Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #19
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
My $.02: my car sits in the garage which gets quite warm because of the water heater and lack of ventilation. Whenever I start the car I move it out of the garage right away (okay maybe it takes me 5 seconds to shift into reverse and start moving) because I wouldn't want to die from CO poisoning in the garage.

Having said that, I would say waiting 30 seconds, alright, but a few minutes? No way.

As the first article from my previous post shows, warming the engine for a few minutes does more harm than good, so obviously, it shouldn't be done.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:32 AM   #20
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
What is so special about a "modern engine" that it no longer needs any sort of warm up, even for a minute?
Some modern engine's parts are still designed to fit together properly only when the engine is at full operating temp,.
The only thing that is different with today's engines in they have modern electronic control for fuel injection , etc . This makes an engine run good even when very cold giving some a false sense of security when starting off.
Since you ask. It does need a warm up but the "warm up" is driving it normally until the engine reaches operating temperature. Idling away in the driveway is a thing of the past, just like leaded gasoline. There was a need for lead in the gas as lubrication was an issue in older engines. Lubrication was one of many issues.

With Modern engines the materials, material quality, component design, manufacturing tolerances, surface finishes of components as well as the technology in methods of manufacturing the above have improved over the last 35 years (to use your '76 MG for example). Add to that the addition of emission control components and it all adds up to a different method for how to treat your cars engine and emission controls.

"Driving normally" for the first few minutes is the new "sit in the driveway and idle". BTW, All of the cars I've bought within the last 10 years have recommended this.

Waiting a minute or two isn't going to hurt anything, I never claimed it would, and by all means do it if that's what makes you happy. But it isn't saving your engine and it isn't necessary unless you plan on leaving your driveway like an F-1 driver.

To go to extremes, there are quite a few differences between these two engines besides a few computers and fuel injection (and 100 years).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa.jpg (23.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg bb.jpg (29.5 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Stove; 07-23-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #21
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
First you have to define "normally"

A bit of clearification on my position.
I concede that a long warm up is not nessary.
What I am against is starting the engine and "taking off" imediately. I'm just saying let it warm up for a short bit, 30-60 seconds or so depending on the temp.

I do think its time to bury this horse.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
yarissedan07

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
My car will not shift into 4th

OK,
My car will not shift into 4th upon a cool start!! It's fine once warmed up but I don't have time to wait around, I'm busy. I have had my car 4 years since it was a baby. Only 2 miles when I bought it. Now I Have 59,000 miles. It just started doing this recently???? They told me this is how the car was designed ,but it just started recently!!! I'm not buying this explanation. I wouldn't have bought the car if it did this!!!! Anyone else notice this over time??
yarissedan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #23
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarissedan07 View Post
OK,
My car will not shift into 4th upon a cool start!! It's fine once warmed up but I don't have time to wait around, I'm busy. I have had my car 4 years since it was a baby. Only 2 miles when I bought it. Now I Have 59,000 miles. It just started doing this recently???? They told me this is how the car was designed ,but it just started recently!!! I'm not buying this explanation. I wouldn't have bought the car if it did this!!!! Anyone else notice this over time??
Might have something to do with the lower than average temperatures that the country's been experiencing this winter, ya know?

But, I wouldn't get to worried about it, and don't think it's a reason to regret buying the car IMO. It's just doing what it's designed to do. I'm pretty sure if you check your manual, it spells out what happens with the car and what you are supposed to do when the low temp light is on.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #24
markweatherill

Drives: Toyota Will Vi
I've noticed that the transmission will not change into top gear until the 'cold engine' light has gone out.
In the recent very cold spell, it would wait for much longer, even after the light had gone out. Looking at the transmission fluid temperature, that was taking much longer to warm up than in warmer weather.

I believe the 4th gear lockout is tied to the transmission fluid temperature and not directly to the 'cold engine' light.
That is, it will change into 4th gear once both the engine is warm, and the transmission is also warm. If either are not warmed up enough, it'll lock out 4th gear.

The best way to warm any car up is to drive it. As stated, most engine wear happens at start up. But it isn't (as the informercials would have us believe) due to lack of oil. It's the water and acid condensates from a cold engine that are the culprits. Think about this: idling a cold engine takes longer to warm it up than simply driving the car. In that period the engine is exposed to more harmful condensates, blow-by, etc etc. than if you just got in it and drove.
markweatherill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #25
markitect

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarissedan07 View Post
OK,
My guess is this is the first time your car has actually been cold. This is normal operation. Mine does this every day in the winter. And you can go 80 in 3rd gear, so I think you'll be ok driving around.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #26
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
The Yaris warms up faster than any other car that I have owned.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #27
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
So... according to that article (Should I let my car warm up each morning), repeated idle warm-up can plug/clog/fuck up the catalytic converter, causing a drop in MPG over time.

I have a slight drop in MPG after four winter seasons with the Yaris; I usually just start up and drive away, but on days with snow, ice or rime covering the windows, I start it up, turn the heater to max, and let the engine idle while I clear the windows of winter juice.

So my question will be: is there a simple way to clean out such gunk from the catalytic converter? Like pouring a bottle of some slime down the gas tank?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote