Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
grayb

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan
Getting back in shape - '07 Yaris at 145k

Hey, I just recently discovered this forum and the vast amount of Yaris information it contains. Very happy to be here.

My '07 Yaris sedan now has 145k miles on it. My 'maintenance schedule' has been simply oil and oil filter changes every 3-5k miles

I just recently paid her off, and I've taken an interest in getting her back into like new shape. I got a bluetooth OBDII reader, and found an app for my phone to read the codes. It had quite a few on there so I cleared them to see which would reappear. My check engine light had just recently come on, and at that time an AutoZone employee told me it was from a fuel tank pressure leak, so I let it slide.

Just recently I changed the spark plugs. It was my first time doing that and was enjoyable. I like to tinker by nature, but have always been into electronics and computers rather than cars. I noticed quite a difference after that. At least it seems there was much more pep to its step.

I plan on changing the air filter and addressing whichever of those fault codes come back. I was wondering if there's anything else I should look into seeing as I've probably neglected quite a bit in the last 100k. Things I can do myself preferably, but if I'm missing something big let me know.

Thanks.
grayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayb View Post
Hey, I just recently discovered this forum and the vast amount of Yaris information it contains. Very happy to be here.

My '07 Yaris sedan now has 145k miles on it. My 'maintenance schedule' has been simply oil and oil filter changes every 3-5k miles

I just recently paid her off, and I've taken an interest in getting her back into like new shape. I got a bluetooth OBDII reader, and found an app for my phone to read the codes. It had quite a few on there so I cleared them to see which would reappear. My check engine light had just recently come on, and at that time an AutoZone employee told me it was from a fuel tank pressure leak, so I let it slide.

Just recently I changed the spark plugs. It was my first time doing that and was enjoyable. I like to tinker by nature, but have always been into electronics and computers rather than cars. I noticed quite a difference after that. At least it seems there was much more pep to its step.

I plan on changing the air filter and addressing whichever of those fault codes come back. I was wondering if there's anything else I should look into seeing as I've probably neglected quite a bit in the last 100k. Things I can do myself preferably, but if I'm missing something big let me know.

Thanks.
I wouldn't be worried re neglect. I have been less diligent than you have been (for me - 15 oil changes in 251k miles, didn't change the spark plugs until 207k+, have only changed the air filter twice in 251k) and have only had 2 items that weren't regular maintenance (regular=tires, oil, oil and air filter, battery, etc) that I had to replace and those were the front wheel bearings at 110k and the alternator at 159k.

Re the future, try to keep corrosion off the battery terminals and keep an eye on the underside of the hood for coolant that has landed up there (some people experience water pump failure and the above is a sign that the water pump is 'weeping' and has splattered on the underside of the hood.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
1.Lightweight pulley.
2.Micro Image intake manifold.
3. Corolla 1zz throttle body ( though i heard it's risky, idle issues).
4.After market air intake kit.
5.Lowering springs and shock upgrade.
6. Rear anti sway bar.
7. Extractors and high flow exhaust.

junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote