Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
HDS

Drives: 2007 Yaris, 1991 Trans Am GTA
How to empty the tank on a Yaris!

Help! I just come from the gas station, I started filling the car up as usual and after 10 liters (maybe 2-3 gallons) I noticed I was holding the gas line and not the diesel! I stopped at once and pushed the car into a parking space and went home. Fortunately I live only a kilometer or so away (maybe half a mile).

Now what should I do? I need to get the fuel out, I've heard some gas tanks might have a plug on the bottom for this, does the Yaris do this? Or will I have to pump it out?

How important is it to get all the gas away, I mean if I get most of it and there's like 1 liter out of 40 that is gasoline, is that still too much?

God d***it don't think about other stuff when you are filling up people.
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
my recommendation, go to the dealer/a shop, tell them a sob story, hope they have some mercy on the prices... at least you did NOT try to run it with the fuel mixed... smart choice... also, you should probably start looking for a tow truck company to get it to the place you decide on...

not trying to seem rude, but there are some times that having a warranty on the work are extremely beneficial... if, for example, they do not get enough of the fuel out, and your fuel system dies, then being able to say that they fixed it would get the buggered system fixed...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
HDS

Well there is a service station in the same yard that could drain the tank.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Buy a siphon hose for a couple $ and get as much out as you can. Some cars have a flap that prevents you from using one. In that case you might have to drop the gas tank.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
you said you were holding the gas line, thats the one you want, unless you have a diesel yaris.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
you said you were holding the gas line, thats the one you want, unless you have a diesel yaris.
Yeah I have a diesel yaris, it's my first diesel and all! I'm used to going for the gas.

I talked to the guy in the service station and he can do it tomorrow, he estimates it'll run me 90 bucks.

I was looking under the car for a drain plug or something, it would have been very usefull to have, just drain the tank from underneath.

It's been a pretty shitty week, some bastards smashed the windshield of my Yaris too so it has a huuge crack in the middle, it'll need it's windshield replaced, thank god for a good insurance... :( I'm awaiting the insurance inspector tonight and all.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I don't think that there it is a drain plug in the Yaris. I probably would have someone drop the gas tank. As to how much gas per diesel is safe call a local diesel mechanic.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Up to 10% gas in diesel fuel has been recommended in winter to keep wax from precipitating and clogging the fuel filter. That came from the owner's manual of my Dad's 1983 Diesel Chevette (Isuzu powered) as an alternative for winter fueling when the recommended #1 Diesel fuel (which is ordinary kerosene) was unavailable.

Gasoline will effectively decrease the cetane number of your fuel and make the engine knock more. (Diesel knocking is a consequence of delayed ignition after the fuel's vaporized and mixed. High octane doesn't help that, it makes it worse.) That, and reduced lubricity of the fuel in the pump and injectors are what limit the use of gasoline in most Diesels. You might be interested to know, though, that gasoline is the original fuel that Dr. Diesel used in his first test engines in the 1890s.

It's not hard to stick a hose down in the tank and pump or siphon the fuel out.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Up to 10% gas in diesel fuel has been recommended in winter to keep wax from precipitating and clogging the fuel filter. That came from the owner's manual of my Dad's 1983 Diesel Chevette (Isuzu powered) as an alternative for winter fueling when the recommended #1 Diesel fuel (which is ordinary kerosene) was unavailable.

Gasoline will effectively decrease the cetane number of your fuel and make the engine knock more. (Diesel knocking is a consequence of delayed ignition after the fuel's vaporized and mixed. High octane doesn't help that, it makes it worse.) That, and reduced lubricity of the fuel in the pump and injectors are what limit the use of gasoline in most Diesels. You might be interested to know, though, that gasoline is the original fuel that Dr. Diesel used in his first test engines in the 1890s.

It's not hard to stick a hose down in the tank and pump or siphon the fuel out.
Until you come across those with plastic balls and wire mesh blocking the tank inlet.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Have you come across those on a Yaris?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Have you come across those on a Yaris?

Since you mentioned diesel Chevettes and 19th century engines I just figured we're not being Yaris specific at the moment. Sorry. No, never dropped a Yaris tank, but filler tube is very small and goes nearly straight down with a few other fairly tight bends, so a ball and/or screen might not even be required.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

At any rate, I don't think total emptying of the tank is necessary. If it were mine, I'd fill it up to the cap with diesel and drive off with a cautious light foot on the throttle, but I wouldn't think of telling the original poster to try anything like that.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
1stToyota

It's all good, I guess? BTW, I don't remember telling the OP anything...I was simply stating that devices probably aren't needed because of the small filler tubing and tight bends on our Yaris.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #14
HDS

Well the shop drained the tank and put in 20 liters of diesel for me so all is well I suppose. Got an appointment for next week to get a new windshield.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Yep, all fixed. Watch those hoses! I've done the opposite with diesel in gasoline. That's a real mess, the exhaust smokes and stinks and the engine pings easily when there's only something like 2-3% diesel left in the tank.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #16
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
there should be a drain plug somewhere to drain the gas. yaris might not but its worth a look

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #17
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
there should be a drain plug somewhere to drain the gas. yaris might not but its worth a look
Hopefully it doesn't.....
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #18
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I know the work has been done, but…

Why not pop a fuel line and run the fuel pump. Once it’s empty you would have to prime it and then it should be ready to run. I have no idea on where there is a spot to split the fuel line but with a diesel I would think you could take off the fuel water separator and run it all out through it.