Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #19
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Is this thread about annoying little things about our cars?

Lots of interior sqeaks and rattles. I give up trying to locate and silence them.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #20
steved
Yaris Rules!!

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris Liftback a/t
I find the seat belt is too far back when reaching for it ( and my seat is all the way back). And there is no height adjuster for the belt also.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #21
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
maybe it's because i'm short.. but my foot gets really uncomfortable pressin on the gas and brake after like an hour of driving. But if I'm wearing heels, I don't feel pain or cramps at all.. and it doesn't matter if i readjust the seat or not... i wish the steering wheel would move more than up and down so i can be a little bit more comfortable during the long trips.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #22
cactus22minus1
The Chinese Apple

Drives: '07 Yaris LB- Black Sand Pearl
I've noticed some of these little things you guys posted, but another one that may turn into a larger cosmetic issue for my interior is the softness of the light gray plastic found along the doors. Any light tap from the seat belt or my (short) finger nail peels up tiny pieces.

The area around the seatbelt is already looking like a cat scratch post after 4 months, and I'm a super-careful guy... especially when it comes to this car. :)

Don't get me wrong... I'm absolutely in love with this car. All these little things are a small price to pay for the money I'm saving in the long run, and it's a blast to drive around.
cactus22minus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:24 PM   #23
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
oh, I have an annoyance... the blind spots! I thought that this car would be easier to spot traffic in the blind zone left and right than my now retired SUV, but not so! The side mirrors only view directly aft at a narrow angle. So every time I change lanes and stuff, I have to twist my head alot. Been driving it for 3 days, and already had several "oops" situations where I've started to "slide" into the next lane while looking in mirror and then suddenly discovering a car hiding in the blind spot as I turn my head.

Edit: 38MPG city makes up for ANYTHING though! Will see what kind of mpg I get on highway tomorrow.

Kinda wish the Yaris had a sixth gear for highway-driving over 75mph. The engine RPM gets really high approaching 85mph.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #24
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
My only gripes are that there is only the 1 12v plug and it is inconveniently placed so close to the parking brakes, the windshield seems to be very easily scratched, the check engine light comes on like clockwork at 5k intervals, and that not all the instruments are lit when the lights are on. Lastly that I do not have a "Sherryberry" airfresher to put around my rear view

One a side note to Sherry....that sounds kind of odd that things are better for you when driving with heels than without I would just have thought the exact opposite would apply.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #25
tapuleo

Drives: 2007 White Liftback
Here's a goodie I found. My son was asking me about the handle on the back of the rear seat, so I showed him what it was for. I was surprised to find that the back seat has 2 locked-in positions. one being slightly reclined...neat-o.
tapuleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #26
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
Kinda wish the Yaris had a sixth gear for highway-driving over 75mph. The engine RPM gets really high approaching 85mph.

Well yeah, you're going 85mph you silly!! Of course the RPM's are going to be high. Also remember the kind of engine it is and its not meant to be driving that fast too long but I still can see what you're saying, not knocking you...but its like complaining how a economy car doesn't handle like a Porshe at 90mph...I don't have a Yaris but I do have the same engine (although slightly different but the same) and I do have my music on usually so I guess I don't hear the high RPM's.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #27
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Got mine at Advance Auto Parts, and it s a purolator brand, but they do not fit perfectly, but I think that is as close as your gonna get. I had an old thread about this once . I did notice something in the manual that said it needed one for the air conditioner to work properly or something like that. In this case I would go to the dealership and complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
My two cents: I was seriously surprised and annoyed when I found out that none of the American-released Yarii have a cabin filter, just an empty holder. My dealership insists none can be retrofitted; however, thanks to Yarisworld, I got a Bosch at Autozone for $15.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #28
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
My two cents: I was seriously surprised and annoyed when I found out that none of the American-released Yarii have a cabin filter, just an empty holder. My dealership insists none can be retrofitted; however, thanks to Yarisworld, I got a Bosch at Autozone for $15.
True, the Yaris/Vitz does not come with a factory A/C filter. This disappointed me as well.

The reason for this omission though is rather simple. Because of the tight position of the blower unit behind the glovebox, the OEM filter frame cannot fit. So, Toyota decided with no frame, there can be no filter.

But like you, what many of us have done is install a filter without the frame... which seems to work well enough.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #29
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I'm not convinced about the engine revving too high: specs say the torque peak is at 4200rpm, power at 6000. My experience with Toyotas has been that you can kill any part of a Toyota except the engine; I am depending on that experience!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #30
sherryberry

Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
My only gripes are that there is only the 1 12v plug and it is inconveniently placed so close to the parking brakes, the windshield seems to be very easily scratched, the check engine light comes on like clockwork at 5k intervals, and that not all the instruments are lit when the lights are on. Lastly that I do not have a "Sherryberry" airfresher to put around my rear view

One a side note to Sherry....that sounds kind of odd that things are better for you when driving with heels than without I would just have thought the exact opposite would apply.
hehehe to the air freshner thing.

Anyway, yeah.. I think the reason heels work better for me is because the steering wheel is at such an odd angle that I have to move my seat back a lil' more than usual so it doesn't feel like the steering wheel is cramped into me but then now, the steering wheel is kinda a stretch and my feet hits the pedals but lik yeah.. i guess a little bit of a stretch. I'm only 5'3" after all

Old 08-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #31
sherryberry

wow and I didn't know we didn't have a A/C filter.. weird.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #32
steved
Yaris Rules!!

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris Liftback a/t
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
oh, I have an annoyance... the blind spots! I thought that this car would be easier to spot traffic in the blind zone left and right than my now retired SUV, but not so! The side mirrors only view directly aft at a narrow angle. So every time I change lanes and stuff, I have to twist my head alot. Been driving it for 3 days, and already had several "oops" situations where I've started to "slide" into the next lane while looking in mirror and then suddenly discovering a car hiding in the blind spot as I turn my head.

Edit: 38MPG city makes up for ANYTHING though! Will see what kind of mpg I get on highway tomorrow.

I hate those blind spots too! I bought those small blind spot mirrors to solve that problem.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #33
TLyttle

For some reason, the driving position reminds me of my old kart, ca 1958, and I am very comfortable...

The whole car is very reminiscent of my old Morris: quick handling, great economy, just plain fun. Sure wish they built this thing in a convertible!!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #34
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
The whole car is very reminiscent of my old Morris: quick handling, great economy, just plain fun. Sure wish they built this thing in a convertible!!
With a sawzall and little patchwork, anything is possible
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #35
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
Things I've learned..

- The EPS steering is nearly rediculously touchy. While it makes for quick turns, it lacks a little in feed back. Not to mention, if you aren't paying attention the car will stray right or left quickly. I'm just use to Honda's I suppose.

- Something under the car rattles sometimes at idle. I haven't taken the time to find out what it is yet.

I'm sure there is more, but most have been touched on already. I have the same problem with foot comfort as well. It seems that the gas pedal angle is a bit steep, which makes finding a comfortable position tricky.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #36
TLyttle

Hmmm... I think I would have the front end doublechecked; our Yaris tracks arrow-straight. I agree with you about no road feel, but apparently that is how cars must behave nowadays. Even with power steering, my Volvo tells me everything I want to know. It could be the difference between FWD and RWD; anyone ever drive an old Renault FWD? Torque lock would remove any chance of steering under full throttle!!

AS far as the Sawzall is concerned, I would consider it, but my wife would literally kill me...