Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Closest to a HID kit?

Anyone know what replacment lights out there are the closest to HID lights without actually being a HID?

I'm looking for some for my '07 US LB.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
HIR bulbs are the closest standard Halogens to a HID, but I don't beleive there is a suitable HIR bulb for a H4 (9003) conversion...
You might try Sylvania Xtravisions, Osram (not Sylvania) Silverstar, GE Nighthawks, Phillips Vision Plus, or Narva Rangepower

Last edited by paultyler_82; 09-22-2006 at 07:01 AM.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
IsLNdbOi

Can you link some HIR type lights? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
If you like a slightly purplish look, you can try the PIAA Super Plasma GT-X.

Not mine:

They are much brighter than stock. I got mine here: http://www.velocityfactor.com/Script...?idproduct=654
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
IsLNdbOi

That looks pretty nice. Anyone have pics. of Osram Silverstars or Sylvania XtraVisions in action?

Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 09-23-2006 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
with the osram, or sylvania the stock harness will be more than enough

ill go take a shot of my osrams right now, post it up in a few :)

edit: ehh no pictures due to insuficient digital camera, which provided only a superwashed out white blob...but they are nice bulbs, driving on the freeway i can see that my lights outreach the lights of the cars driving infront of me at times :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:49 PM   #7
IsLNdbOi

So which ones do you have johnny, the Osram Silverstars or Sylvania XtraVisions?

To everyone else that has them as well, which is better the Osram Silverstars or Sylvania XtraVisions?
Old 09-23-2006, 04:00 AM   #8
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
So which ones do you have johnny, the Osram Silverstars or Sylvania XtraVisions?

To everyone else that has them as well, which is better the Osram Silverstars or Sylvania XtraVisions?
The Sylvania XtraVisions are the true US Equivalent of the Osram Silverstars, I believe... the Sylvania XtraVision, Sylvania Silverstar, and Osram Silverstars seem to all have the exact same specs, however the USDM Sylvania Silverstars have that nasty blue/purple glass that is actually cutting output because it's filtering part of the visible light output. The trick is that the bulbs have a slightly different filament and gas mix which allows them to "drive" a bit harder on the same wattage as a stock bulb, the only downside is that all three of these bulbs suffer from a slightly shorter lifespan than a standard Sylvania or Philips bulb, the US Sylvania Silverstars suffer from quality problems on certain types of bulbs as well, the Sylvania Silverstar H4's seem to be plagued by loose filament problems, or so the complaints I've heard would seem to indicate. I've had both Osrams and XtraVisions, and I've loved both, so you'll probably be happy no matter what, just that the XtraVisions can be found at your local auto parts store and Wal Mart, whereas the Osrams aren't sold in any US Store, you'll have to get them online.

I really wish there was a H4 (9003) convertable HIR bulb, as these things put out some great light, for those who aren't familiar, HIR is a Halogen Infared bulb. They are standard Halogens, but they look similar to a HID Capsule. The bulb has a coating that lets the visible light through but reflects the IR light back inward to "overdrive" the filament and gas for above conventional output.

Last edited by paultyler_82; 09-23-2006 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:24 AM   #9
IsLNdbOi

Just got back from Wal-Mart. Wow, if the XtraVisions are so good, why does their packaging look so plain / ugly. :p

The packaging for the Silverstars is very nice, not that the packaging makes a better light.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:43 AM   #10
paultyler_82

Because Sylvania doesn't try to market them as a "Hi-Performance" bulb like they do those Silverstars (like I said, the US units are those purple/blue bulbs that actually cut output of true visible light due to the light filter.) The Osram Silverstars are in relatively plain packaging as well, and aren't as overpriced as those beautifully packaged substandard US Silverstars.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:15 AM   #11
IsLNdbOi

Just went to Sylvania's site. They have SilverStar and SilverStar Ultra. I've never seen the Ultras in store before.

They also have their own brand of HIDs called "Xenarc".
Old 09-23-2006, 05:27 AM   #12
IsLNdbOi

Ok, I think I'm gonna go w/ Violin's PIAA's. Now I just need to decide whether I want the:

PIAA H4 Super Plasma GT-X
http://www.velocityfactor.com/Script...?idproduct=654

or

PIAA H4 Xtreme White Plus
http://www.velocityfactor.com/Script...?idproduct=617

Would I need upgraded / heavier duty harnesses if I used either of these two PIAA models?
Old 09-23-2006, 04:11 PM   #13
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
If you like a slightly purplish look, you can try the PIAA Super Plasma GT-X.

Not mine:

They are much brighter than stock. I got mine here: http://www.velocityfactor.com/Script...?idproduct=654

IF thats a marketing pic, then that would be a definite false advertising. Infinit's have H.I.D. on upper models but by looking at that pic that is DEFINATELY HID to make sales on a bulb thats non HID to claim it is. Trust me on that one bud. Purplish look is the LOWEST output in H.I.D. People, I must inform you to just stick with 4300 K. The majority are misinformed about the color of HID so please take a safety precaution for your self as well as other drivers to just stick with 4300 K and not pick dandy over the rainbow colors.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #14
IsLNdbOi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam07yaris
IF thats a marketing pic, then that would be a definite false advertising. Infinit's have H.I.D. on upper models but by looking at that pic that is DEFINATELY HID to make sales on a bulb thats non HID to claim it is. Trust me on that one bud. Purplish look is the LOWEST output in H.I.D. People, I must inform you to just stick with 4300 K. The majority are misinformed about the color of HID so please take a safety precaution for your self as well as other drivers to just stick with 4300 K and not pick dandy over the rainbow colors.

I've seen people's pics. on other forums of their PIAA Super Plasma GT-X's and they look just like the ones in the pic. Violin posted.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #15
paultyler_82

I've had PIAA bulbs, they're okay, but mostly just overpriced junk.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:53 PM   #16
IsLNdbOi

Hmmm... What to do now.

I hate the stock headlights, but can't afford Chris07LB's high/low beam HID kit. What's the best option for me then? Osram SilverStars?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:26 PM   #17
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
Hmmm... What to do now.

I hate the stock headlights, but can't afford Chris07LB's high/low beam HID kit. What's the best option for me then? Osram SilverStars?
do what I'm doing; put aside some of your saved gas $$ into a "improvement" fund.

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:05 AM   #18
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82
I've had PIAA bulbs, they're okay, but mostly just overpriced junk.
because?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote