Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #1
User Name

Drives: I am considering a 2011 Yaris
Common 2011 Yaris Problems?

I am considering a 2011 Yaris.

In my research I've found people having issues with the engine and transmission mounts needing to be replaced in the manual version.

Are there any other common issues?
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I am considering a 2011 Yaris.

In my research I've found people having issues with the engine and transmission mounts needing to be replaced in the manual version.

Are there any other common issues?
Research where? There is certainly nothing on here that would indicate engine and tranny mounts are an issue.

With a 2011, there are really no problematic issues to worry about.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
User Name

Drives: I am considering a 2011 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Research where? There is certainly nothing on here that would indicate engine and tranny mounts are an issue.

I called a place that only works on toyotas and asked about the 2011 yaris, I was told the mechanic had seen issues where motor and transmission mounts were bad causing the vehicle to shake.

Using google I found this as well:

http://repairpal.com/vibration-due-t...gine-mount-081

I am not anticipating that issue, but it's about the only one I've been able to find.
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post

I dont know about that. I have a 2011 manual hatch and my engine and tranny mounts are squishy as hell right now and I've only got 100k kms on it. I really wish i could get my hands on some trd mounts but theyre impossible to find :/

Also, some people have reported crappy clutches which mine is also a victim of since the day it rolled off the showroom floor.

But there are no serious issues with these cars. Just small annoyances.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...

Last edited by aspro; 10-05-2015 at 11:16 AM.
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
What about the water pump?

What about the bolts on the underside of the car that rust out?
Old 10-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Forgot about those. Although, i havent encountered those issues personally. And the rusted bolts all depends on where you live.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post

I'm losing track of when those really ceased to be an issue. For 2011 I believe the bolts had been addressed. As far as water pump, the frequency of reported failures on this site seems to lie with <=2009. If someone was posing the same question about a 2008, I'd definitely point those out, along with the voltage regulator. But like I said, I'm getting a little foggy on it.

Last edited by WeeYari; 10-05-2015 at 03:59 PM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post

No issues with the water pump on my '09 in the last 6 years.

Also, no real problems with rusty underside bolts yet either, and I live/drive in an oceanic area. I even leave my car parked for a few days/a week next to the water regularly. A bit of spray paint here and there would be nice but things are still ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
Also, some people have reported crappy clutches which mine is also a victim of since the day it rolled off the showroom floor.
Strangely enough I'm feeling similar symptoms to clutch slippage under heavy acceleration, but can't understand why since i drive an auto.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
Strangely enough I'm feeling similar symptoms to clutch slippage under heavy acceleration, but can't understand why since i drive an auto.
Torque converter slippage, it's relatively normal under heavy load in an auto...just another benefit of going to a stick shift - direct drive :)

to add to this thread, The bolts can be an issue living in the salt belt, but it a very easy preventative fix that can be done every 2 years and take about 20 mins form start to finish.

My water pump went at about 130,000km, it didn't fail per say but it leaked and sprayed o the hood of the car so I changed it just in case if failed mid trip and left me stranded. The water pumps I believe are fixed from year 2009 onwards
Old 10-06-2015, 06:10 AM   #10
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The wp on my 09 went at 25k. Typical red stains on the right bottom of the hood. Not a classic wp failure where you get bearing failure, just a leak I had fixed after 6 months of monitoring since the warranty was due to expire.