Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #37
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica girl
I was told that my yaris would be here either late march or early april. Hopefully I get it sooner! I don't think any of the '07s have been delivered in Canada yet but I could be wrong.
Sounds about the same time frame as we have here in the states. Must be coming over on the same boat. Or same group of boats. I'm way excited. It will be interesting to see if toyota delivers on time or when they really will get here. I've always been pretty impressed with the toyota folks how they deliver what they say they will do.

Whereas american car people never seem to meet expectations on workmanship or what they say they will do. Sad but true.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #38
hfpieratt

Drives: Toyota Land Cruiser
Hey All!

I'm almost ready for a second car. Wife and I share a Landcruiser but sometimes you need another car. I also would rather spend my money on motorcycles than cars so the Yaris is looking like my best option right now. Somebody on Edmund's was arguing pretty convincingly about the Corolla being a better buy because of sales discounts and equal gas mileage, what do you guys think?
hfpieratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #39
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Um, you simply cannot prove that airbags have saved lives.

What you CAN prove is that airbags have needlessly murdered people.

If you are not the perfect 6' and 180 lbs, then odds are an airbag is more likely to injure you than save you.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #40
foober

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
Um, you simply cannot prove that airbags have saved lives.

What you CAN prove is that airbags have needlessly murdered people.

If you are not the perfect 6' and 180 lbs, then odds are an airbag is more likely to injure you than save you.
good point. I've known a couple of people that have gotten a bad whiplash and bad bruises from the air bags going off. One incident happened when the people accidently ran into their garage door at around 5 miles an hour..
Old 02-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #41
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

oooh, ouch.

I have seen to many stupid stories where the government charges parents with murder when an airbag has killed their child.

Hmm, I think it is the government who makes airbags a requirement, maybe the government should realize it is their own fault.

Just one more area government needs to get out of everyone's life.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:14 AM   #42
flash

Drives: 95 Corolla 275K, 01 Corolla LE
how is this about the Yaris again...?
An airbag saved my wife's life in a head on. PERIOD.

parents letting children be in the front seat is not the gov't's fault. neither is it the gov't's fault when parents let their kids jump around their car without their carseats/seatbelts on. Don't blame the gov't for poor parenting.

I'm a commuter and hope to find one with side curtain airbags and ABS too...
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:26 AM   #43
foober

I just don't understand why the seat belt is not enough to protect people in a crash. Stops your momentum. I've also heard that when the air bag goes off if it doesn't knock you out it covers your face so you can't see to steer away from an accident. I'm sure some people need airbags. But thats their choice.

Personally I wish it were up to the owner whether they want to have them in a car or not. To me from what all I've heard they're more dangerous. But at least we should have the choice whether we want them in the car or not.

Last edited by foober; 02-07-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #44
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash
how is this about the Yaris again...?
An airbag saved my wife's life in a head on. PERIOD.

parents letting children be in the front seat is not the gov't's fault. neither is it the gov't's fault when parents let their kids jump around their car without their carseats/seatbelts on. Don't blame the gov't for poor parenting.

I'm a commuter and hope to find one with side curtain airbags and ABS too...
The government forces people to buy airbags. That is why it is the governments fault.

The government has NO business telling people what they have to get in their cars.

I am glad airbags saved your wife's life. That is good.

However a safety device that has killed people isn't so safe, and shouldn't be forced on people buy a government that has absolutely no idea what it is doing.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #45
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
It's hard to judge neither airbag cost more life than it save or vise versa. Sure, we can look at the stats and point fingers at the government about it. However, accidents happens. And we have no control of that, and we would not know when will airbag save our life or injuried us.

But I do agree on we should have a choice of having airbags or not!
Old 02-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #46
yarisnewfrontier

Drives: silver
Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicpai
.....simply amazed there is already a forum up for this AMAZING BEAUTY OF A VEHICLE!!!!!!!!!!!

This car is a DREAM-COME-TRUE for me (I'm talking of the LIFTBACK, not the sedan).

Laura, I'm wondering if I can ask you some questions??.

Here's my dilemma: While, ON PAPER, this car seems simply awesome, I'm concerned how the REALITY will be: Specifically what I'm talking about is the REAL-WORLD availability of the so called "options". For example, with the previous Echo, Toyota bragged till the cows came home, about safety features like ABS being available....However try finding one at a dealership so equipped and you know what I'm talking about!! (Toyota is really famous for doing these kinds of things!!!)

Now, my big concern is the availabilty of SIDE-CURTAIN AIRBAGS. This is an ABSOLUTE MUST-HAVE, WILL-NOT-COMPROMISE-ON option, but I can already "sense" that when these vehicles actually arrive at dealerships, virtually all vehicles will come WITHOUT these life-saving devices, because a majority of the American public is too stupid to spend the 600 bucks on something that may mean the difference between their LIFE AND DEATH .....Please tell me I'm wrong and that the dealerships will order most vehicles WITH Side curtain airbags?? .....This becomes especially important because the other "MUST-HAVE" is a Manual transmission!!!....a car such as this is simply not right with an automatic!!!

In a nutshell this is what I'm looking for:

LIFTBACK
5-speed Manual
Side-Curtain Airbags
would like the 15" alloys, but flexible on this
(Flexible on all other options, because I know how difficult it is to get the options you want on a Toyota product)

Do you think the above configuration is realistic???

Thanks in advance for your response!!!
\

Hello!! Sorry it took so long- busy taking preorders and educating people about Yaris!!

Your request for a manual LB with side curtain airbags, and 15'' alloys is ABSOLUTELY realistic!! The only question left is.........................................
what COLOR do you want ?

In answer to your other question about SCA- it depends on what is high in demand. Right now it is an option that can be added for $650. Personally, I think all of them SHOULD have it because, as you said, safety is a matter of life and death and I COMPLETELY agree they should all have it. Unfortunately, some people just see it as another expense and would rather not pay for it.
yarisnewfrontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #47
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
It's hard to judge neither airbag cost more life than it save or vise versa. Sure, we can look at the stats and point fingers at the government about it. However, accidents happens. And we have no control of that, and we would not know when will airbag save our life or injuried us.

But I do agree on we should have a choice of having airbags or not!
All I am asking for is the choice. Tell the government to get the heck out of my life. They have enough trouble trying to run the country, never mind running every citizens life as well.

Speaking of preorders, yarisnewfrontier have you gotten many?

It would be really cool if the US yaris gets as many preorders as the Canadians had.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #48
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Quote:

It would be really cool if the US yaris gets as many preorders as the Canadians had.
Bet they would have a lot more preorders if they offered the U.S. what the Canadians get (5-door, tach, RS.....). I would be first in line if they did.
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #49
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgriswald
Bet they would have a lot more preorders if they offered the U.S. what the Canadians get (5-door, tach, RS.....). I would be first in line if they did.
lol, yes I bet they would. The 5 door I can understand, but no tach?

That makes no sense.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:46 PM   #50
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Honestly, I see quite a lot of hatch 3dr or 5dr out on the street in Toronto. It is really that un-popular in the states????
Old 02-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #51
foober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Honestly, I see quite a lot of hatch 3dr or 5dr out on the street in Toronto. It is really that un-popular in the states????
here in montana its really mostly bigger american muscle trucks and big suv's. Which leads me to believe they have a problem with thier self esteem here.. They're gonna be in a world of hurt by next summer if gas prices go up as expected.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #52
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv

Hatchbacks are not very popular in the USA at all. Combine that with the fact that Japanese seem to be getting into Sports Sedans in the thousands, and their simply are not many hatch's to buy in the USA.

Then the ones that are brought over here simply do not sell well. The Mercedes C class is the last example of a good hatch not selling well. Before that was the BMW 325 ti, a great handling car that very few bought.

Americans in their 30s and older all grew up in monstrous station wagons, and they do not have fond memories of them. This causes them to avoid anything that reminds them of a station wagon.

However I think as the teenagers and 20somethings start buying new cars, hatch's will become more popular in the states.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #53
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Another factor that may have affected the popularity of the hatchbacks is the belief that when rear ended, they do not have a trunk to cushion the impact. When tailgated by a large vehicle, a driver of a hatchback is likely to be more nervous. Let us see if the Yaris will change people's thinking and set a new trend in the US.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #54
yarisnewfrontier

Drives: silver
Quote:
All I am asking for is the choice. Tell the government to get the heck out of my life. They have enough trouble trying to run the country, never mind running every citizens life as well.

why,

I have gotten a few preorders- mostly people are just looking for information..... I have a feeling that the Yaris will be more popular than the Prius and every one that I actually get in inventory will be spoken for...
yarisnewfrontier is offline   Reply With Quote