Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Alphadriver

Drives: Yaris
Front pipe exhaust gasket repair

Hello

My mechanic said that I have to replace the Front Pipe gasket located on the exhaust system for my 2009 2 door Yaris. The vehicle is loud when accelerating.

2 Question: how much should this replacement cost( parts plus + labor) at a garage shop northeastern U.S.?

Or is it possible to fix it myself cheaper? I have some mech skills but limited on tools.

Thank you for your help!

Alphadriver
Alphadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It is very easy to change yourself, provided that you can safely get the front off the ground. Simply lift the front, get a long set of extensions for your ratchet (about 16" or more if I remember correctly) and remove the two bolts that connect the center exhaust to the manifold. Once you remove them you can release the two front most rubber exhaust hangers and will have plenty of room to work. The gasket is about $35 from Toyota.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Here's a visual of what you would be looking at:

exhaust access.jpg
Old 07-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Alphadriver

Thank you Scott for info and the pic.
Very helpful! I think I'll take this one on myself.

Thank you
Alphadriver
Old 07-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphadriver View Post
Thank you Scott for info and the pic.
Very helpful! I think I'll take this one on myself.

Thank you
Alphadriver

bolt size is 14 mm, ur in Boston so u have winter and snow i just did mine on 07 and had to use torch to brake bolts loose also a bolt extractor cos the bolts when corroded shrink hard to grab on with socket ...also if they brake ur in for lots of extra work, if u get parts get gasket and bolts with new springs.
I do recommend heat the nut side or they may brake .

just my 2 cents
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Alphadriver

Thank you for your input as well wolf man!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphadriver View Post
Thank you for your input as well wolf man!
shop should charge no more than half hr work plus parts with proper tools it makes the job easier ...i did it at my shop and with the problems i encountered was just over 30 min working on a hoist under the car makes life easier.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Interesting. I have removed them on 4 different Yaris with varying amounts of salt exposure and did not have an issue with any. There is definitely the possibility for them to corrode to where they would be difficult to remove.

I personally would opt for a good soaking with PB Blaster before doing the torch route.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
Exiwolfman

Its hit and miss I find ...mine was a miss lol I think maybe since the new liquid salt they use here it really is bad for cars also the area I'm in lots of that winter crap , mine where about half size smaller had to use extractor socket and heat did not want to risk braking them bad spot for that but yes penetrating fluid in most cases will work for sure.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:34 AM   #10
John Lenin

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris 3-Dr HB Auto
Donut Gasket and Spring Bolt Kit for '09 Yaris from wrenchmonkey.ca = $34.00CDN (which includes shipping) ... just ordered to fix exhaust leak in my car ... had same problem with an '05 Echo I owned several years back ... muffler shop charged my more than double what I just paid for the same parts.
John Lenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #11
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
A relatively inexpensive exhaust shop in my area was $80 to fix. I just ordered a few gaskets off Rock Auto and Canadian tire has bolt/spring kits. Keep in mind I had to buy washers with a larger inner diameter since the ones from Canadian Tire weren't big enough to let the bolt go through.

Mine were very rusted an I had to use a bolt extractor on 1 of the 2 since the bolt head was corroded similar to Exi's.

I'll be changing my bolts. Every 4 years or so because of that. I also used anti seize on the threads and cover the bolt heads in anti rust. Works well, and I do this anytime I have to remove the bolts.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Be warned the front gasket from rockauto does not fit properly. It is slightly too large!

I was warned by the parts dept at my local Toyota dealer that aftermarket gaskets do not fit...

I would get the parts from Toyota and DIY. Front is about 45$ and rear 25$..

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk