Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
jansen.fan

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2008
Humming noise above 50 km/h. Bearing, CV joint...?

Hi Everyone,

I ran into an issue with my 2008 Yaris hatchback. The vehicle recently has started to make a vibrating noise which becomes more apparent with speed. It seems to be a combination of a low-level rumble and a louder hum which has a much lower frequency (maybe about 1Hz). Both sounds are hardly audible below 50 km/h, but become much more pronounced beyond that and are very obvious around 80 km/h.

What I have tried so far:
- I initially thought the sounds came from the right rear, so I replaced the rear right bearing hub. This did not make a difference
- I installed my winter tires. This did not make a difference.
- I have checked both front bearings for play. None is obvious.
- I tried the vibration tests (spinning the wheel and feeling for vibration in the suspension). I did not notice anything, but I turned it by hand so it may not have been fast enough to be noticeable.
- There was a slight rubbing of both disk brakes at one spot of the rotation (could this be an issue?). I removed the brake pads (and one caliper) to take out this noise and recorded this video: https://youtu.be/9pqYxC9ndJQ. There is a rumbling sound, but it appears when I turn either wheel and it appears to be coming from the passenger side inside CV joint (although locating this sounds is pretty hard). All the boots on the CV joint look good and no obvious signs of fluid leaking/spinning out. The car is an automatic and it was in neutral when the test was conducted. Is this sounds to be expected?

Do any of you have some thoughts on what it could be or what other tests I could conduct? Also, I have planned to go on a road trip for two weeks in a few days. Does this look like an issue that could become an immediate issue or would I be OK if I fixed it afterwards?

Thank you all very much! I have found many valuable answers on this forum on all other issues I've had with the vehicle, but this one has me a little stumped.
jansen.fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Did you check the cv joint boots for rupture? Also state the mileage on the car.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
humming noise repetitive beat? audible frequency period

1 Hz audible?
A couple of us have reported some sort of beat that is like a "room-room-room-room..." noise at higher speeds. Repetition period on the order of a second maybe.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
jansen.fan

Hi Bronsin, thanks for the quick reply!

No ruptures in the CV joint boot. Car has a 130k (80,000 miles) on it. Front disc and pads have been replaced about 30k ago. Regular maintenance has been limited to oil and oil filter changes.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
jansen.fan

Yes, the sounds is like a hum that changes volume at a rate of about 1 Hz (much slower than the rotation speed of the wheels).
Old 07-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
jansen.fan

Hi dogsridewith, that sounds sort of like it. I just did a quick search and could not find a threat about what you reported. Do you remember what the issue ended up being?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
beat beating noise

Remains mystery. I brought up sound waves from multiple sources (ie. 2 front tires) at very nearly the same frequencies going into and out of phase, so the beat being repeats of sound wave reinforcements and cancellations of the tire tread blocks hitting pavement.
Dim memory or imagination brings thought of twin engine propellor aircraft and the beating noise term/phenomena.
I drove some 150 miles yesterday and didn't notice it once. (Wasn't trying to hear it...didn't consider it at all.) But pretty sure I will again. I generaly drive w/ no radio etc. unless in city traffic snarls, etc. Quiet tires (Kumho Solus TA-11 have wide circumferential channels and no lateral channels) let me hear the pavement texture, rather than the tread, which I actually like.

Last edited by dogsridewith; 07-27-2017 at 12:53 PM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Search 'harmonic'

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
jansen.fan

Brought it to a shop and they came to the same conclusion: "Sounds weird, but is likely not an issue".

I did notice some play on the inside passenger side CV joint, but at this point it will have to be watchful waiting and if it does not get worse, accept it as a feature of the Yaris.

Thank you everyone for your help.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:07 PM   #10
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Jack the front up & put it in gear. Run it through the gears to see if you can get the noise to happen. You might have to disable the traction control.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote