Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #19
advocate

Drives: car
whatever you do, I get the feeling I'm going to enjoy reading this thread a lot as you progress on the lonesome journey of econo-box boosting.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:39 AM   #20
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
no matter what you do, the block itself can only hold up to about 168HP before shits gonna go down
This number is based on what?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #21
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
That seems like a veryy accurate number lolololol, might want to take into account that some dynos are conservative too.

If you were going to do it without "building" the engine, atleast try to get a thicker headgasket in there if you wanted to push that little bit more power so you don't have to tear apart the whole block for anything to matter...
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #22
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
the lonesome journey of econo-box boosting
awesome line
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #23
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Why use an auto tranny? I don't think and other Toyota auto tranny has upgrades but not 100% sure on that. Also not to may other trannys will bolt up. Toyota's are not like alot of other car manufactures they don't build what I like to call "Lego" cars Not a whole lot of things cross over between motors or trannys....

Good luck with the project... If you use the Rotex Kit from Power Enterprise it puts down about 145 WHP on a stock motor (I installed the kit on another members car and saw him dyno it on an AWD Mustang Dyno). The kit looks to be very easily upgraded with a small I/C and longer alt. pully (this kit runs off the alt pulley and steps down from stock size to a much smaller size where the s/c belt sits) and should put you in to the range you are looking for.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #24
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
He didn't make 145whp on the AWD Mustang Dyno. ;)
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 AM   #25
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
that number is based on the block structure itself. not exactly sure if it includes components inside but all engines have a block rating. the yaris (1.5L) has a block rating of 168, the buick regal has a block rating of i belive 340ish, i was under the influence that the block rating, no matter how you rebuild it and what you put in, the structure itself will only safely hold 168HP, that dont mean you can't get it to put out 200+HP but its a ticking time bomb and money pit
Old 11-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #26
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

It's not the block that will fail, it's a rod or possibly a valve.
Show me a 1NZ-FE block that failed with nothing else failing first.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 AM   #27
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

These engines are pretty much a dime a dozen, IE: $50 on car-part as you can get them from old echos.... SCORE
Old 11-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #28
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
There is a lot of speculation & guestimates going on here. First to the OP, forget about an auto tranny. No one makes or ever will make a convertor or anything to make the auto handle more HP. Second, no one knows exactly what a stock block can handle or what a built block will handle. What we do know is that the highest recorded HP on a stock block I beleive was Garms (please correct me if Im wrong) @ +/-180 & the highest recorded HP on a built block (again correct me if Im wrong) @ 303. As for a turbo kit, you options are custom, Zage or modifying an xA/xB kit from Greddy or HKS. As for tuning Emanage and FIC work. Rotrex is also an option but I think you'll have a hard time getting one. If you are really going to build a "fast Yaris" just duplicate what Garm has done. He has the highest HP 1NZ here period.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #29
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
that number is based on the block structure itself. not exactly sure if it includes components inside but all engines have a block rating. the yaris (1.5L) has a block rating of 168, the buick regal has a block rating of i belive 340ish, i was under the influence that the block rating, no matter how you rebuild it and what you put in, the structure itself will only safely hold 168HP, that dont mean you can't get it to put out 200+HP but its a ticking time bomb and money pit
Im sorry but only aftermarket blocks have a block rating. And even then that is a guideline # not an exact science. I woulds be very interested in seeing where you came up with the 1.5 block rating. Also Iv owned a GN and you can make a lot more than 340 HP with that block. Also again there is no solid evidence that if you make 200+ HP it is a "ticking time bomb" And if you have it please share with us. An engine, any engine is as good and as the components used to build the engine, as good as the builder itself & the whole combination & use of the engine.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #30
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
the rating on the block i got from toyota, maybe its just their recomandation but i dont understand y they would low ball it. i have no idea, i dont race any cars on a track or professionally. i've seen engines fail and i have also seen blocks fail. it usually has more to do with lack of care and maintanance then too much HP. as i said in my post also, i am under the influence the rating is on the block itslef not internal parts. if you decided to put turbo, nitro, and what ever other riced out shit you could think of without rebuilding the entire motor your gonna be into problems. and i dont know about your GN but the regal has a 3.8 v6 auto tranny is rated with stock motor and tranny not to go in "over excess"(over excess is the exact wording that i was told) of the block rating of 340ish (i dont exactly remember if it was low or high 340's)

so after saying that, let me rephrase my statement, the engine rating of the yaris stock 1.5L is 168HP, over that without a complete engine project will definatly give you a new engine project.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #31
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
but i dont understand y they would low ball it.
Really?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #32
cdydjded

the rating on the block i got from toyota
Toyota directly, like you called Toyota & spoke to a customer service rep?
A Toyota salesman?
A Toyota mechanic?
the rating is on the block itslef not internal parts
Again I dont know where you are getting this info from, but the block is the least of you worries, you will break a rod or piston way befor the block
if you decided to put turbo, nitro, and what ever other riced out shit
American cars also use turbos & N20, are they ricers also?
without rebuilding the entire motor your gonna be into problems
Why? Why cant you boost an engine 5lbs and drive it like it was not boosted
and i dont know about your GN but the regal has a 3.8 v6 auto tranny is rated with stock motor and tranny not to go in "over excess"(over excess is the exact wording that i was told) of the block rating of 340ish (i dont exactly remember if it was low or high 340's)
FYI, a GN is a Regal with a turbo 3.8 V6
so after saying that, let me rephrase my statement, the engine rating of the yaris stock 1.5L is 168HP
Sorry but that is not a fact, that is speculation. Please try not to spread incorrect information. There are enough confused members here already.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #33
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
IDK why anyone is worrying about the block or anything like that. If he isn't gonna build the engine and wants to push the limit I'd assume he'd want to do under 180whp. The question is how much is just right. I'm assuming about 160-170 would be the max and is plenty fast enough.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #34
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
if you decided to put turbo, nitro, and what ever other riced out shit you could think of
A turbo is "riced out shit"? -- you just lost 100% of my respect right there, sir.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #35
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
OUCH! you know you crossed the line when you piss Garm off.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #36
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Damn then apparently my Audi has twice the amount of rice :-/