Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:40 PM   #55
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
The idea of 'getting what you paid for' doesnt sit well with me. As a paying consumer, I expect to get satisfaction from any purchase that I make, be it $1 or $1,000,000.00.

And for the record, we've had our yaris since nov05. Now nearly 2k kms later, and it has give us no problems at all.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:14 PM   #56
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Let me make myself clear if I have not. I will not ask for a Lexus when I pay for a Yaris. But a Yaris is not cheap. I have come across claims that a well equipped Yaris costs not much less than a similarly equipped Corolla. Needless to say such a Yaris is more expensive than some cars of the same class by a significant margin. So, when I pay for a Toyota, I expect to get Toyota quality. I will accept small imperfections such as a little rattle or harshness if other people's Yarises are not free from them in one way or another. This should be a good way to determine whether I have had a fair deal. Here is where "you get what you pay for" comes in and that is what I can agree to. A Yaris is never meant to be a perfect car, but it should be quite good, if not excellent. However, if after I have checked out in this and other forums that I am the only one having a particular problem, I will not feel guilty bringing my car back to the dealership to ask for a solution. I like rational discussions with fellow members and I have encountered many nice fellow members this far.

Last edited by swng; 02-27-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:40 AM   #57
AutoTech1

Drives: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by as400g33k
The idea of 'getting what you paid for' doesnt sit well with me. As a paying consumer, I expect to get satisfaction from any purchase that I make, be it $1 or $1,000,000.00.

And for the record, we've had our yaris since nov05. Now nearly 2k kms later, and it has give us no problems at all.
Just expect to get what you pay for and in todays market's where manufacturers are watering down their offerings even more, you shouldn't be too surprised...
Old 02-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #58
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
When buying a brand new car what you should get is a car that is well packaged and squeak and rattle free. There is no excuse, especially when the model and chassis are brand new.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:13 AM   #59
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:

So it's OK for a $20k Lexus to produce rattles yet a $20k Yaris is not? Ever been to the markets and bought a big box of oranges for $5 and get a few rotten ones at the bottom? Are you going to go back and complain and demand they give you the most sweetest and juiciest the earth has ever grown out of the ground picked out of the ground by Miss Universe? Go catch a Qantas plane and expect them to give you a 5 star meal and a bed on the plane? I got a sausage roll for dinner on a Virgin Atlantic flight but I paid a reasonable price for it but did that mean that there was problems?? I got what I paid for... if I wanted a good meal, I would have travelled business class. Same goes for your salary. If a job paid peanuts, of course you're going to attract monkeys rather than someone that has relevant experience and qualifications. You get what you paid for. If I cut your salary to $20k, you're not going to do as good of a job as you would if I paid $100k (ceteris parabus - all things being equal)?

Go check out the last Wheels magazine and see what was on offer 10 years ago for $20k brand new. Also think of how much easier it is to buy a $20k car compared to 10 years ago.

Come back to reality. You DO get what you paid for. That's not to say you get crap but it's at an acceptable level that you won't get in many other manufacturer for the same price.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:22 AM   #60
OKJeeper

Drives: 2004 Jeep Wrangler
What you SHOULD get when you buy a car in this price range is a decent small car. They skimp on a lot of things to get the car to this price like features, they keep the design fairly simple, they skimp on sound deadening, smaller engines, smaller wheels and tires, etc. That doesn't mean that the car should be a rattle box. They still have to be responsible for designing the car so that it doesn't shake itself apart. If I have a rattle that I can't fix myself you better believe I'm going to be at the dealership making them fix it.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #61
Polar_Yaris

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5 dr LE Auto
The Yaris is priced above the competitors in its class. Even a Cobalt, Accent...doesn't make that kind of noise...well, I'm just comparing orange to orange. I work for a rental car company and I drove a lot of inexpensive cars. You don't need to expect less from an expensive car.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #62
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
I guess I'm lucky. My baby doesn't have any squeaks or rattles, unless I put things in the glove compartment. Sorry to hear that some of you are having problems.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #63
as400g33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
So it's OK for a $20k Lexus to produce rattles yet a $20k Yaris is not?
Funny, I said nothing of the sort nor implied in any of my posts. What I am trying to say is that you should get satisfaction on your purchase.

Quote:
Ever been to the markets and bought a big box of oranges for $5 and get a few rotten ones at the bottom? Are you going to go back and complain and demand they give you the most sweetest and juiciest the earth has ever grown out of the ground picked out of the ground by Miss Universe?.
I couldn't care less if it was picked by a Miss Universe or a backpacker nor do I care if its the most sweetest and juicest on the planet. What I do expect is for it to be rotten-free. What? I can't go to the grocer and say nicely: 'Dude, I got a couple of bad ones from the bunch you sold me. Could you do something about it?' What do you think the grocer would say? Probably something like: ' Sorry about that mate. Here's a couple for those rotten ones.'

Quote:
Go catch a Qantas plane and expect them to give you a 5 star meal and a bed on the plane? I got a sausage roll for dinner on a Virgin Atlantic flight but I paid a reasonable price for it but did that mean that there was problems?? I got what I paid for... if I wanted a good meal, I would have travelled business class.
If Qantas advertised a 5-star meal, a bed, a foot rub and free drinks for $99 and I bought a ticket and got none of those, would I complain? Hell, yes! Wouldn't you? If a B&B inn advertised a room with a spa, king-sized bed, airconditioning and spectacular views and you go and paid for one and got instead a room with no windows, a broken bed and a smelly airconditioner, would you complain?

Quote:
Same goes for your salary. If a job paid peanuts, of course you're going to attract monkeys rather than someone that has relevant experience and qualifications. You get what you paid for. If I cut your salary to $20k, you're not going to do as good of a job as you would if I paid $100k (ceteris parabus - all things being equal)?

Go check out the last Wheels magazine and see what was on offer 10 years ago for $20k brand new. Also think of how much easier it is to buy a $20k car compared to 10 years ago.

Come back to reality. You DO get what you paid for. That's not to say you get crap but it's at an acceptable level that you won't get in many other manufacturer for the same price.
I am in reality. I expect to get what I paid for, nothing less. If I paid for a product, I expect the product to be free from defects or faults and to contain the features that was advertised for it. In short, I expect a fair trade.

I'm confused though. If there are squeeks, rattles or noises from your brand new car that you find out that is not on other brand new cars of the same make and brand, isn't there obviously something wrong with it? Maybe a fault or a defect? Shouldn't you complain? Or should you just bear it and suffer it for its entire life and be not satisfied with it when others are?

Since you are fond of examples, how about this: Say you bought a no-name brand widescreen plasma tv worth about $2000 from K-Mart and found there is a permanent horizontal white line across the screen. When you tried to return it, they tell you: 'Sorry we can't replace it since its a no-name cheap brand. You should expect defects on its since it is cheap. If you wanted something without defects, you should've bought a Sony or a Pioneer.'

I wonder what you will do...
Old 02-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #64
SmellyTofu
好多人&

You got a new Yaris with airbags, ABS, nice looks and it didn't deliver?

Sony? a good brand? ever heard of the PSP? Anyway, even if I did consider a no-name brand or even a name brand for that matter, if I paid pittens for it, I'd expect it to fall apart on me very soon and hope that some other poor bugger falls apart before mine does. You don't expect a Yaris for $5k would be better than one that cost $20k (ceteris parabus).
Old 02-28-2006, 10:36 PM   #65
as400g33k

Apparently, we have different values when it comes to fair trade. We'll just leave it at that.

And yes, I have heard of the PSP. I have also heard of the psOne, PS2, PS3, Trinitron, Walkman, and the Bravia. What does that have to do with this? Wait, are you trying to imply that all Sony products are crap because of the PSP? Ok. I don't see how that helps your point though.

Since most consumer goods have mandatory warranties nowadays, I will return a defective product to the seller/maker if it broke down within its warranty period. If not, then tough luck, chuck it in the bin and buy a new one.

And yes, I will return a crap PSP if it breaks down (through no fault of my own) within its warranty period.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:40 PM   #66
SmellyTofu
好多人&

At the end of the day, a car is a commodity. The closer you feel attached to it coz of little things you can solve yourself, the more it runs your life rather than the other way around. Life still goes on.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:00 AM   #67
Polar_Yaris

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5 dr LE Auto
Quote:
At the end of the day, a car is a commodity. The closer you feel attached to it coz of little things you can solve yourself, the more it runs your life rather than the other way around. Life still goes on.
One can take it easy at everything but anything should have a standard.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:04 PM   #68
swng

Yes, and Toyota's standard is usually quite high........
Old 03-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #69
AutoTech1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Yes, I agree. At this price, a little rattle and harshness should be expected. However, I will check out with other members first to see if they have the same kind of problems before I decide whether to take any action. If they don't, I will be more concerned. It is wonderful to be able to "listen" to different views from different members on this forum.
This vehicle is going to be very good with materials. I am a litte confused though... Are we talking about the hatch starting at around 10k or the sedan toping out at 13 give or take some? Where do you even get 20K out of that whole deal? Are you in a differnt country? As for USM (United States Market) even though the car will start at 10 or so, the materials in it are upscale looking... That's Toyota for you. I'm going to say it one more time. More affordable car on the spectrum... Bound to be some rattle. But even though this is said, the car (when driven at highway speeds) shouldn't suffer to much from noise outside, except for tire and engine noise. It's pretty good on stopping outside noises from intruding as well as having good materials on the inside for this price.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #70
AutoTech1

Quote:
Apparently, we have different values when it comes to fair trade. We'll just leave it at that.

And yes, I have heard of the PSP. I have also heard of the psOne, PS2, PS3, Trinitron, Walkman, and the Bravia. What does that have to do with this? Wait, are you trying to imply that all Sony products are crap because of the PSP? Ok. I don't see how that helps your point though.

Since most consumer goods have mandatory warranties nowadays, I will return a defective product to the seller/maker if it broke down within its warranty period. If not, then tough luck, chuck it in the bin and buy a new one.

And yes, I will return a crap PSP if it breaks down (through no fault of my own) within its warranty period.
Hey... The PSP is actually quite good... Though I also don't see what this has to do with that.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:55 AM   #71
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTech1
This vehicle is going to be very good with materials. I am a litte confused though... Are we talking about the hatch starting at around 10k or the sedan toping out at 13 give or take some? Where do you even get 20K out of that whole deal? Are you in a differnt country? As for USM (United States Market) even though the car will start at 10 or so, the materials in it are upscale looking... That's Toyota for you. I'm going to say it one more time. More affordable car on the spectrum... Bound to be some rattle. But even though this is said, the car (when driven at highway speeds) shouldn't suffer to much from noise outside, except for tire and engine noise. It's pretty good on stopping outside noises from intruding as well as having good materials on the inside for this price.
I am in B.C.,Canada(see left) and I have paid more than 20k(Canadian) for my car(I have optional features on it). In the first few sentences of my post which you have quoted, I already said that I would accept a little rattle or harshness. However, if after checking out with fellow Yaris owners, I find out that I am the only sufferer of a particular problem, I will liaise with the dealership to see if the problem can be fixed. That stand should probably also be many fellow members' bottom line and is very reasonable, and that is one of the reasons why so many of us join this forum.
Although disagreement is not always a bad thing, we are in fact not in any big disagreement.

Last edited by swng; 03-04-2006 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:13 AM   #72
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
You got a new Yaris with airbags, ABS, nice looks and it didn't deliver?

Sony? a good brand? ever heard of the PSP? Anyway, even if I did consider a no-name brand or even a name brand for that matter, if I paid pittens for it, I'd expect it to fall apart on me very soon and hope that some other poor bugger falls apart before mine does. You don't expect a Yaris for $5k would be better than one that cost $20k (ceteris parabus).
Here's my experiance. If you bought a Focus or Cavalier ( I guess it's called a Cobalt now) and you heard rattles, then you got what you paid for. I totally agree that if there are rattles in the Yaris you have, then go back to the dealer and demand that they do something. The Toyota standard for suppliers is much higher than most of the "Domestic" brands. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you to go in screaming, just keep cool and see if they handle it reasonably. If not, then take it up a step, talk to the sales person's manager. If that still doesn't help take it up a notch again, up to Toyota Canada if neccesary. I don't feel that if you've purchased something brand new that you should feel you need to put up with something like that. My Yaris is very solid. I purchased the 2dr LE. Paid less than 20K, but I still would have complained if my brand new car was sqeaking and rattling. Remember, squeaky wheel gets the grease. Good news travels fast, but bad news travels faster. Just remind them of that.
Closed Thread