Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2019, 01:15 AM   #1
cesturdy

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris sedan
repairing bumper of 2007 yaris sedan

a collision tore the bumper cover and absorber, cracked the passenger side headlamp (which eventually came loose and hit the ground), and cracked the washer reservoir. the bumper and radiator support have what i see as minor dents. this thread i want to address the bumper. other threads i posted refer to the same accident, but address other aspects such as bumper cover or core support. the bumper remains straight, but it was pushed about 2 inches towards the driver's side. this is evident by use of a measuring stick, and looking at the bumper i could see the bolts the bumper is attached to seem to be in their original position, it is just that the bumper under the bolts had moved (part of the holes that the bolts were placed had moved and now you see part of the holes). what should i do as it looks that i may have trouble placing another bumper cover on the car since the bumper is farther than it was originally? ( since this post i realized i made a mistake in the measurements: the bumper had moved 2/4 to 3/4 inches. see my newest post)

Last edited by cesturdy; 08-25-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: to indicate an error i made in the first writing
cesturdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:30 AM   #2
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Without pics it's hard to tell. By bumper are you talking about the metal re-bar behind the bumper cover? About a 4 foot long curved piece of metal.

If I'm reading correctly, that's the piece that's shifted to the side. I would imagine you would need new crumple zones. Those are the 2 pieces that are bolted to the frame rails with 4 bolts each and then the rebar is bolted to them with 3 bolts each side I believe.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
cesturdy

Are the items called 'crumple zones'? I can't find anything under that name. Are you referring to the deflector panels,or the reinforced brackets (rail extensions)? Am I to remove the reinforcer bar (impact bar), remove the old deflector panels or reinforced brackets, install the new ones and then place the reinforcer bar back on? Somewhere i also need to replace the absorber and spoiler.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Yea the parts that bolt on the the frame rails. They're made with a rippled construction to absorb large impacts. I would suspect those have shifted or bent if everything has moved 2 inches

Old 08-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
cesturdy

TO: myfirstyota:
In my original post I made an error. The bumper did not move 2". It moved about 2/4" to 3/4". The corrected: 'a collision tore the bumper cover ....
the bumper remains straight, but it was pushed about 1/4" to 2/4 " towards the driver's side. this is evident by use of a measuring stick, and looking at the bumper i could see the bolts the bumper is attached to seem to be in their original position, it is just that the bumper under the bolts had moved (part of the holes that the bolts were placed had moved and now you see part of the holes). what should i do as it looks that i may have trouble placing another bumper cover on the car since the bumper is farther than it was originally?' I loosened the bolts of the bumper and found some movement back towards the passenger side but still need to move the bumper further. What you called 'the crumple zones' look good. i did not see any remarkable cracks or bending. One of my neighbors suggested i use a sledge hammer against a piece of wood. Another person suggested i use a come-along tied to a tree. i have pictures and will attempt to post these.

Last edited by cesturdy; 08-25-2019 at 02:27 PM. Reason: to indicate who i was specifically replying to
Old 08-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Zip ties!
Old 08-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #7
cesturdy

TO bARBER- zip ties how so or are you just joking?
You said you're not joking. How do i use zip ties for this?

Last edited by cesturdy; 08-25-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: to provide more info in my question
Old 08-25-2019, 07:06 AM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
I’m not joking...

Old 08-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #9
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

To be honest the rear bumper cover of my blue car is held on with zip ties and goop brand glue lol

Old 08-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
cesturdy

how are the zip ties connected? My bumper cover is a front one?
Old 08-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #11
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
My front bumper is held together and on my car with zip ties. Just drill some holes and thread the zip tie through them to stitch it back together. Alternative is to browse ebay for a replacement. The off-brand bumpers can be fairly cheap but I don't know how they are in terms of quality.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #12
heeroyuy01195

Hard to say without looking at the car but sounds like you might need new parts. You can pick up an entire replacement radiator support on ebay for about 100 bucks. Not OEM of course but it will fix the alignment issues you're having. Unless of course the frame is bent. To my understanding, your entire front is out of whack. I would suggest removing the bumper cover and taking a look at what all is bent and see what needs replacing. I've tried to bend/straighten out my damaged parts and I can tell you it's not worth it if you want everything to look and fit together correctly. These parts are designed to crumble and absorb impact so they're kind of a one time use thing.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #13
cesturdy

The following pictures indicate some of the damages as mentioned in my previous messages. What should i do to move the bumper back towards the passenger side? There are also some crimps which i think i may be able to straighten out with pliars. There is a larger crimp in one of the pictures that i need a suggestion about.
The original pictures were not backward. I do not know why they were sent backwards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1185.JPG car damsage 3.JPG (248.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1188.JPG car damage2.JPG (163.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1192.JPG car damage.JPG (258.3 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by cesturdy; 08-25-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: explanation of photos originally not backwards
Old 08-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #14
heeroyuy01195

Looks like your reinforcement bar is pushed pretty far out of whack. Are you sure there isn't any frame damage? You could try loosening the bolts that hold it in place and shift it into place but if there's frame damage then it won't make much of a difference.

Assuming there's no frame damage, I would replace the radiator support or the damaged bits of it and push the reinforcement bar back into position. I mean if you're just trying to get it to a point where you can get the bumper cover and headlight back on then just use a come along and try to bend it back into place.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:33 AM   #15
cesturdy

I had 5 estimates and not one body shop said anything about frame damage. The lowest estimate was $2,990. As for the core support, this body shop was going to replace only the top section... I loosened the bolts and there was about 1/8" movement towards the passenger side. A body shop man that lives in my neighborhood said that I don't need to replace any part of the core support. He suggested that the crimps can be straightened with pliars and a hammer/doily. As for the bumper reinforcement bar, he also recommended that i use a come-along and move it back into place... i also made measurements based on an under the hood diagram of the yaris. I made 12 measurements as indicated in the diagram. Three measurements were good: (1) bumper attachment to bumper attachment-A to a, (2) headlight attachment to back fender attachment- B to D, and (3) back fender attachment to back fender attachment - D to d. The other measurements were off.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:41 AM   #16
heeroyuy01195

Sounds like you know what to do and have a game plan. Best of luck with the repairs!
Old 09-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #17
cesturdy

reply to heeroyuy01195: on further look, there is a slight bend in the deflector panels and in the reinforced brackets. my neighbor brought this to my attention that these should be straight on and not the slightest bend. i returned the come-along and bought some torque wrenches. i also downloaded the official 2007 toyota yaris manual at https://cardiagn.com/2007-toyota-yar...r-manuals-pdf/. Now to order the parts and get busy. Is there a diagram somewhere of the torque to apply to each part? i know these are in the repair manual but wondering if they can be found together in one diagram. also there are so many places to order the parts, which place is the best online site to order parts? can i do after the market, or should i stick with oem?