Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2007, 05:06 AM   #1
Garioch
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 1 litre T3
Loose brake discs

Not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but I will ask anyway

I was changing the brake pads on my girlfriends Yaris and was shocked to find that the only thing holding the brake disks to the car was the wheel itself and the pads.

As soon as i released the pads the disc was free to move around.

I am used to working on Landrovers and Rangerovers and there discs are bolted to the hub so there is no movement at all. The same as my Renault Megane.

Is this correct or do I have a very big problem??

regards
Rob
Garioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
that's ok. some cars got the clips to hold down the rotor while assembly, but the yaris does not. do not worry.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
dont think ive ever changed pads / calipers etc without having to (or making it easier by) using a lug to keep the rotor in place on any vehicle. Interesting, any domestics similar to the rover setup?
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz View Post
dont think ive ever changed pads / calipers etc without having to (or making it easier by) using a lug to keep the rotor in place on any vehicle. Interesting, any domestics similar to the rover setup?
my pt cruiser had a metal spring type clip ( 1 on each wheel ) to hold the caliper
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
This is how some cars do it. Your wheels do a great job securing the rotors. BTW- I would only use genuine Toyota brake pads. I learned the hard way. non-genuine pads will most likely squeal and there is nothing you can do about it. Even using liberal amounts of the anti-squeal compound will not help. Also, do yourself a favor and put some anti-seize compund on your lugnuts. It makes them go on and off so much better, and you will never have to worry about breaking off a stud. I have done this on all my cars. Makes rotating tires, etc a dream. http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Anti-S...3279911&sr=8-2
This stuff is great for spark plugs too, just make sure you don't leave gobs, just a thin even coat is best. One jar should last a lifetime, unless you are a full time mechanic.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote