Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Suburban Germ Warfare

Start with the fixings....

Be certain to test the sprayer with tap water so that you can detect leaks. I found a rotten O-ring and had to bogart one off of a neighbor. This process also rinses reside out of the sprayer from previous expeditions.

Bacillus Thuringienesis - a relative of the Anthax bacterium but harmless to humans in recommended doses. You almost have to guzzle it pure before it can harm you.

On many insects it forms "leaks" in their digestive tracts, leading to a miserable death within two or three days. The weather is getting warm and drier so the cabbage moths will be out. I found scum sucking leaf suckers on the bottoms of my Quinoa and I think they're also vulnerable to this bacterium.

This will not be over quickly, they will not enjoy it. However the rest of the world, including fishes and other higher forms of life, will go on ignorant of the pain surrounding them.

Gene

Last edited by GeneW; 06-13-2009 at 09:25 PM.
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
GeneW
Banned

I started upwind and nailed the bordering plants. Then I continued under the net

Gene
Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
GeneW
Banned

A heavier spray delivers more agent more precisely...

Old 06-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
GeneW
Banned

By immunizing surrounding vegetation one removes "bases" where the opposition can develop and grow - insects often have multiple generations during a year. Can't be having that.

Managed to flush out two cabbage moths, who may have been mating, but were quite agitated by the spray. Odd - can they smell the death in it? Didn't get a chance to get a good photo, they were too agile.

Gene

Last edited by GeneW; 06-13-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
GeneW
Banned

Next door neighbor is growing cabbage and broccoli, which are primo "sites" for cabbage moths. So I loaned him some Bt spray, which will protect his plants for a week or two. They will mature roughly in August so he's not going to eat them any time soon. What are neighbors for?

Gene
Old 06-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
GeneW
Banned

Followed this procedure with clean up of the tools. Contiuned cleanup with laundering the clothes I was wearing and taking a shower. Bt is harmless but good practices with any garden toxin or germ agent is prudent.

Gene
Old 06-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
Good stuff I have used it before. I wish there was a biological made for rodents (snicker)
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote