Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
DIY Hood Cylinder

Not wanting to infringe on the group buy for the same item, I'll start this thread(...thanks to the encouragement of Charles and Brick!)

Ordered the parts today:
MSC #: 00483743----------------$15.43----- 30# cyl w 7" stroke
MSC #: 32912198---2@.72-----$1.44------- ball stud
MSC #: 32912206---2@.24-----$0.48 -------retainer clip
total---------------------------------$17.35

They should be in Thursday, if so I'll have it installed that night. I plan to make a bracket off or the motor mount and another off the hood hinge mount, utilizing the existing bolts, so no drilling and simply a bolt on with no under the fender stud sticking thru to try to put a nut on. I ordered the 30# cylinder because I would rather have more rather than not enough pressure on the first try...I actually think the 20# would be the one but could actually be the 10#.

A post on the group buy thread mentioned cheap isn't always the best, and that may be true, but in this case I have to say these cylinders are every bit the quality that the group buy will be getting, if not from the same manufacturer. I believe this will be the chrome plated cylinder, but not certain because picture doesn't always match (but the cheaper ones show black). Did I mention the total price could be lower by about $3 if someone wanted to scrimp (buying the ends separate from the cylinder).

Congrats to the ones going with the group buy, I'd say they probably buying a good product, and anyone in the business has to make a profit (they're asking a fair price). I'm just offering some savings to the do-it-youselfers at the same quality level (minus the 10 hp sticker) because right now I'm not in the business.

If the parts come in, pics will be posted at least by Saturday....with no drilling or reaching in the fenderwell.