06 Rolla S
Send a message via AIM to Toyotech
looking cool... i had no idea you now owned a yaris. know why i never see your posts in 9gc
Toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Turbo&Auto

I stopped messing with 9th gen. I did a couple jobs for people on there and they were all very impatient and pretty damn rude too.

I work about 10 minutes from where you live, I actually used to live in Oak ridge for a lil bit. I cant remember the road names too well but the road was across from the shopping center on berkshire valley. I think there was only 1 big shopping center in that area LOL!

I just finished up the hood and CF hatch, I will post some pics later.

Thanks for the tips Kwon, some I know some were new news :) What do you mean pull the resin thru the weave though?

I'm going to CF the engine cover on the Yaris tonight, wish me luck.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
sorry ot but wow i had no idea that there is so many members from 9thgen in the yarisworld forums. that pretty cool

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Drives: 06 Cobalt SS/SC, 06 Rolla S
Send a message via AIM to Toyotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
sorry ot but wow i had no idea that there is so many members from 9thgen in the yarisworld forums. that pretty cool

yep, well being the server never works some of us have another way to sidetrack our addiction:)

Turbo&Auto, i live right on berkshire valley Rd. lol... that would explain the level ten transmission
Toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotech View Post
yep, well being the server never works some of us have another way to sidetrack our addiction:)

Turbo&Auto, i live right on berkshire valley Rd. lol... that would explain the level ten transmission
Nice to see another Jersey member here.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Turbo&Auto

Nice. There's a big Pittsburgh meet coming up on Matrixowners. Some of the guys have bought Yaris', or Rav4's and are still coming. You guys are welcome to come out and join us. There was a whole mess of people last year, should be the same this year. Guys drive down from Canada and up from Kentucky :)