Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #19
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I am no master technician of anything but I have lowered a butt load of trucks and have friends in various car clubs that say you need to cut the bump stops the same distance that you lowered it. If you lowered it 2 inches cut 2 inches if you can. Sorry El Jefe, but even Toyota couldnt tell me half the stuff that I have read on here. NOT saying this about you, but all the Toyota dealer I got my Yaris from knows how to do is read a manual for sopmething they have no idea what they are talking about.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:11 PM   #20
jeff_o

Drives: 07 Yaris
Send a message via ICQ to jeff_o Send a message via MSN to jeff_o Send a message via Yahoo to jeff_o
hi guys, i'm just about to buy my first car... which is most likely to be an 07 yaris sedan. i've been doing some slights mods in my previous car but i'm from another country... so i'm not sure if US practice do this as well:

wehn you want to lower your car, some shops offer to just clamp your stock springs by 1inch just to give the car a lil bit of lowness. do you guys do this here as well?
jeff_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #21
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_o
hi guys, i'm just about to buy my first car... which is most likely to be an 07 yaris sedan. i've been doing some slights mods in my previous car but i'm from another country... so i'm not sure if US practice do this as well:

wehn you want to lower your car, some shops offer to just clamp your stock springs by 1inch just to give the car a lil bit of lowness. do you guys do this here as well?
it has definetly been done, but as to if it is safe, or going to give desirable ersults...well, just imagin, on a brand new car, why not spring for a sent of proper lowering springs? :)

but yes, it has and is being done here...

edit: hopefully not to any yaris though ;)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #22
jeff_o

Drives: 07 Yaris
Send a message via ICQ to jeff_o Send a message via MSN to jeff_o Send a message via Yahoo to jeff_o
johnny five. thanks for replying... but lowering springs tend to be stiffer than stock springs... i'd like to have a lowered spring that rides as comftable as a stock spring. i dunno if there is such a thing that exist though :D + i don't want to be shelling out money for another set of springs :(
jeff_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #23
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
To Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I got my car lowered with Pedders Sports Ryders and the ride is actually as supple and smooth as stock, perhaps even more so. Handling is also improved slightly, and the stock shocks don't seem underdamped with these springs.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:28 PM   #24
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris
I am no master technician of anything but I have lowered a butt load of trucks and have friends in various car clubs that say you need to cut the bump stops the same distance that you lowered it. If you lowered it 2 inches cut 2 inches if you can. Sorry El Jefe, but even Toyota couldnt tell me half the stuff that I have read on here. NOT saying this about you, but all the Toyota dealer I got my Yaris from knows how to do is read a manual for sopmething they have no idea what they are talking about.
i've lowered a SHIT LOAD of car, trucks, bikes..whatever i get my hands on, and all im trying to say is it's not the end of the world if you don't cut the bumps on a 1.5" drop, and from personal experience on the EXACT subject i know this.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:07 AM   #25
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Drives: Yaris S Sedan w/ Aero Package!
Hey thanks all to the input. Especially Chris and Jefe...didn't mean to cause probs between you guys...but i value both your input since you're both experts....thanks for the advice. Now that i know what to look for i will see if i can feel what you described when hitting bumps and if i do i will get the bump stops cut a bit. Hmm...as promised here are my pics...hopefully they show up....heh heh notice the Toyota TRD badges... heh heh totally rice...but i like it hahaha...it will be TRD soon...TRD as in Tanabe Racing Development! HEH....

Terrorize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #26
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe
i've lowered a SHIT LOAD of car, trucks, bikes..whatever i get my hands on, and all im trying to say is it's not the end of the world if you don't cut the bumps on a 1.5" drop, and from personal experience on the EXACT subject i know this.
I don't know if you can call 2 cars a lot but I'd rather leave the bump stops as it is. It's there for a reason. Last thing I need is to replace the shocks coz it's bottomed out and f'ed up the shocks even if shocks are cheap. Then again, roads here are shite and you have to pick your lanes with the least amount of bumps and lumps. All part of the fun of driving a lowered car. If you bottom out, then you're not driving on the right roads or your car is too low.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:58 AM   #27
esquiva
Noypi ako!

Drives: 07 S Sedan 5-Speed M/T
there's really no need to cut the bump stops for the NFs...for springs w/ more drop like the DFs, its recommended that u cut them

Nene jr.: tay, peram naman ng kotse o...
Boy Bastos: sige pero isang kondisyon. mag-ano muna tayo.
Nene jr.: tay meron ako ngayon e. blowjob na lang kita.
Boy bastos: o sige.
pagkatapos ng blowjob...
Nene jr.: tay, bat lasang tae yung etits nyo?
Boy bastos: ah ganon ba? hiniram kasi ng kuya
mo kanina yung kotse e!
esquiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #28
FoEKuZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to FoEKuZ
i got the df's on..cut the bump stop....and havent bottom out, or hit any curbs yet....
FoEKuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:24 AM   #29
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_o
johnny five. thanks for replying... but lowering springs tend to be stiffer than stock springs... i'd like to have a lowered spring that rides as comftable as a stock spring. i dunno if there is such a thing that exist though :D + i don't want to be shelling out money for another set of springs :(
YES! Absolutely, the Tanabe NF's are more designed for comfort, from what I've heard, they don't hurt the ride at all, Tein H-Techs are designed for the same thing and I understand a Yaris application will be out soon. The other brand I've had good luck with is H&R, the H&R Sport springs lowered my I30 just enough to eliminate the wheel gap and take the floatiness out of hard corners and still give the ride comfort I expected, I don't beleive H&R has, as of yet, announced a product release for the Yaris.

And on another note, although many have not experienced any problems by not cutting the bumpstops, I can't believe that Tanabe would suggest this for no reason at all. The remaining bumpstop after cut should be plenty to keep the strut from bottoming out, where as, not cutting it may, on bad roads, cause the bumpstop to be struck which not only feels VERY uncomfortable, but can cause damage to your suspension if it happens enough, due to the jarring shock, and not letting the strut complete its travel cycle. There are probably valid reasons for cutting them, and probably valid reasons for not cutting them as well, it may be dependent on the quality of your local roads. Rather than resorting to personal attacks, maybe we should just post our reasons for our view, and let the buyers and car owners decide.

Last edited by paultyler_82; 09-28-2006 at 06:50 AM.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #30
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82

And on another note, although many have not experienced any problems by not cutting the bumpstops, I can't believe that Tanabe would suggest this for no reason at all. The remaining bumpstop after cut should be plenty to keep the strut from bottoming out, where as, not cutting it may, on bad roads, cause the bumpstop to be struck which not only feels VERY uncomfortable, but can cause damage to your suspension if it happens enough, due to the jarring shock, and not letting the strut complete its travel cycle. There are probably valid reasons for cutting them, and probably valid reasons for not cutting them as well, it may be dependent on the quality of your local roads. Rather than resorting to personal attacks, maybe we should just post our reasons for our view, and let the buyers and car owners decide.
When you have suggested/shared/written a how to explaining, etc... only to hear shit from the people that dont agree, it tends to get under your skin a little.. Maybe thats why my reply may have sounded harsh?

Jeff being the "master tech" he says he is, I respect his "opinion" but I will put my money on the advice of the company that DESIGNED the system first. If they say to cut them, then a cuttin' I will go. Yes, maybe it's not such a huge deal when lowering a car an inch or so, but when dealing with the DF210's, that put me over 2" lower, its needed. Period.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #31
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
When you have suggested/shared/written a how to explaining, etc... only to hear shit from the people that dont agree, it tends to get under your skin a little.. Maybe thats why my reply may have sounded harsh?
Don't worry, Chris, I wasn't directing that at you, well... not JUST you anyway
Old 09-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #32
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I'am really really lost please update me on Tanable what is it? whats NF BF or whatever u call it. I'am not from the US so pardon my ignorance but I'am looking for options for my yaris and here where I live theres kinda.. none!!

Thanks in advance
Old 09-29-2006, 07:45 AM   #33
paultyler_82

Tanabe is a manufacturer that makes aftermarket suspension components, the NF series of springs are lowering springs that are tuned for comfort, they lower the ride height and improve handling without sacrificing comfort.