Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #37
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pariahdecss View Post
My other question about an HO alternator, don't you get a larger belt drive load on the engine, unless it is some radical high efficiency design. I wouldn't want a HO alternator if it would kill my fuel economy - or is the added load negligible?

Mike
In my 97 mazda 626 (4clynder) I didn't notice any different in engine performance/mpg's when i upgraded from stock 80amp alt to 160amp (custom built)... Yeah... my mpg's did go technically down... but I couldn't tell.. I'm guessing it was less than .5mpg. Yaris might be more affected... I dunno... the mazda had like 120hp.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #38
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
ya you dont to want loose any horsepower with yaris cuz we already dont have enough to go around :) dont think you really would lose any at all with a higher output alt inless the brearings are shot but and i would think it would burn a belt long before you had a chance to lose horsepower what i am looking for is a denzo alt that looks the same but even bigger in size with same mounting points with a 100amp plus output does anyone know of such a alt on another toyota product dont want to look at a big ass ugly gm alt on a pint size motor looking for some good leads i cant be the only yais guy here that needs much more alt output for a big stereo system
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #39
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyracer View Post
ya you dont to want loose any horsepower with yaris cuz we already dont have enough to go around :) dont think you really would lose any at all with a higher output alt inless the brearings are shot but and i would think it would burn a belt long before you had a chance to lose horsepower what i am looking for is a denzo alt that looks the same but even bigger in size with same mounting points with a 100amp plus output does anyone know of such a alt on another toyota product dont want to look at a big ass ugly gm alt on a pint size motor looking for some good leads i cant be the only yais guy here that needs much more alt output for a big stereo system
after i got around too it i looked into the http://www.excessiveamperage.com/ link from the second post in this thread (been kinda busy lately) and the guy quoted me $430 for 180A @ idle + s&h to ak + red flake paint. All i've read about them is good stuff, and so far the customer service is awesome. give them a try.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #40
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyracer View Post
thats why you go high efficiency.... no need for lots of power.
I'll only be running 500watts on my stereo... course i'll be doing sq, and won't actually have a "sub"... but rather dual 8" midbass drivers up front. If that's not enough.... maybe someday i'll add a 10" glassed in the back with say 200 watts. But I doubt i'll need that... Bass up front is a very cool experience and tricks the mind into thinking its louder than it really is.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #41
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Taln,

I'd swear you and I are the only people who put thought into the idea of up front bass...
Old 03-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #42
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Taln,

I'd swear you and I are the only people who put thought into the idea of up front bass...
yeah... which is exactly why you want me to drive up to your place and bribe you with burgers & beer in order to get you to help me install my stuff.

See, you REALLY want to hear a similar... but very different install and see how it compares to yours.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:24 AM   #43
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Uhh ever listen to a good sounds system in a mercedes or BMW before? Now thats good sounding music! Stock! And yes, bass comes from the front speakers as well.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #44
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
Uhh ever listen to a good sounds system in a mercedes or BMW before? Now thats good sounding music! Stock! And yes, bass comes from the front speakers as well.
yeah.... done the "premium" mercedes stereo thing before.... Ever sit in a car setup for IASCA SQ comps?

Ever feel a car play 10hz tones? Yes... I said feel... not hear... cause you won't hear it... you only feel it... feel it on your air drums... weird feeling.

Fact remains.. even in those "premium" stock setups the raw drivers being used still aren't that great.... bt they are blended in via eq tricks about as good as can be expected.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #45
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

Drives: 2009 5spd LB
Thanks guys - I am only running at about 600W RMS - and as I understand it the stock ALT is 80AMP. I did upgrade my battery "ground to chassis" to 0/1 gauge and I seem to be fine

I no longer have the desire to make my ears bleed like I did when I was younger. I am actually downgrading my subwoofer from a 12" to a 10" - the 12 is too much sub (for me) in this car. Anyone want the Infinity 12" Kappa Perfect sub in a Q-logic sealed box that I am getting rid of?
pariahdecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #46
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

pari,

I hear your feeling on the lessening of the "need" for bass ouput. I have I don't know how many bass CDs that are just sitting in my CD case that will never be used again...

Potentiometers are a great idea!

I have a bit of "fear" with part of my system plan. 2200 potential Watts on two 12" woofers is an idea that makes me grit my teeth. At least you can control the output with the previously mentioned potentiometer!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #47
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
I have a bit of "fear" with part of my system plan. 2200 potential Watts on two 12" woofers is an idea that makes me grit my teeth. At least you can control the output with the previously mentioned potentiometer!
pussy
Old 03-25-2009, 02:01 AM   #48
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

LOL! I hear you. The guys at the shop are saying the same thing! Give me a good recording over loud bass any day! Oh...and pass me my Metamucil and adult diapers too!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #49
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
LOL! I hear you. The guys at the shop are saying the same thing! Give me a good recording over loud bass any day! Oh...and pass me my Metamucil and adult diapers too!
why can't you have both.... if you want a cool cd, very well recorded... pick up the score to the movie The 5th Element... there's a track in there that drops down to single digit tones... I think as low as 6hz. I've got it laying around somewhere.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #50
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Oh I hear that. I've got quite a few Telarc/Erich Kunzel albums. I LOVE the sound effects tracks on some of those.

I'm pretty particular about what labels I buy for critical listening. I'm a big fan of Telarc and Sheffield Labs.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #51
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Drives: 07Liftback/07sedanS
How much do you guys think the stock alternator can handle as far as amp Wattage go's.

Im running a 700watts amp and I want to add another 200watt 4channel for the rest of the speakers besides the sub. Do you all think thats pushing it?
GnomeBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #52
talnlnky
Audio Junky

You should be fine... if the stock alt is really an 80amp.
also.. if that 700 watt amp is a class D, then you'll be fine for sure as they are more efficient.

The type of music you listen to really matters too....
Old 06-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #53
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
my next project will be 8" two way focal speakers in the rear quarter panels with custom built sealed elclosers there is plenty of room for them it will match the front pod style i have with carbon fiber inlay with a removable grill just like the back also

pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote