Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2015, 01:20 AM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyone View Post
The problem with this biased list from U.S. News is that most people will only take notice of the rankings. It will be assumed that if the Yaris comes near last on the list there must be good reason. Why take the time to read the fine print when the work has been done and summarised for you with numbers?
This is beyond pathetic, but unfortunately I think you are correct. Personally, I don't understand the lack of curiosity re the 'methodology'. I do, but many Americans don't consider agenda, motive, and vested interests when it concerns information that is being communicated to them via various media. Is it reasonable to expect more than this likely pathetic truth when 2 out of 5 American voters can't name the 3 branches of their own federal government ? I learned about the three branches of our federal government at home (while in elementary school), something we later covered in class. Even a graduate of the worst high school in the U.S. shouldn't be granted a diploma without knowing this).... and students at reasonably selective universities who can easily espouse on inane current pop culture references, sometimes get tongue tied re even the most basic questions about important current events and the most prominent figureheads within our federal government.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 02-22-2015 at 01:53 AM.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #20
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
I just traded my yaris for a 2015 corolla. I was simply ready for more room and more sedated highway cruising. the corolla is using an "old" platform and the same engines in all but the eco plus model. however, having owned a 10th gen corolla for 3 years, i can say the interior and NVH(even on the base model) is so far ahead of where it was its hard to believe.

using the same engines and platform for a long period lends itself to long term reliability/durability. my opinion is that the yaris suffers from having the most spartan looking interior in its class and a poorer than average noise/overall harshness intrusion into the cabin.

if I had not gotten the deal I wanted, I was perfectly fine driving the yaris for a long time because I trusted it to do what I needed for a long time.

still, I think with the next gen a better interior, a sheetmetal change, and a cvt that boast something like 32/42 will be a big help. imo, the platform and engine could remain.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
I just traded my yaris for a 2015 corolla. I was simply ready for more room and more sedated highway cruising. the corolla is using an "old" platform and the same engines in all but the eco plus model. however, having owned a 10th gen corolla for 3 years, i can say the interior and NVH(even on the base model) is so far ahead of where it was its hard to believe.

using the same engines and platform for a long period lends itself to long term reliability/durability. my opinion is that the yaris suffers from having the most spartan looking interior in its class and a poorer than average noise/overall harshness intrusion into the cabin.

if I had not gotten the deal I wanted, I was perfectly fine driving the yaris for a long time because I trusted it to do what I needed for a long time.

still, I think with the next gen a better interior, a sheetmetal change, and a cvt that boast something like 32/42 will be a big help. imo, the platform and engine could remain.

Wow. When dogs ride or a dog rides with you will he/she/they still be as comfortable ?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #22
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Wow. When dogs ride or a dog rides with you will he/she/they still be as comfortable ?
it will be different. the 11th gen corolla added a lot of back seat space, so (if I travel with all 4) the 2 smaller dogs will be relegated to the floor behind the front seats. on the other hand, carrying them in the rear of the yaris meant giving up carrying much cargo, which wont be an issue now.

I should be a big SUV owner, but until they sell one for $16k and it gets 40 real world mpg on the highway, that's not happening.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #23
lenzomaru

Drives: 07' Yaris S & 89' Mazda 323 LX
Quote:

The road noise is really annoying at times, as where i live do not have the best roads.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
it will be different. the 11th gen corolla added a lot of back seat space, so (if I travel with all 4) the 2 smaller dogs will be relegated to the floor behind the front seats. on the other hand, carrying them in the rear of the yaris meant giving up carrying much cargo, which wont be an issue now.

I should be a big SUV owner, but until they sell one for $16k and it gets 40 real world mpg on the highway, that's not happening.
. My cousin could transport her dog or paintings in her Saab 900 convertible...not a hatch, but had a nicely finished trunk and the rear seats folded all the way forward. Before we left for China to pick up the baby (my little cousin), she traded the 900 in on a new Ford Escape. She also bought one of those powder coated barriers, just in case there were any issues with the dog getting a little too enthusiastic with the baby (ended up not being an issue). Eventually, near the 'end of the road' for the original dog, she got another dog and both fit fine in the cargo area behind the back seat.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 PM   #25
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
"It does not boast best-in-class horsepower, the most gears in its transmission, quickest acceleration or highest fuel economy. Instead, it entices educated shoppers who value an attractive sticker price, low cost of ownership and time-proven reliability. The Yaris is not the most exciting or best-driving vehicle in the subcompact segment, but its quantifiable strengths appear to make it the most trusted choice - a much-respected position that appears to sit just fine with Toyota." -- Autoblog
I agree the Yaris is no tire burner but my SE handles pretty darn well and is just as good at any other sub compact at zipping around city streets and is a snap to park. Plus the fact its a hatchback i can put stuff in there i could never get in a 4 door sedan car like a 30 gallon water heater from Lowes lol :) Those Yaris haters can go pound salt as far as I am concerned.
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:00 AM   #26
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
Those Yaris haters can go pound salt as far as I am concerned.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #27
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
Echo/Yaris are at home in urban areas. The road noise isn't a big deal for me; the crappy seats are.

Most of what makes these cars good won't show up in anything but a long-term test. It took about a year, but the Echo went from one of my most hated cars, to one which I would gladly purchase again if the 9th gen Rollas weren't so much easier to find and a better value!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #28
timothyone

Drives: 2014 l standard 3 door
Toyota has installed a very sophisticated anti-road noise system in the later model Yaris, the controls of which sit in the center of the dash, just above the heat-A/C controls. It even comes with a very useful intensity control knob. Properly adjusted it prevents me from hearing any outside noise.
timothyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:27 PM   #29
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
Ive twisted the knobs on that contraption. Found its effectiveness decreases with speed. ..absolutely no effect above 50mph no matter how hard Jimmy Buffet is trying.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #30
momaterials

Drives: Yaris 2013 1.3 99 HP 6 speed
i dont believe that a Spark is better than a Yaris ,not true
momaterials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #31
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaterials View Post
i dont believe that a Spark is better than a Yaris ,not true
I second that!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #32
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
I second that!
I 3rd that. If I was to stay in the economy compact segment there would have to be some serious custom upgrades for me to even consider a GM in the segment. Even then I would only consider.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #33
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I 3rd that. If I was to stay in the economy compact segment there would have to be some serious custom upgrades for me to even consider a GM in the segment. Even then I would only consider.
I am the same way, I would consider a Ford before a GM. The Spark has some reliability issues from what I have heard.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:55 AM   #34
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
I agree as well.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #35
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
I am the same way, I would consider a Ford before a GM. The Spark has some reliability issues from what I have heard.
My biggest curiosity is why with today's manufacturing facilities GM doesn't bother to take the honest blame that they cut corners and do not perform dye diligence when engineering parts as well as proper QA on parts from 3rd parties. Especially when those 3rd parties have noted defect issues in the past.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #36
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
My biggest curiosity is why with today's manufacturing facilities GM doesn't bother to take the honest blame that they cut corners and do not perform dye diligence when engineering parts as well as proper QA on parts from 3rd parties. Especially when those 3rd parties have noted defect issues in the past.
Good question, Google "GM Piston Slap" for a good read. My old 2002 Saturn SL2 had what I am sure was a piston slap noise which started around the 50k mile mark. I got rid of it at 90k for a new Mustang vert... lol

Tags
best new car, list, u.s. news, yaris