Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
solana_sc

Drives: 07 Yaris lb, 03 Beetle Turbo
How to remove the lighter socket?

What's the secret handshake for this? Seems to come out from the front, and looks as if one has to use a mini screwdriver to pop out a black plastic tab or 2 or 3 from inside the socket. Tried that and got nowhere.

How does it come out?

Abjectly,
/w
solana_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
atebit

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
I'd like to know, too. I'd like to actually add another factory-style socket nearby the one provided, if possible.
atebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
it came out real easy when i took the entire center part out...dont remeber exactly how it came out, but it was real easy...and the plastc console come apart really easy also :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
in other cars i've had, it was spring loaded from behind, so you need access from the back of whatever panel its installed in.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:16 AM   #5
YarisKid

Drives: 2007 Bayou Metallic Yaris
You actually got a cigarette lighter?!
YarisKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
solana_sc

well, OK, to be precise, the 12v outlet. How's that? ;)

This is covered in section OT of the shop manual, but unfortunately that seems to be the only section missing from the downloadable version. Whoever uploaded all that, btw, is a hero!

For clarification, what I'm doing is replacing the socket with an illuminated one from an A4 Golf. It's going to house a little VW LED flashlight which auto-recharges while in the socket.

The major defect I've found so far with the Yaris (and with every Toyota & Lexus I've been in at night) is the lack of properly backlit switchgear like what Audi, VW, BMW, and Mercedes use. My cunning plot is to retrofit VW switches--as electrical compatibility allows--for the power windows, mirrors, door locks, etc. (not many switches in our cars, after all). I'm also fitting ambient LEDs into my autodimming mirror, assuming I don't break it while separating the case halves, and into the maplight plate in the headliner. I might as well do the same to the backseat cabin light while I'm at it, but work and house projects keep interfering with the time needed to do this stuff. Also have to finish the cruise control.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by solana_sc View Post
well, OK, to be precise, the 12v outlet. How's that? ;)

This is covered in section OT of the shop manual, but unfortunately that seems to be the only section missing from the downloadable version. Whoever uploaded all that, btw, is a hero!.

curious do you know what that section is called?
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #8
solana_sc

Punch, Sorry, I don't. If anyone has access to TIS info or manuals for other recent Scions & Toyotas, the info is probably in there as well.