Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2006, 07:06 PM   #19
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82
Anyone who is more interested in retrofitting projectors into their housings for whatever reason (looks... availiability of bi-xenon) should check out Hidplanet's forums, plenty of people over there retrofitting HID into about anything you can imagine. As for your HID's Chris, they're looking good, I'm amazed at the beam pattern considering these are Halogen reflectors.. did you upgrade your harness though? I really would recomend it, granted HID ballasts only pull 35W running, they surge up at fire-up and I've seen a few toasted harnesses with longtime users of HID conversions that didn't upgrade their harnesses.
yeah, i'm no electrician but this was the same explanation given to me about HID ballasts, since they pull more current especially on start up(am I correct?).
I have used MANY many HID bulbs of MANY varieties other than Xenon, and the ballast was always the PITA. Though, i would have to say that it could be BECAUSE OF CHEAP, GENERIC BALLASTS. If you get good ballasts, they shouldn't hurt anything. that's why I run Phillips ballasts that are OEM LEXUS. but, the first few years of "HID retrofitting" saw hundreds of cheap, no-name companies building these Ballast boxes for next-to-nothing and this COULD BE WHY there was such a problem with wiring harness melting back-in-the-day.

The ignitor in HID ballasts can wreak havoc on your fuses and wiring harness, but I can't say that this problem hasn't been addressed...i really haven't heard any horror stories about melted wiring harnesses in the last few years.

HIDPlanet rox. Good info.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:55 PM   #20
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
you have a website to buy the hid kit?
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #21
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxyG3nE
you have a website to buy the hid kit?
If you are talking about the one in my car, contact me direct.

chris03hd@comcast.net
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #22
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
TRD Yaris, glad you're enjoying the info over at HIDPlanet, I would agree that toasted harnesses are sort of rare nowadays, but I've seen enough of them, and I know harnesses are a PITA to deal with, so... I'm going to subscribe to the better-safe-than-sorry camp on this one, you can even make your own harness on the cheap and a premade, decent harness would only set you back about 50-60 dollars, think of it as insurance.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #23
Centurion2200

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 07
Send a message via MSN to Centurion2200
Hi, Im new here :)

One thing to say....HID is the way to go.......

All xenon bulbs.....(Piaa, siverstars, etc etc) try to SIMULATE the effect of an HID system.....

buy the real thing.....a little more expensive....but really worth it!

I just bought a '07 5 door hatchback an i put in there some 6000k bulbs....not at blue as the 8000k kit...but a lot brighter.... i'll post some pics tomorrow...

im really HAPPY with my HIDs :D
Centurion2200 is offline   Reply With Quote