Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
To install an AFR gauge with sensor, you need to drill and tap, or weld a bung onto the down pipe to mount the gauge's sensor.

I am using NGK Iridium 1X plugs (BKR7EIX-11), which is what Cammell used with it. Iridiums are pre-gapped and aren't supposed to be adjusted, so I left them at their 1.1mm gap (which actually meets the OEM gap spec of 1.0 to 1.1 mm)
Old 07-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #20
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
You should absolutely have a boost, AFR, and water temp gauge when going FI. You're gonna need something to read codes as well, otherwise you're left guessing. I'd grab an oil pressure gauge as well. I know it's tempting to cut corners, but you can't be too safe when it comes to monitoring an engine converted to FI.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #21
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ You don't have to weld a bung if that's a problem in your area. AEM has a solution for that.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/no-wel...unt-2-inch-660

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #22
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
You should absolutely have a boost, AFR, and water temp gauge when going FI. You're gonna need something to read codes as well, otherwise you're left guessing. I'd grab an oil pressure gauge as well. I know it's tempting to cut corners, but you can't be too safe when it comes to monitoring an engine converted to FI.
Well I have the Scangauge II, which displays water temp and oil pressure, right?
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #23
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ You don't have to weld a bung if that's a problem in your area. AEM has a solution for that.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/no-wel...unt-2-inch-660

Garm that's perfect, thanks! I'm not sure where to tap for the AFR, but if it's in the mid-pipe, mine is 2.25" and that looks like it only goes as wide as 2".
Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The AFR sensor needs to go somewhere before the cat.

BTW, the scangauge can't measure oil pressure on the Yaris, since it just has an oil pressure switch, as opposed to a pressure sensor.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #25
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The AFR sensor needs to go somewhere before the cat.

BTW, the scangauge can't measure oil pressure on the Yaris, since it just has an oil pressure switch, as opposed to a pressure sensor.
Gotcha. So AFR, possibly boost, and an oil pressure gauge then. Can I mount on of those A-pillar gauge pods on a car with SRS stamped on the OEM A-pillar?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #26
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
mine is 2.25" and that looks like it only goes as wide as 2".
they have 4 or 5 sizes to pick from, each one is for a range of diameters. I can get you the part if you want one.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGargano View Post
Gotcha. So AFR, possibly boost, and an oil pressure gauge then. Can I mount on of those A-pillar gauge pods on a car with SRS stamped on the OEM A-pillar?
You can mount on the A pillar. The airbag isn't actually under the pillar. The reason for the special clip with "SRS" on it is to keep the A pillar cover from becoming a projectile when the curtain airbag pops next to it.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #28
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGargano View Post
http://www.customgaugepod.com/

Nathan will do you right if you wish to have someone do the work. My pillar is actually on his website. (Adrian)

Tell him that I sent you. If you have him fabricate your pillar he is quick and he will also refab your passenger side so that it matches the driver's side which is a really nice touch.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #29
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
http://www.customgaugepod.com/

Nathan will do you right if you wish to have someone do the work. My pillar is actually on his website. (Adrian)

Tell him that I sent you.
So he actually molded the pods into your existing A-pillar? That's pretty cool. I'll definitely get in touch with him. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #30
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

^ Yes he does. I will take an "inside" pic for you tomorrow and PM you so you can check it out. I also edited my post.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #31
MGargano

Great, thanks
Old 07-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #32
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
The OBDII gauges I've used have been to slow with respect to AFR readings. Makes it hard to tell if you're running lean or rich at a particular moment in time.

Here's the AEM Analog air/fuel gauge, it's quite a bit less expensive:
http://shop.microimageonline.com/AEM...ge-30-5130.htm

Yup...it seems to work really well at least in my experience thus far.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #33
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I have a vacuum/boost gauge, wideband AFR, and oil pressure gauge. I went to a muffler shop and had them weld a bung for the AFR sensor. I'll send you pictures of the ghetto dash setup. :)

I just replied to your PM.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #34
MGargano

Thanks, Noogie. I ran into some serious problems after the install was complete, so unfortunately gauges are the least of my worries right now.

With the boost on or off, the car will not stay running unless I keep my foot on the throttle. If I let off the throttle, the RPMs nose-dive and the car stalls. When it is running, it sounds like it's sputtering/coughing/choking, like it's not getting enough gas.

CTScott has been helping me troubleshoot via PM, but no luck so far.

I checked and re-checked the throttle body, vacuum lines, and injectors and also put my old spark plugs back in and there was no change.

There was also no change when I disconnected the fuel controller, eliminating the electrical portion of the supercharger.

I'm at my wit's end, without a car, and ready to spend another whole day ripping this thing back out and praying that solves the problem, unless anyone else has a suggestion?

I'm also not sure if there's a professional place in the Central/Shore NJ area I can even take the car to, to have them diagnose and possibly repair the problem.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #35
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
hey i tried to PM you this, but your inbox is full. Not to spam but...

you might want to go on www.microimageonline.com and post your problems on their forums. they have some members there that might be able to help you that dont come on this message board. as far as for me, im not sure what the problem is either. sorry
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #36
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Do you have a vacuum leak somewhere? I remember from years ago that my old Chevy would idle very rough due to a vacuum leak. It would only run when the throttle was pressed down.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote